ATTN: If you're having login problems since FiPG re-opened

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44768

dmorris68

24-08-2006 18:14:08

I'm going to temporarily sticky this since the question keeps getting asked and I've typed it out more times than I can count already. Please read the WELCOME BACK! thread which I'm also stickying temporarily.

[b88d0d00237]IF YOU ARE HAVING LOGIN PROBLEMS SINCE FiPG RE-OPENED[/b88d0d00237]

Whether not being able to login at all, or not being able to auto-login after you check the box, this is a cookie problem on your end, not a problem with the forums. The technical reasons are a bit complicated to explain, but basically the move to a new host has "confused" any FreeiPodGuide cookies you have left over from the old host. The solution is to clear those cookies, and any cached references to the old forums/host.
  1. [li88d0d00237]Delete all cookies. If you know what you are doing (meaning I don't have to explain how to do it), and are careful and thorough, then you can get away with deleting the specific cookies in question. Otherwise, just kill them all for good measure. Most of the time this is sufficient to resolve the problem, but if not, see the next step regarding history/cache.
    [li88d0d00237]Clear all browser history/cache (Temporary Internet Files for IE). Again, if you know what you're doing, you might be able to surgically remove the offending items, but if you continue to have problems, nuke it all.
    [li88d0d00237]Close ALL instances of your browser. This includes the Downloads window for Firefox, and any other windows opened by your browser process. All browser processes have to be completely shutdown and reloaded from scratch for the in-memory cache to be cleared.
    [li88d0d00237]To be really sure, reboot your PC. This shouldn't normally be necessary, but if your browser is holding open any phantom processes (like Firefox has been known to do), this will ensure all browser-related junk is cleared out.
    [li88d0d00237]Now start your browser and attempt to login. It should work now.[/listo88d0d00237]

kdollar

30-08-2006 17:06:19

what a genius! u should prolly lock this )

johnjimjones

30-08-2006 17:12:27

yeah you wouldnt want the post whores to spam the place up.