How to install side view mirror

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43908

freedesktoppc

01-08-2006 13:43:28

I don't know if it is similar on all cars, but if it isn't then I guess I'll have to pay to get this done. So I accidentally broke off my side view mirror, I go to a mechanic, and he wants to charge me $200 for a new one + labor, (this is a manual remote mirror, not electric or anything). So I went online and bought the same thing for $25. The mechanic offered to install it for me, and he said maybe he would start ordering from the website I did. Well, it has taken close to two weeks since I ordered, and it finally came today. I don't really have the pride to go back to my mechanic 2 weeks later to have him put it on, so I am looking to do it myself. It does not look that complicated, but I just wanted to know if anyone here was confident that they know how it works.

It is a '91 corolla, and basically there is a mirror, a plastic thing which the screw goes thru, and the actual screw, and "manual remote". It seemed that on my now RIP mirror, the plastic thing might have been glued to the car or something like that, but I am not positive. Basically, my question is, do I just screw it in, or does anything need to be glued?

I know I am being very vague, b/c I can't think of a good way to describe the plastic thing, but do not think I am thinking of the thing that the mirror is inside of, what I am talking about kind of looks like the things in between the door and an actual refrigerator.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BD2006BD

01-08-2006 13:48:58

I don't know anything about cars but I broke my mirror and I installed it myself. I just unscrewed the door panel and there were a few bolts holding the mirror in and I just undid them and replaced it.

Blink182=Gone

02-08-2006 11:30:46

[quote8598fc0d16="BD2006BD"]I don't know anything about cars but I broke my mirror and I installed it myself. I just unscrewed the door panel and there were a few bolts holding the mirror in and I just undid them and replaced it.[/quote8598fc0d16]

most cars should be like that.

ragefu

02-08-2006 11:42:38

You're lucky, a horse trailer ran into mine on a bridge and I had to pay $425 w/ installation because the defrosters are expensive

doylnea

02-08-2006 12:01:32

Not knowing that model, but having replaced mirrors on other early 90's Toyota's....

There is likely a triangular piece of plastic on the inside of the car (where the mirror is attached). You can pry that off, and there should be 3 screws holding the mirror to the doorframe. There may also be a screw holding the adjustment arm that needs to be removed. The old mirror body needs to be loosened/broken free from the doorframe (it'll be stuck there because it's been on there for 15 years). After you remove the old one, installation is the reverse process.