PIC microcontrollers....

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44623

cwncool

21-08-2006 12:08:43

Can someone reccomend me some good sites or good books to check out about programming and building circuits with PIC microcontrollers? Thanx!

dmorris68

21-08-2006 13:38:22

Have you checked out the Basic Stamp? It's pretty popular for folks getting started.

Just Google for "basic stamp"

cwncool

21-08-2006 14:20:12

is it as well documented? which one would you reccomend and why over something like a PIC16F84?

dmorris68

21-08-2006 14:26:28

[quoted6a87d1891="cwncool"]is it as well documented? which one would you reccomend and why over something like a PIC16F84?[/quoted6a87d1891]
It's extremely well-documented, it's probably the most popular hobbyist PIC ever. The other pre-packaged kits (PIC+Software+Tutorial) you find are just knock-offs of the stamp. It probably depends on how much of a programmer you are -- Stamp still uses a customized version of BASIC (although C might be an option now), while some of the others require C.

Of course if you're a hardcore coder then you can take any bare PIC and go to town. But if you're just starting out and learning, I recommend the kits.

cwncool

21-08-2006 14:44:24

i've done a few kits previously. can you link me to a good Basic stamp and a programmer for it or a package of the two? do you think I should get something such as the basic stamp homework board with the controller built in, or should i just get the controller and use it on my own protoboard...

i have a lot of questions. if you don't mind answering them, can you maybe PM me an AIM, MSN or yahoo messenger account that I can talk to you on, if you have one?

dmorris68

21-08-2006 14:49:14

[quote3d9569098f="cwncool"]i've done a few kits previously. can you link me to a good Basic stamp and a programmer for it or a package of the two? do you think I should get something such as the basic stamp homework board with the controller built in, or should i just get the controller and use it on my own protoboard...

i have a lot of questions. if you don't mind answering them, can you maybe PM me an AIM, MSN or yahoo messenger account that I can talk to you on, if you have one?[/quote3d9569098f]
I'm afraid I can't be much specific help, as it's been YEARS since I fooled with a Stamp. I'm sure with Google you can find all you need to know.

A PIC by itself obviously isn't very useful, so depending on what you want to build with it, you'll need your own components, board, etc. If you lijustli want to learn how to program one, buy one of the kits that has a proto-board and/or other components. Last I looked there were a LOT of varieties of Stamp kits. I think Radio Shack even sells them (overpriced, of course).

As far as programming, back when I worked with them you didn't need a separate programmer. They were programmed via the software and a serial cable.

cwncool

21-08-2006 18:00:32

my radio shack doesn't carry anything D . so there are no books that you've read about them you would reccomend?

dmorris68

21-08-2006 19:43:36

[quotec012d2c2b2="cwncool"]my radio shack doesn't carry anything D . so there are no books that you've read about them you would reccomend?[/quotec012d2c2b2]
Not off the top of my head, like I said, it's been years. But there are a bunch of PIC/Stamp books out there. Check out Jameco, they usually have decent prices and used to have a selection of Stamp kits and PIC books. I get a lot of my electronic components from them.

cwncool

21-08-2006 20:04:44

well, i think i'm gonna go with the PIC. it [ibb8821d532]can[/ibb8821d532] be programmed with BASIC or C (which I like) or assembler, i guess, and they are a lot cheaper than the basic stamp. i know the basic stamp runs with more features and probably faster, but the price difference is way difference. the stamp 2 is like $50, or I could get a nice begginers PIC for $5 or $6...

dmorris68

21-08-2006 20:15:56

[quote734e26f992="cwncool"]well, i think i'm gonna go with the PIC. it [i734e26f992]can[/i734e26f992] be programmed with BASIC or C (which I like) or assembler, i guess, and they are a lot cheaper than the basic stamp. i know the basic stamp runs with more features and probably faster, but the price difference is way difference. the stamp 2 is like $50, or I could get a nice begginers PIC for $5 or $6...[/quote734e26f992]
Whatever works for you, but you do realize that $5 PIC is just the uC itself, while the Stamp contains a PIC plus all the necessary infrastructure components to make it useful out of the box, right? It's all on a little circuit board with the RS-232 UART, ADC/DAC, battery terminal, etc. Sure, you can buy a $5 bare PIC but what are you going to do with it if you don't have a programmer and a circuit with all the other components to actually make it do something? If you don't already have that stuff, you'll be out more money than for a Stamp. That's why the Stamp is so popular, it's self-contained and easy to get started with.

But if you're aware of all that and have it covered then a bare PIC might better suit your needs. However due to the nature of your request, I'm thinking you don't have a lot of uC experience, so I'm wondering if you wouldn't be getting a bit over your head. ;)

And BTW there are some knock-off Stamp-like PIC kits out there too, I just don't remember their specifics. None as popular as the genuine Stamp though.

cwncool

21-08-2006 21:04:48

yes, i know all of those things. I was planning on getting the PIC16F84 from the Microchip sample page and then getting a protoboard from frys. then i'll read tutorials and order neccesary components (compacitors, resistors, etc.) although the stamp 2 is appetizing D

cwncool

23-08-2006 12:31:18

do you know the difference between the PIC16F84A-04/P and the PIC16[bf29773b5a0]L[/bf29773b5a0]F84A-04/P? They can be programmed the same, right?

dmorris68

23-08-2006 13:06:35

The L model is a low-voltage model, capable of running with less power, however that should probably lower it's speed. It's a 4Mhz rated part same as the 84A, but I'm not sure to what voltage that speed applies.

Best bet is to grab the datasheet for both PIC's and compare the specs line by line. Functionally they are identical, so programming lishouldn'tli be any different. But your circuit design could be.

cwncool

23-08-2006 13:17:47

okay. i don't think that should be too big of a problem for now. i won't be building anything big ATM, just learning. i was just wondering because I on MicroChip's sample website, I can only sample the L model...