Looking for High Quality Earphones

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43906

J4320

01-08-2006 13:17:00

The price doesn't really matter because I'll be doing a site for one. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking at the Shure e2c, e3c, and e4c models but I keep hearing complaints about the bass in them.

I don't want big headphones, just small earphones that are preferably noise cancelling/sound isolating.

So, any recommendations?

Admin

01-08-2006 13:35:29

i loves my etymotic er4is

VrExe

01-08-2006 13:37:57

those are nice because they block outside noise but aren't they really expensive?

I went ahead and bought skullcandy. These are new earphones and very nice as well as comfortable in ur ear. They stay in there. Although they don't completely block outside noise, it does somewhat the job. (They weren't built to block outside noise by the way)

J4320

01-08-2006 14:49:10

This review on Amazon of the e4c's is pretty harsh ---

[quote88a29b9319]I bought these headphones to use with my ipod after reading all the positive reviews for them and after I broke the stock headphones that come with the ipod. I've really tried to give them a chance but I just can't recommend them. I'm no musician or headphone enthusiast but I have been using the E4c's for about six months but I've had about all I've can stand. It's true that they have their strengths. They definitely are sound isolating. You can use them on a plane perfectly fine and any other time you would want to block out noise. They also have there moments where ur listening to a song and the sound quality just jumps out at you, but I never really experienced that moment where the supposed "smooth, brilliant highs and extended bass" that the headphones are suppose to produce made me go "wow, this is better then anything I've ever heard", and honestly the small improvement in sound quality and the noise cancelling feature can't make up for the earphones flaws.
First off, I can almost guarantee, as many other reviewers have noted, that you are going to have trouble getting these earphones in at first. Just that tells you that there will probably be problems. The problem is the only reason these earphones are noise cancelling is because they're jammed up ur ear halfway to ur brain. Because off this I found myself having to adjust them in my ear a lot because no matter what u do eventually they're going to shift on u and get uncomfortable. I just sit and read with them in and still find myself having to adjust them way to much. Reviewers have said that u will "eventually get used" these earphones, but six months and a couple hundred dollars later my ears are still more used to listening devices that stay out of my ear canal.
The other knock that I have on these is the same thing many other reviewers have brought up, the bass on these is almost nonexistent. You make ur excuses because u paid so much for them but there is no denying the fact. The stock headphones that come with the ipod will let u rock out way harder then these things.
Finally, and this my be a isolated incident but just a month or two after I purchased them the gray rubber piece below my right earphone just ripped away. It pissed me off pretty bad and shure never responded to any off my emails when I asked them if repairing that piece would be covered by there warrenty.
So to sum it all up, I wouldn't recommend these earphones and if I could go back I never would have bought them. I've given them a fair chance and I almost can't even make myself use them any more. Every time I think about using them I think about how long it is going to take to make them feel comfortable and I don't even want to deal with it. If u want noise cancelling earphones, I guess these and the rest of Shure's line are about ur only choice, but there are plenty of other noise cancelling HEADphones out there and I would really recommend u consider those first. As for me, I'm off to ebay to by myself some new ipod stock earphones, and I'll probably get them for under ten bucks.[/quote88a29b9319]

It's probably really exaggerated but I think I'll look into the Etymotic er4's.

Admin

01-08-2006 15:03:55

er, i meant to say i have er6i's.

ears differ wildly in shape and size from person to person. if you are going to spring for quality isolating earbuds, you should be prepared to buy a multipack of fitting sleeves/pads to find the size(s) that work well for you. my er6is (and even my bottom of the barrel e2cs) have clean and solid bass as long as they are inserted properly.

the reviewer speaks the truth -- you will struggle getting these to fit and sound good for a while. if you stick with it, the payoff is well worth it. my er6is give me a wonderful little world of sound cut off from reality. they are extremely light, portable, comfortable, and i get to know that while idiots are "rocking out" with their full-volume ipod "earbuds" i'll still have my hearing in 30 years.

J4320

01-08-2006 17:21:09

[quoteb22b371fa2="Admin"]er, i meant to say i have er6i's.

ears differ wildly in shape and size from person to person. if you are going to spring for quality isolating earbuds, you should be prepared to buy a multipack of fitting sleeves/pads to find the size(s) that work well for you. my er6is (and even my bottom of the barrel e2cs) have clean and solid bass as long as they are inserted properly.

the reviewer speaks the truth -- you will struggle getting these to fit and sound good for a while. if you stick with it, the payoff is well worth it. my er6is give me a wonderful little world of sound cut off from reality. they are extremely light, portable, comfortable, [bb22b371fa2]and i get to know that while idiots are "rocking out" with their full-volume iPod "earbuds" i'll still have my hearing in 30 years.[/bb22b371fa2][/quoteb22b371fa2]

Yeah see that's one of the reasons as to why I want noise isolation earphones. You don't have to have the volume on as high to hear the music which is great for your ears. Oh and it doesn't just spray music everywhere like crazy like the iPod headphones. I'd rather have a concentrated stream of music.

liEDITli

Well I ended up buying the Shure e2c earphones. Amazon had a deal going where you order Shure e2c or e3c headphones and you get a 512 MB MP3 player free with it so I got this thing ---

http//www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BONJXU/ref=amb_link_3185842_1/002-0681744-4544042?n=172282

Along with the Shure. I'll just ebay it. D

Wolfeman

01-08-2006 17:24:07

My Shure E3c's are fucking amazing dance

KnightTrader

01-08-2006 17:37:54

Wow the Shure E5c is 500$ >.> lol, But Im looking into the Shure E2c myself now, It does come with a free 512mb player D maybe ill custom order it

J4320

01-08-2006 17:41:56

Yeah I wanted to custom order it from getrewardz.com but I decided to just buy it and go for the $60 paypal for 1 ref. If you wish to do the same PM me and I'll give you my link and we can work out a trade. )

When I sell the MP3 player that is worth $50(sells for about $35 on ebay) and when I finish getrewardz for $60 I'll break more than even. D

Labtec-Jay

01-08-2006 17:45:41

Skullcandys are the best. And can be found for SUPER cheap.

They are made for snowboarding as well.

J4320

01-08-2006 17:48:39

[quoteedf42dfad2="Labtec-Jay"]Skullcandys are the best. And can be found for SUPER cheap.

They are made for snowboarding as well.[/quoteedf42dfad2]

Nah trust me, the sound isolation earphones are where it's at. Skullcandy earphones are also not very high in quality. You get what you pay for in this case.

KnightTrader

01-08-2006 17:52:14

Im going to use the 512mb player probably because Its that or my PSP For music I think the mp3 player will do better, The Psp is really big D for transporting. The sandisk player has good sound quality? Im a noob to Mp3 players <

Wolfeman

01-08-2006 17:54:54

I need a good pair of "earmuff" headphones (don't know what they are really called) to go along with my E3c. Any suggestions?

J4320

01-08-2006 17:58:13

[quote84ae4f4682="KnightTrader"]Im going to use the 512mb player probably because Its that or my PSP For music I think the mp3 player will do better, The Psp is really big D for transporting. The sandisk player has good sound quality? Im a noob to Mp3 players <[/quote84ae4f4682]

Yeah it'll play MP3's fine. It has EQ types that you can set on it too. You shouldn't notice anything bad in quality(especially with the Shure headphones ;) ).

geej86

01-08-2006 18:01:58

i got the e3c's and they are very good. after one yr of use they are almost done though. the plastic side of one of the earbuds fell out ( can fix with glue i think) and both of the wire casing near the earbuds (on both sides) split (i fixed with elec. tape) Overall good buy. My next pair will be the model one up.

Tholek

01-08-2006 18:29:37

[quote35fe61ecc4="J4320"][quote35fe61ecc4="Admin"]er, i meant to say i have er6i's.

the reviewer speaks the truth -- you will struggle getting these to fit and sound good for a while. if you stick with it, the payoff is well worth it. my er6is give me a wonderful little world of sound cut off from reality. they are extremely light, portable, comfortable, [b35fe61ecc4]and i get to know that while idiots are "rocking out" with their full-volume iPod "earbuds" i'll still have my hearing in 30 years.[/b35fe61ecc4][/quote35fe61ecc4]

Yeah see that's one of the reasons as to why I want noise isolation earphones. You don't have to have the volume on as high to hear the music which is great for your ears. Oh and it doesn't just spray music everywhere like crazy like the iPod headphones. I'd rather have a concentrated stream of music.[/quote35fe61ecc4]

Living in a city, and taking public transportation, I've always worried about having [i35fe61ecc4]total[/i35fe61ecc4] isloation. I listen to music or radio on the trip, and appreciate the ambient noise in the backround to alert me to my surroundings. The problem, as Admin points out, whether or not the volume is too much. Aside from cost, this has always made me hesitate about buying canalphones.

KnightTrader

01-08-2006 20:15:53

Can't get the shure headphones and mp3 thing to work. It says FREEPLAYSHUR is invalid... I added both to cart then tried entering in promo code...

J4320

01-08-2006 21:36:53

[quotec6773df7ba="KnightTrader"]Can't get the shure headphones and mp3 thing to work. It says FREEPLAYSHUR is invalid... I added both to cart then tried entering in promo code...[/quotec6773df7ba]

It's only valid if the item comes directly from Amazon. I guess it's now being sold from "Ace Digital Club" on there.

You can buy my MP3. How much do you want to offer?

KnightTrader

02-08-2006 13:44:38

Yo Yea I want your mp3 player D its 46$ new, Can you do 25$ shipped? D Would be much obliged.

J4320

07-08-2006 21:01:06

Got the headphones and they are AWESOME. They are like suction cups when you put them in. The complaints about the bass are stupid. They must have not been all the way sealed in to the ear.

It's fun to re-listen to my songs and see what it really sounds like. ;)

There were a lot of things in my songs that I've never heard before.

FecalEagle

07-08-2006 21:56:54

yea the shure e2c is the bomb. Give teh foam inserts a try, they own the suction cup things

J4320

07-08-2006 22:08:34

Alright I will. I really like the ones that came already put on. They fit perfectly on me. I'll try it out though.

KnightTrader

08-08-2006 08:42:45

Ive had some trouble keeping them in my ear, So it takes a lot of fidgeting for me to get them in properly, But they sound nice D