wifi help/questions

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44782

kidd2108

24-08-2006 21:19:23

First off, im not very good with computers. Ive been readling a bit on wifi and all that stuff. Right now im in a hotel and conected through their wireless network. I know how all that works,but my question is can other computers get/hack into my laptop?

While looking through the wireless connections I saw that another laptop was in the "wireless conection screen." If I clicked it, I could connect to it. Does it mean that, someobody else was trying to connect to me or was it already connected?

Lastly, I have AVG anti-virus, and zone alarm(the free version). My firewall is set to medium, because when I set it to high, I could not connect via wifi, unless it was set to medium. This is what medium says

"Sharing modeComputers can see your computer and share its resources. This setting is recommended for the trusted zone only."

this site was very helful,but it didnt answer those questions.
http//www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-traveler-hotspot-1.htm

am i safe with what I have? Is there anything I need to do?

+karma to all that help the most. wink

hehehhehe

24-08-2006 21:25:12

No, it's not really that safe as you're on the same network as other people you don't know. However, just make sure none of your folders are shared, turn off the computer when you're not using it, do not use any important websites where your passwords aren't encrypted (they should be if they're important) and you should be fine. It kind of matters on how paranoid you are. VPN is an option but it is a pain in the ass if you're not computer savvy.

kidd2108

24-08-2006 22:08:14

[quoteda8295a4c2="hehehhehe"]No, it's not really that safe as you're on the same network as other people you don't know. However, just make sure none of your folders are shared, turn off the computer when you're not using it, do not use any important websites where your passwords aren't encrypted (they should be if they're important) and you should be fine. It kind of matters on how paranoid you are. VPN is an option but it is a pain in the ass if you're not computer savvy.[/quoteda8295a4c2]

thanks for the help. +k. Im not really paranoid, its just that from what i read, its really easy for other computers to connect through each other w/o the other person knowing.

I havent signed on to anything...except FIPG. 8)