Ebay: (0) feedback bidders.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43881

VrExe

01-08-2006 06:50:53

Okay so I posted an item yesterday and already got 2 bids and have gone up to $152.

The highest bidder has no feedback and is an Aussie.

Are there any particular stuff I should be watching out for from the ebay buyers? (other than nigerian scammers).

ltsmash2

01-08-2006 07:24:34

Don't forget that you have to start somewhere on Ebay. You would have had 0 feedback once. Just because someone is a 0 doesn't mean they are automatically a scammer.

Kayanite

01-08-2006 07:30:10

And they're paying first, so why worry that much..?

dmorris68

01-08-2006 07:48:22

I'm sensitive to the 0 feedback eBayers just starting out, just like I'm sensitive to the 0TR traders here. Everybody starts somewhere. However when scams proliferate through idiots who get negative feedback, then come back with a new account and appear "clean" again at 0, you get tired of getting ripped off.

I accept 0 feedback bidders in my auctions, but I have a notice in there that says they must contact me first to approve their bid, and that I reserve the right to remove any bids by those I do not approve. It's a small thing, but hopefully just enough to deter any with malicious intentions. So far I've not been burned, either because of that or because I've been lucky. I've heard some horror stories though, and not all were intentionally malicious -- I've had some friends who went through hell with eBay newbies who were barely computer literate, had NEVER bought anything online, let alone on eBay, and had no idea what they were doing or what to expect. I'd rather avoid that sort of hassle, so making them jump through a hoop or two kinda helps weed those out.

VrExe

01-08-2006 08:11:32

What i'm really worried about is that I heard some people use fradulent creditcard and eventually the fund is taken away by paypal because it was from a fraudulent creditcard. I would lose my item as well as the money.

I know I started at 0 as well but I'm just asking for tips from the experienced ebay-users what to "watch out" for.

Chris

01-08-2006 08:34:29

Send him a msg.

hehehhehe

01-08-2006 10:01:00

Don't forget, Paypal does not protect you when shipping abroad. That's how you get ripped off. You get paid, send item, buyer does chargeback, and you're not protected.

On ebay, given all the scammers, I only sell to US buyers, and I also state that 0 fdbk bidders need to contact me first.

VrExe

01-08-2006 10:23:36

I have a dillema, the guy offered $200. Should I be worried that his paypal is not verified?

dmorris68

01-08-2006 10:32:06

If you're this worried about it, I say don't do it. Only accept US bidders, and require 0 feedback bidders to contact you first.

The guy could very well be legit, but the risk is definitely there, and you sound like you aren't willing to take that risk. So don't do it.

tylerc

01-08-2006 10:34:15

One of the best things to do to protect you the seller is GET A TRACKING NUMBER and KEEP IT. If they do a chargeback you are more likely to get that reversed.

hehehhehe

01-08-2006 10:38:49

Also, consider whether or not he's offering more than others are paying for the particular item on ebay. Remember, you aren't protected at all by Paypal since he's abroad.

dmorris68

01-08-2006 10:43:19

All the warning signs are there

li Overseas
li 0 feedback
li Offering more than going price (?)

(I"m assuming on the 3rd one since you mentioned what he was offering)

Run. Run away.

tylerc

01-08-2006 10:49:32

Has he said something about his/her son/daughter working in Africa and wanting to use Western Union? lol

VrExe

01-08-2006 10:51:23

Not sure i asked if he will use paypal, he responded saying he is not verified because all his stuff is in US and he is in Guam in army(?) right now. S

tylerc

01-08-2006 10:52:02

What are you selling? PSPs and iPods tend to attract more of this stuff.

hehehhehe

01-08-2006 11:02:09

Just tell him he needs to set up a confirmed US address and you will have to send it there. Otherwise, he needs to have someone from the US send you a money order.

ltsmash2

01-08-2006 11:15:27

[quotede78f85a1a="VrExe"]Not sure i asked if he will use paypal, he responded saying he is not verified because all his stuff is in US and he is in Guam in army(?) right now. S[/quotede78f85a1a]

If he is in the Army, ask for his unit address.

dmorris68

01-08-2006 13:06:53

In that case, he should have an APO address that includes his unit. If he can provide that address with name and rank, then I'd be more inclined to trust him. Within limits, you can ship USPS to APO/FPO addresses just like to a stateside PO box. UPS/FedEx is a different story, though.

Being a veteran myself, I can reasonably assure you that his CO/1SGT will not abide by him ripping you off. They will be far worse for him to deal with than PayPal or eBay would be. )

If you decide to go through with it, document everything so that you can report him to his unit if necessary, and make sure he understands that you know this. Say it in kind of a joking way, like "alright, but no scamming me, or I'll have to report you to your CO/1SGT... LOL". That will get his attention in a non-threatening way while letting him know that you know what to do if he has any ideas about scamming you.

Service members, especially those in the more disciplined combat arms branches like Army and Marines, are some of the safest folks to deal with for this reason. They are expected to practice discipline and represent the service with honor even in private matters. As they always told us, "you're a soldier 24/7, act like it."

VrExe

01-08-2006 13:35:35

I decided to trust him. I mean like dmorris68 said, he is a vetran and probably have honor in his rank or name.

I decided not to ask him for all the info because I didn't want to offend him. We talked through email and such and he sounded like a nice guy. He paid right away and I received the money.

I think everything went right and hopefully it will remain that way.

The lesson I learnt here is that while a little number of people suck dick, alot of people are actually very nice and honest. It was one of the most pleasurable buisness I've done.

PS Paypal fee hurts like magma on steroids. $7 fee!

jordan90

01-08-2006 23:22:55

After dealing with many 0 feedback bidders from other countries now I just don't mess with them. I ship only to the U.S. and if the bidder has under 3 feedback they must contact me before action end if they have a high bid.

I understand that we all started with 0 feedback on eBay.. my first purchase was a $4000 DR-Z400s, but I contacted the buyer and told him I had experience with eBay even though I had 0 feedback. Now I have 160+ 100% possitive feedback.