Anyone have CenturyTel? Have Xbox Live Have a WRT54G linksys

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44157

BD2006BD

05-08-2006 21:10:37

Does anyone have xbox live working with a WRT54G v5 router or with the ISP CenturyTel? Or both? I can't get it to work. I had charter at my old house and it worked..now it won't. It says MTU failed. I have messed with my routers settings and changed my MTU higher and lower...nothing works. Also it doesn't work when plugged straight into my modem.. It only worked like one time. Anyone know what to do?

AstonisheD

05-08-2006 21:16:56

i dont know about your ISP, but you probably know how to connect your isp w/ your router.. all i did was connect an ethernet cord from the xbox to one of the ports in the back of the router ]

h3x

05-08-2006 22:14:14

[quotea36005344d="BD2006BD"]Does anyone have xbox live working with a WRT54G v5 router or with the ISP CenturyTel? Or both? I can't get it to work. I had charter at my old house and it worked..now it won't. It says MTU failed. I have messed with my routers settings and changed my MTU higher and lower...nothing works. Also it doesn't work when plugged straight into my modem.. It only worked like one time. Anyone know what to do?[/quotea36005344d]

I had a WRT54G v6 router and the thing was a piece of shit.. horrible signal strength and the connection constantly dropped due to poor signal strength, this was after being swapped for a new one twice for the same issues.

I bought a WRT54GL thats on the way.. I plan on using SveaSoft's Talisman firmware to increase signal and power strength by 900% by jolting it to 251 mW.

Admin

06-08-2006 09:05:44

[quote8ae6686585="h3x"][quote8ae6686585="BD2006BD"]Does anyone have xbox live working with a WRT54G v5 router or with the ISP CenturyTel? Or both? I can't get it to work. I had charter at my old house and it worked..now it won't. It says MTU failed. I have messed with my routers settings and changed my MTU higher and lower...nothing works. Also it doesn't work when plugged straight into my modem.. It only worked like one time. Anyone know what to do?[/quote8ae6686585]

I had a WRT54G v6 router and the thing was a piece of shit.. horrible signal strength and the connection constantly dropped due to poor signal strength, this was after being swapped for a new one twice for the same issues.

I bought a WRT54GL thats on the way.. I plan on using SveaSoft's Talisman firmware to increase signal and power strength by 900% by jolting it to 251 mW.[/quote8ae6686585]

since wireless communication is bidirectional boosting it that much does nothing good for you. if you have a wifi card that can actually match the 250mW it MIGHT help... but when you crank it past the default setting you start introducing errors into the wireless packets because its basically on overdrive.

the high powered modes of sveasoft's firmware are meant for linking two or more routers together over a distance where you are not expecting a lot of speed or reliability but just want a link.

h3x

06-08-2006 09:12:30

[quote9e5a417412="Admin"][quote9e5a417412="h3x"][quote9e5a417412="BD2006BD"]Does anyone have xbox live working with a WRT54G v5 router or with the ISP CenturyTel? Or both? I can't get it to work. I had charter at my old house and it worked..now it won't. It says MTU failed. I have messed with my routers settings and changed my MTU higher and lower...nothing works. Also it doesn't work when plugged straight into my modem.. It only worked like one time. Anyone know what to do?[/quote9e5a417412]

I bought a WRT54GL thats on the way.. I plan on using SveaSoft's Talisman firmware to increase signal and power strength by 900% by jolting it to 251 mW.[/quote9e5a417412]

since wireless communication is bidirectional boosting it that much does nothing good for you. if you have a wifi card that can actually match the 250mW it MIGHT help... but when you crank it past the default setting you start introducing errors into the wireless packets because its basically on overdrive.

the high powered modes of sveasoft's firmware are meant for linking two or more routers together over a distance where you are not expecting a lot of speed or reliability but just want a link.[/quote9e5a417412]

Oh well... It has a ton of other features that are worth the effort of changing the firmware alone. shrug

Admin

06-08-2006 14:29:30

i definitely agree and have been using it for almost two years. but the boosting is a pet peeve of mine since people think it will magically solve connectivity issues (as if linksys would not implement something so ridiculously simple if it made such a huge difference)