Anyone here paint their apartment?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43748

UniPrize Media

29-07-2006 18:59:44

I have just moved in to a new apartment and my girl wants to paint it badly. The thing is I never painted before and neither has she. Can we do it ourselves or should we hire some one?

One other thing is that we don't know what color to paint. If any one here would like to share their paint jobs, please do. By the way, is there like a web site or a forum where people share painting tips and their paint work? I haven't found one so far. May be I can create one )

Psyc

29-07-2006 19:06:41

It's simple. Pick a color from the palette at lowes or something. Ask somebody to mix it for you. Buy a couple of packs of rollers a couple of trays and then go home and paint. You can also pick up a few cheap brushes and those extension poles for the rollers. Some plastic tarps or old newspapers too so you won't get paint on the floor.

If there's trim, just mask off the edges so you won't paint over it. You can paint it another color if you want.

I painted my room with "Japanese Koi" orange over spring break. Really made a great difference after several years of light blue.

If you want to get artistic with patterns or whatever, I'd suggest googling around some. )

aichdee

29-07-2006 19:06:53

I have helped a few people paint their apartments.. You definately will save yourself some money if you do it yourself, but if your completely new to painting then you might make some mistakes.

You would need to get a few rollers and some brushes. Also you would need to get some tape for painting (Its like a blue masking tape) One of the main things i do when i paint is take my time and tape off the rooms as good as possible, that way you don't get paint on things you didn't want to.

I'm not quite sure about any forums about painting as i have never seen one.

Psyc

29-07-2006 19:08:56

Heh, go figure. First entry for "home painting forums"
http//www.painterforum.com/

egyptianruin

29-07-2006 19:25:42

Painting is really easy, however if your walls are stained with smoke etc I recommend getting a stain blocking primer if you are going to paint it a light color like cream or white. If you have mold or anything use Killz, but DO NOT use oil based it takes forever to dry and it stinks like hell. Always use latex paints IMO.

Trimming is really easy, my husband is a teacher and in the summer paints houses for extra cash. To trim windows, door frames, floors like someone else said use blue masking tape. Tape the part you DON'T want to paint and let it dry before pulling them off.

Make sure to use drop clothes for drips! Don't get the plastic ones, they are horrendous, get the canvas drop clothes. Open windows for ventilation and invest in some rollers and rolling pans.

Painting is relatively simple, but usually most people need at LEAST two coats. Just talk to someone at Home Depot and Lowes for tips and they have stuff to read up on paint colors and what kind of mood you want for the room.

http//www.paintquality.com/diy/

Gooogler

29-07-2006 19:35:44

Paint it yourself, it will be fun, save money, and as long as you cover all your floors etc... then you can always redo it.

Tholek

29-07-2006 19:38:58

If it's an apartment, can't you get the landlord to do it?

justinag06

29-07-2006 19:40:57

make sure and buy tape to put over the edges of the lining so not to get paint on it

UniPrize Media

29-07-2006 19:46:16

[quote66d15d0533="Psyc"]Heh, go figure. First entry for "home painting forums"
http//www.painterforum.com/[/quote66d15d0533]

Awesome!

I should learn how to use google )

+karma for all

UniPrize Media

29-07-2006 19:47:39

[quote00970c4b4f="Tholek"]If it's an apartment, can't you get the landlord to do it?[/quote00970c4b4f]

Nope. Well, you would have to pay.

UniPrize Media

29-07-2006 20:33:16

[quote6bcf406e58="egyptianruin"]Painting is really easy, however if your walls are stained with smoke etc I recommend getting a stain blocking primer if you are going to paint it a light color like cream or white. If you have mold or anything use Killz, but DO NOT use oil based it takes forever to dry and it stinks like hell. Always use latex paints IMO.

Trimming is really easy, my husband is a teacher and in the summer paints houses for extra cash. To trim windows, door frames, floors like someone else said use blue masking tape. Tape the part you DON'T want to paint and let it dry before pulling them off.

Make sure to use drop clothes for drips! Don't get the plastic ones, they are horrendous, get the canvas drop clothes. Open windows for ventilation and invest in some rollers and rolling pans.

Painting is relatively simple, but usually most people need at LEAST two coats. Just talk to someone at Home Depot and Lowes for tips and they have stuff to read up on paint colors and what kind of mood you want for the room.

http//www.paintquality.com/diy/[/quote6bcf406e58]

Really nice site. Thanks a lot D

egyptianruin

29-07-2006 21:33:38

Not a problem, good luck!

Dave82

31-07-2006 08:03:12

This tip helped me out do NOT buy the cheaper paint rollers!! Pay the extra $2-$3 and get the higher quality rollers. The paint goes on much more smoother and evenly. My girlfriend and i painted her apartment two weekends ago and we had different rollers. I had the nicer one and my side looked better. I thought maybe it was just because i was a better painter, but then we switched rollers and her side looked better.

Hope this helps
(just to clarify in case i am not using the right term by roller i mean the "fuzzy" cylinder that goes over the mechanism that rolls...... so get the more expensive fuzzy thing)

kdollar

31-07-2006 08:05:23

this thread already mentioned everything you need its simple, just dont daddle around it will take forever. also the biggest mistake is drips, so lay down some old sheets, already mentioned just reassuring.

manOFice

31-07-2006 08:08:11

All my apt's i've lived in don't let you paint the place.

MyungChunHa

31-07-2006 08:15:15

You should also look into primer before you paint, you can do it without it but if you don't have it the paint will start to peel and chip after a few years or some damage...

Instead of tape for edges, I've always used a special pad made for edges...It's a retangular pad with small rolling wheels on the top that will prevent you from painting the top/edge/whatever-doesn't-need-painting while giving you a perfect strait line everytime....Some people don't like to use them but it works like a charm and in my opinon, better than tape because tape can leave uneven lines....

Also invest in a brush if you have hard-to-reach corners/edges and whatnot (by hard to reach, I mean small, ect.)....You'll almost always need a brush because the edging pad and rollers are generally too big for a lot of wall surfaces...That and you'll definitely need it if your going to do patterns...

Dave82

31-07-2006 08:33:02

[quote4aeafb480a="manofice"]All my apt's i've lived in don't let you paint the place.[/quote4aeafb480a]

This reminds me.... check with the landlord first. Certain colors are not considered acceptable and then when you leave you will have to either repaint it or get charged a rediculous fee.

Tholek

31-07-2006 08:49:43

I don't have my lease on hand, but I coulda swore there was something about landlords having to repaint every few years. I thought that was a general thing in apartment leases too.

Psyc

31-07-2006 11:11:54

[quote834f6e800a="Tholek"]I don't have my lease on hand, but I coulda swore there was something about landlords having to repaint every few years. I thought that was a general thing in apartment leases too.[/quote834f6e800a]

Yeah, but they'll probably use cheap paint to save money and you don't have the liberty to choose a color.

Tholek

31-07-2006 11:21:55

Yeah, I expected that, but maybe a few bucks (less than you painting) would get you a different color?

manOFice

31-07-2006 11:33:39

my old apt's they repainted the walls after every new tenant.

I don't smoke in my apt but man do the walls get dirttttyyy after one year, lol

jy3

31-07-2006 14:07:44

i suggest you do it yourself. it is easy. get the blue painters tape for doing edges. clear the room out, cover the rug/floor where u are painting. go to lowes and get paint. i would get CHEAP paint if u are doing an apartment that you wont be in long.

Peinecone

31-07-2006 15:46:40

Every apartment has different rules about painting. Ours we can paint anything we like, but we either have to paint it back when we move, or be charged. Just make sure you know the rules before starting.

But everybody's tips pretty much say it all. Don't skimp on the quality of rollers or brushes, or on the taping edges and trim. A pro doesn't need to tape edges, but a first timer definitally should.