My car got stolen...then found?!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44253

kposse77

07-08-2006 15:11:40

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. Was going to go food shopping with the wife, so we walked down the block to our car to find that it had gone missing. Thinking that I just forgot where I had parked it last, we walked about a 6 block radius looking for it. After realizing that it was gone, we checked our plate number on line to see if it had been towed or ticketed for some strange reason. No dice, so we call our local precinct to file a report. First weird thing is that they tell me to call 911 to report it stolen. I thought that was for emergencies only?

Anyway, call 911, they say they'll send someone as soon as possible, and about an hour or so later (~230PM), a couple of cops show up and start grilling us about who has access to the keys, when was the last time we saw it, etc., etc., etc. We explain that we don't really drive around to much, during the week, the only time we get in the car is when we need to go shopping or to move it for alternate-side parking. So they keep asking about who had the keys and why was there no broken glass anywhere near where the car was supposedly parked. I figured they were asking because we may have been trying to scam the insurance co. or something, because after we explained to them that it's kind of a POS and we don't even have insurance for theft, they seemed to lighten up a bit. After about an hour of filling out paperwork and what not, they leave and we figure the car is gone for good.

About 10 PM, we hear someone buzzing every apartment in the building and pounding on the front door. I go downstairs to see who it is (our intercom is broken) and it's the two cops and they don't look too happy. I open the door

Me Hey officers, how's it going?
Cop #1 Go get your girlfriend.

That was it. No, "good news we found your car." No, "hey how's it going?" Anyway, I go upstairs, tell my wife to get dressed and go back downstairs. I ask what's going on and cop 1 tells me they found the car. I say, "great!" but then he gets into the details

- it's a few blocks away
- there's a beer bottle on the top of the car
- the locks weren't tampered with
- doesn't look like they had to hotwire the car

So while I'm waiting for my wife to come downstairs, they take turns asking me if I was driving drunk. First off, I'm not going to admit that hey, maybe I was drinking and ditched our car (I wasn't and didn't). But they were positive this is what happened.

My wife gets downstairs and they give her the same treatment. After a few minutes of that, they tell us where the car is and say ok you can go pick it up. Then they take off. We gathered our stuff together and start walking a few blocks to the car. When we get there, we find the cops sitting around the car and chatting with another unit. We're kind of thinking, "thanks for the lift" but we get over it and walk toward the car.

While my wife goes to check it out, one of the officers is writing some information on the back of a book (my name, my wife's name, my dob, the plate number of the car) and then hands it to me to sign it. I ask him what do I need to sign this for, and he tells me it's a release. I scanned the sheet and there's nothing on there other than the information listed above. In my mind, I said fuck it and signed the sheet. Then I start walking over to the car. It's been completely rooted through, I had a golf club in the trunk that ended up in the front passenger seat, the glove box is ransaked. Whoever took it left the lights on so the battery is dead and the topper is, it's in the middle of a 2-way street. How no one called it in or noticed it is beyond me. My wife says she'll stay with the car while I go get our battery booster (the cops of course, don't offer to jump the car or maybe stay with my wife while I go get the booster, which was public service at its best) so I ran back to the house, grabbed the booster, and ran back up. I don't live in the worst neighborhood or anything, but like I said, the car was in the middle of the street, no power to light the hazards, and it was on an avenue, not a side-street, so I felt a little compelled to rush back. I'm not saying the cops weren't right to be a little suspicious (We couldn't believe any of this was going on), but they were kind of being dicks about it.

Anyway, that was my crazy Sunday. Thanks for reading, and thanks to the NYPD for showing some CPR[=http//www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pap/papqap.html#CPR_Unit]CPR

Averagejoe1039

07-08-2006 15:18:07

Yep, the Po-Po are some of the biggest assholes you will ever met. (No offense HairyFerry)

Vector

07-08-2006 15:18:15

I was confused about the whole situation about how the cops were so lazy and rude until you said NYPD D

As far as the car being stolen, that is just messed up.

What I am kind of confused about is why you would go home and go online to check to see if your car has been ticketed and see that it is not and why you would think that your care being stolen is NOT an emergency.

geej86

07-08-2006 15:19:00

jeez. so you think they had a set of keys that worked with your car? good story though and glad you got your car back

edit i wouldnt consider my car being stolen an emergency either, unless i was carjacked or something

kposse77

07-08-2006 15:22:53

[quoteae2d55bd1d="Vector"]What I am kind of confused about is why you would go home and go online to check to see if your car has been ticketed and see that it is not and why you would think that your care being stolen is NOT an emergency.[/quoteae2d55bd1d]

Dunno, I always kind of associated 911 with life or death emergency. I was checking to see if it was towed using they're online system, they have the same system for outstanding tickets, so I figured if it was stolen and ditched, I may have been able to figure out where it was.

kposse77

07-08-2006 15:25:06

[quote5fb9b1f8fb="geej86"]jeez. so you think they had a set of keys that worked with your car? good story though and glad you got your car back

edit i wouldnt consider my car being stolen an emergency either, unless i was carjacked or something[/quote5fb9b1f8fb]

Well, my wife actually mentioned that one time she was able to get into someone else's car with our keys as well. It's a 1990 Toyota Camry, which there are like a million of rolling around in our neighborhood. She didn't notice she was in the wrong car until she saw there was a different version of the club on the steering wheel.

Driscollv2

07-08-2006 16:01:01

did you leave it unlocked and how did they start it without hotwiring or keys? Although I once had a friend where all you had to do was turn the ignition.

YourGiftsFree

07-08-2006 17:22:36

Wow.. I hope everything is ok with your car and all. NYPD.. wow.

hilaryfanatic09

07-08-2006 17:27:21

My dads brand new truck got broken into today, but when they figured out they couldnt steal it, they just took his wallet. Its pretty ghetto.

He got it I think exactly two weeks ago.

Thats definitely a weird fucking story though. It kind of bothers me, I was hoping to find out the answer to the mystery at the end.

YourGiftsFree

07-08-2006 17:31:29

Keep us updated is anything happnes.

drummer_kew_03

07-08-2006 17:43:52

I can unlock my Chevy Astro with the key from my Chevy Malibu. It's not a perfect fit, but it works. shrug

irannaked

07-08-2006 18:55:21

I have my old family van... Red ford Van from 1995...no power windows...and over 200,000 miles ARGG!!

But, it's all i have and im poor (

kposse77

07-08-2006 19:45:29

[quote2b9fa21320="Driscollv2"]did you leave it unlocked and how did they start it without hotwiring or keys? Although I once had a friend where all you had to do was turn the ignition.[/quote2b9fa21320]

As far as I remember, the doors were locked. We didn't put the club on, which was dumb, but we've been living here for over 6 years with nary a problem...

UniPrize Media

07-08-2006 20:40:14

Its a good thing that they didn't take anything. Cops are just lazy ass people who like to abuse their powers. They should have been more assisting to you. Wish me luck, I am calling the cops tomorrow regarding my stolen credit card.

hairyferry

07-08-2006 20:58:09

[quotef6999b7607="Averagejoe1039"]Yep, the Po-Po are some of the biggest assholes you will ever met. (No offense HairyFerry)[/quotef6999b7607]

Yeah don't worry about it. A lot of cops are on power trips and are huge ass holes. I'll admit it, I tend to treat people the way I'd want to be treated.

Dave82

08-08-2006 08:19:46

Yeah, but make sure your wife looks in the backseat from now on before she gets in because obviously someone else can get in. Not to scare you, but just be careful.

I go to school in downtown cleveland and i swear women here always look under their car and in the back before they get in and it isnt even a bad area.

TryinToGetPaid

08-08-2006 08:26:14

No offense to anyone who is a cop, has a cop in their family, or knows a cop. But I hate cops more than I hate anything else in the world. When I am pulled over, I have a pad and a pen and ask them their name and badge number, because apparently if you are mistreated by a cop, but only know the number on his car, the station will not help you out at all.

My hatred to the police stems from wrongfully being pulled over several times, handcuffed and slammed on concrete for no reason, and having a gun pulled on me for a routine stop. (The cops who live here are some of the most corrupt cops anywhere, the ex-police chief (my friends dad) wrote a book on the whole thing called "Because They Could".

Dave82

08-08-2006 08:42:36

[quote0c9aa01341="TryinToGetPaid"]When I am pulled over, I have a pad and a pen and ask them their name and badge number, because apparently if you are mistreated by a cop, but only know the number on his car, the station will not help you out at all. [/quote0c9aa01341]

So true! If you dont have atleast a badge number you are SOL. And even if you do, you are still probably SOL.
But dont have the pad and pen waiting bc that pisses them off. Wait until they are done with their speech and then ask if you can write down their badge number (they have to say yes).

That is SOO fucked up that you live in brooklyn NY and cops would not wait with your wife while you ran home, nevermind the fact those lazy fatties didnt drive you home to get it. I mean, it is our tax dollars paying their gas and we all know they arent exactly trying to save. And actually you can file a report because if the batteries didnt work and the car was in the middle of a road with no hazard lights it is a safety violation. They have to atleast put up cones or have one of them stand there or call to get it towed.

Maybe it is the cops in brooklyn. I am from DC and our cops are too busy, things take forever like in NYC. My gf is in med school here (cleveland) and shadows at Metro hospital which is in a BAD area. Whenever something goes down, 30 cops are there in no time, period.

Tsmith10803

08-08-2006 09:06:40

I live in westchester New York, right outside the city, and if any of you know it...it's not a bad area....to say the least )

But whenever i'm in the city I really like the cops...like I got mugged in the city a few weeks ago on St.Marks (don't ask) and the cops were really helpfull...but in westchester, the cops drive around looking for parties to bust...in the city, it all depends which cop you get, there are a lot of great cops out there as well...I really really appreciate the NYPD...you just gotta get the right pair of cops

Dave82

08-08-2006 09:12:25

[quote50ba0af31d="Tsmith10803"]and the cops were really helpfull[/quote50ba0af31d]

Are you male or female? Cops are usually more likely to be nice to a female mugging victim. My cousin Robert got mugged in DC and the cops were kinda sending the, "eh, these things happen, what were you doing here" attitude

irannaked

08-08-2006 09:42:15

[quote612bcf4129="Tsmith10803"]I live in westchester New York, right outside the city, and if any of you know it...it's not a bad area....to say the least )
[/quote612bcf4129]

What town in westchester? I live in rockland county, west of the hudson.

Tsmith10803

08-08-2006 09:51:21

I'm a dude, and the cops were really nice, especially considering the circumstances (my friends were looking for a fake id) ....

and I live in Pelham, right over the bronx border and right next to new rochelle and mount vernon

Kidd

08-08-2006 10:56:20

yonkers here holding it down )

fashionjunkee

08-08-2006 12:39:33

First off, Im black, Im gay and I live in LA. The cops here are true assholes. I've gotten pulled over twice for NOTHING at all. Once I was in the car with 3 of my friends, (all gay) who were visiting from Houston and the cops made us get out of the car in this dark alley off the main street and forced us to get out. They totally harassed us and when we questioned what we did wrong they started being more rude.
I've learned to kiss their ass here in LA.

kposse77

08-08-2006 12:47:20

So anyway, after a couple of days, here's what's going on

- The only things missing from the car were two bags of books we were going to donate to the library. Something important I learned from the cops for all those who didn't already know, NEVER leave your registration or insurance card in the car. I'm assuming the reason is that you have personal information on those items, but whenever I get pulled over, that's what they're always asking for, so I assumed it was standard operating procedure to leave them in there. Luckily, those were found on the floor in the front of the car.

- My wife is still more annoyed/scared of the cops than the fact that someone stole our car. She's worried that now that they have our names, when we call again, for any reason, our motives will be suspect. She's kind of goody-goody like that.

Other than that, the club goes on whenever I'm out of the car )

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words and I don't want to leave anyone with the impression that I think all cops are bastards. I can't even really fault the guys we had to deal with too much. I'm sure they're dealing with a lot of other shit and this was more of an annoyance then anything else.

btw, I grew up in Dobbs Ferry so I hear you about the cops having nothing better to do than bust up parties. We had many a keg party in the woods interrupted by the cops. lol

darkscout

08-08-2006 14:27:01

[quoted47dafc717="fashionjunkee"]First off, Im black, Im gay and I live in LA. The cops here are true assholes. I've gotten pulled over twice for NOTHING at all.[/quoted47dafc717]

Now that's not true at all. You had a clear case of DWB. That's not nothing. Happens a lot in indiana

Tsmith10803

08-08-2006 15:01:55

[quote0f9e360e6e="kposse77"]
btw, I grew up in Dobbs Ferry so I hear you about the cops having nothing better to do than bust up parties. We had many a keg party in the woods interrupted by the cops. lol[/quote0f9e360e6e]

I'll drink to that! lol