"this copy of windows is not genuine"

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43827

toiletpaper55

31-07-2006 09:20:35

so...whats that mean/will it affect anything?

KnightTrader

31-07-2006 09:22:45

When you pirate things, pirate them well, Don't know if it'll do nething, But i reccomend "obtaining" a copy of Windows Xp Corporate edition, as it does not require validation D.

mrwzk

31-07-2006 09:23:10

means microsoft knows u dont have a real copy, it means nothing besides that, they just want to let you know that they know you dont have a real copy. some features might not work depending on how good of a copy you have

Tholek

31-07-2006 09:23:19

LOL.

Probably that you won't be able to use Windows/Office/Microsoft Update.

You can grab a reg crack and use a new key though.

EDIT Everyone beats me to the punch....

theman2005

31-07-2006 09:44:01

[quotedf12171ba6="Tholek"]LOL.

Probably that you won't be able to use Windows/Office/Microsoft Update.

You can grab a reg crack and use a new key though.

EDIT Everyone beats me to the punch....[/quotedf12171ba6]

That won't work now since they incorporated a "stronger" protection called WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage). It's so strong, people have released modified versions (that makes it believe you have a real copy) of this WGA program that must be installed on your system wink .

If you need it for "educational purposes", PM me, or just google it, it is EVERYWHERE and only a few megabytes in size 8)

Tholek

31-07-2006 09:51:06

[quoteeebed6b82c="theman2005"]That won't work now since they incorporated a "stronger" protection called WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage). It's so strong, people have released modified versions (that makes it believe you have a real copy) of this WGA program that must be installed on your system wink [/quoteeebed6b82c]

Yes, while I generalized in my post, I [ieebed6b82c]was[/ieebed6b82c] referring to that as well. ;)

Still get MS Update asking to reinstall it on occassion though. (Always say no)

dmorris68

31-07-2006 09:54:10

[quote3483ee9b35="KnightTrader"]When you pirate things, pirate them well, Don't know if it'll do nething, But i reccomend "obtaining" a copy of Windows Xp Corporate edition, as it does not require validation D.[/quote3483ee9b35]
Corporate keys are still validated by WGA. Microsoft knows which VLK's they've assigned and if you generate one that they haven't issued, you'll get the same error.

manOFice

31-07-2006 10:12:49

YOU BETTER RUN NOW AND DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER, M$ IS COMING FOR YOU!!

jadem

31-07-2006 11:21:59

I know it's too late for this, but never install any updates that aren't for security patching.

I know my copy is legit (paid $10 at the University copy center).

theysayjump

31-07-2006 12:10:34

I get the same thing on my legit copy.

I tell it to validate it, it goes online, validates it, says I'm using genuine Microsoft products or something and goes away.

Next reboot the little bastard is back again. roll

KnightTrader

31-07-2006 12:22:13

Well, Dmorris, Heres the BEST work around how to get your Windows validated. Works EVERY TIME.
1. Call microsoft at the number where you "activate"
2. Tell them you reformated your dell computer, And tell them it gives you an error when validating.
3. Customer support will ask for the number on the screen [the one it tells you to read off to the support people] THEY WILL NOT even ASK YOU for the CD key you entered during installation
4. they give you a number to put in, Wallah, GG. You just activated it. Its like no questions asked, Atleast for me, Happened on 3 different occasions. Very easy.

ffactoryxx

31-07-2006 12:32:57

http//home19.inet.tele.dk/jys05000/

dmorris68

31-07-2006 13:07:33

[quote0704069e8d="KnightTrader"]Well, Dmorris, Heres the BEST work around how to get your Windows validated. Works EVERY TIME.
1. Call microsoft at the number where you "activate"
2. Tell them you reformated your dell computer, And tell them it gives you an error when validating.
3. Customer support will ask for the number on the screen [the one it tells you to read off to the support people] THEY WILL NOT even ASK YOU for the CD key you entered during installation
4. they give you a number to put in, Wallah, GG. You just activated it. Its like no questions asked, Atleast for me, Happened on 3 different occasions. Very easy.[/quote0704069e8d]
I know there are workarounds to the WGA validation, my point was only that corporate versions validate same as retail & OEM versions. I gathered from your post that you were implying that corporate versions didn't require validation. They don't require WPA (activation), but they still do WGA validation checks unless you jump through those hoops.

None of which matters to me, all of my XP installations are legit. As all of yours should be. P

KnightTrader

31-07-2006 13:09:33

Mine is actually legit to, Did the above for a friend, Two of my other comps use Corporate edition, I was never asked for a cd key... But Then again I never used the windows update feature so Don't know if it passes the WGA, As I never had problems with security, and consider myself an advanced user, so I don't bother going through windows update.

xigxag

31-07-2006 13:17:01

[quote3243f57164="KnightTrader"]Mine is actually legit to, Did the above for a friend, Two of my other comps use Corporate edition, I was never asked for a cd key... But Then again I never used the windows update feature so Don't know if it passes the WGA, As I never had problems with security, and consider myself an advanced user, so I don't bother going through windows update.[/quote3243f57164]

I hope you are not saying that you don't install security updates for windows because you consider yourself an advanced user...

dmorris68

31-07-2006 13:27:49

[quote97c72daae7="xigxag"][quote97c72daae7="KnightTrader"]Mine is actually legit to, Did the above for a friend, Two of my other comps use Corporate edition, I was never asked for a cd key... But Then again I never used the windows update feature so Don't know if it passes the WGA, As I never had problems with security, and consider myself an advanced user, so I don't bother going through windows update.[/quote97c72daae7]

I hope you are not saying that you don't install security updates for windows because you consider yourself an advanced user...[/quote97c72daae7]
Same here.

I'm a (very) advanced user, and I jump at every Windows update that gets released. Seen/fixed too many PC's that were hit or otherwise compromised not to.

KnightTrader

31-07-2006 13:33:23

Bah, I fix a lot of computers myself. The #1 Problem is spyware. So many people I know are computer illiterate, and their computer is so bogged with spyware, They can't even boot up, and it locks up at desktop. And they think its a virus and buy tons of anti virus programs, which bog it down even more. And yes, I don't install security updates for windows because I consider myself an advanced user. I have never had a security issue. I Check my running procceses often when I end some, And if i notice anything unusual, which I never do, I would delete it right away. I find the windows update utitlity annoying ;/.

dmorris68

31-07-2006 13:42:34

Oooookay then.

JOSHBOX

31-07-2006 14:10:44

Wait wait wait..... your and advanced user so you [b16c4631ec7]DONT[/b16c4631ec7] do Windows updates? woooooowwwwwww.....

Also if your as advanced as you say you are you would know that WGA will recognize even a corprate key. The WGA alert can be disabled by right clicking the system tray icon and selecting settings. Then checking the box to disable WGA alerts.

KnightTrader

31-07-2006 14:15:48

Windows update is over rated..... Never had an issue in years. Why start dealing with the updates now? Too lazy to reboot / install them. If I ever happen to get a virus through a oh noes "vulnrability" I can easily troubleshoot it myself.

leem

31-07-2006 14:18:42

http//www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

Remove WGA works. Just read the page to make sure you don't mess up your system.
Also, you can decline to download WGA. You'd have to set up your updates to where they do not automatically install.

dmorris68

31-07-2006 14:21:56

BTW even with a WGA "violation," you can still download critical security updates. It just won't let you download anything else, including utilities and stuff from Microsoft Downloads.

They allowed critical updates because otherwise you'd have 60 million pirated versions out there in the wild, unpatched and proliferating trojans and virii to the rest of us.

Vector

31-07-2006 14:23:44

Sometimes it says

"you are a victim of software piracy"

Like it is not your fault or you dont know, lol. That is when your key is similar to thousands of other keys.

dmorris68

31-07-2006 14:27:51

[quote96a95331d7="Vector"]Sometimes it says

"you are a victim of software piracy"

Like it is not your fault or you dont know, lol. That is when your key is similar to thousands of other keys.[/quote96a95331d7]
In fact, there are a lot of innocent victims of this, so I guess Microsoft plays it legal and politically correct to say it that way instead of accusing you. )

Many disreputable computer vendors buy a few license of XP OEM or Corporate (or counterfeit copies in the black market), then installs those on a thousand PC's that they sell to unsuspecting users. In that case, you really are the victim. Supposedly this accounts for a large percentage of Windows piracy, primarily from overseas vendors.

ilanbg

31-07-2006 15:33:18

Call tech support.

topbillin1

31-07-2006 15:54:10

Google wga_kill

Tholek

31-07-2006 18:59:46

[quotea6ae89ce72="dmorris68"]They allowed critical updates because otherwise you'd have 60 million pirated versions out there in the wild, unpatched and proliferating trojans and virii to the rest of us.[/quotea6ae89ce72]

That must hurt for them, considering their anti-piracy tactics. ;)

toiletpaper55

31-07-2006 19:55:07

whoops, i guess i shouldnt have gotten the update...lol, did it to get rid of the bubble in the 1st place

TFOAF

31-07-2006 20:13:36

I'd be able to tell you how to get rid of it, whether it's a legitimate copy or a pirated copy...but I don't want to discuss any illegal matters here. ;)