Betta Fish

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43602

J4320

26-07-2006 21:44:37

These little fish are awesome. They're cheap and they are beautiful. I love this little guy. Here's some eyecandy ---

Taken on my window sill ---

http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/3414/bettafish1eg1.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

[img="7e41e14c84]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/4331/bettafish2li5.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

[img="7e41e14c84]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/619/bettafish3ho7.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

[img="7e41e14c84]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/9369/bettafish4bd6.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

[img="7e41e14c84]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/9725/bettafish6zh2.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

Here he is without being shaded ---

[img="7e41e14c84]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/1739/bettafish7xp9.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

And here's my bathroom fish ---

[img="7e41e14c84]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/4266/bettafish5yo0.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

They really make great decoration --

[img="7e41e14c84]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/1192/bettafish8pt4.jpg[" alt=""/img7e41e14c84]

He looks really awesome when his fins are completely spread out. They're so cheap and easy to feed too. Does anyone else keep any?

x323smostwantedx

26-07-2006 21:47:02

They look nice, thats a badass view

CoMpFrEaK

26-07-2006 21:51:09

Dude, i'm crashing at your house sometime

goof

26-07-2006 21:51:26

Sweet scenery from the house, also i used to have these fish and if you put a mirror up to the tank they poof up, because they think its another fish. Also, you can go to meijers, etc. and put 2 in the same tank and watch them fight.

Berky34

26-07-2006 21:56:10

ahh I love bettas. I'm thinking about getting a couple for my room.

J4320

26-07-2006 21:56:31

[quote96e03e2628="CoMpFrEaK"]Dude, i'm crashing at your house sometime[/quote96e03e2628]

You probably could too since I don't live that far away. P

You never did show me Portland. ;)

[quote96e03e2628="goof"]Sweet scenery from the house, also i used to have these fish and if you put a mirror up to the tank they poof up, because they think its another fish. Also, you can go to meijers, etc. and put 2 in the same tank and watch them fight.[/quote96e03e2628]

Yeah that's outside of my window of my room. That river there is a little channel of the Columbia. That little body of land to the far left of that pic is actually a little island, the big columbia is further left. Big boats come through it all day and it's beautiful. My parents can see Oregon across the river from their room. It really is beautiful.

As for the fish, I put the red one in with the blue one and the blue one was all nice and just minding his own business and the red one puffed up and nipped at the blue one so I took him out. They look funny when their gills puff up. lol

CoMpFrEaK

26-07-2006 21:57:50

[quote832e464583="J4320"][quote832e464583="CoMpFrEaK"]Dude, i'm crashing at your house sometime[/quote832e464583]

[quote832e464583="goof"]Sweet scenery from the house, also i used to have these fish and if you put a mirror up to the tank they poof up, because they think its another fish. Also, you can go to meijers, etc. and put 2 in the same tank and watch them fight.[/quote832e464583]

Yeah that's outside of my window of my room. That river there is the Columbia. My parents can see Oregon across the river from their room. It really is beautiful.

As for the fish, I put the red one in with the blue one and the blue one was all nice and just minding his own business and the red one puffed up and nipped at the blue one so I took him out. They look funny when their gills puff up. lol[/quote832e464583]

Well let me know when you want to, i've been really busy since i work @OHSU now.

JKirk

26-07-2006 22:00:58

That first one is an awesome picture, dude. You could put that on DeviantArt.com and get some good reviews I'm sure.

J4320

26-07-2006 22:01:16

[quote5ac5da4373="CoMpFrEaK"][quote5ac5da4373="J4320"][quote5ac5da4373="CoMpFrEaK"]Dude, i'm crashing at your house sometime[/quote5ac5da4373]

[quote5ac5da4373="goof"]Sweet scenery from the house, also i used to have these fish and if you put a mirror up to the tank they poof up, because they think its another fish. Also, you can go to meijers, etc. and put 2 in the same tank and watch them fight.[/quote5ac5da4373]

Yeah that's outside of my window of my room. That river there is the Columbia. My parents can see Oregon across the river from their room. It really is beautiful.

As for the fish, I put the red one in with the blue one and the blue one was all nice and just minding his own business and the red one puffed up and nipped at the blue one so I took him out. They look funny when their gills puff up. lol[/quote5ac5da4373]

Well let me know when you want to, i've been really busy since i work @OHSU now.[/quote5ac5da4373]

Alright, sounds cool. I haven't even driven my car once since I've been here lol. The malls in Portland are pretty nice. I've only been to like two of them. What else do you do around Portland?

CoMpFrEaK

26-07-2006 22:03:31

Pioneer Square, Bridgeport, Washington Square, Lloyd Center (i prefer the others).

Theres also the Rose Garden (Two actually, ones an arena, ones an actual garden). I guess it depends on what you want to do, i'm just too used to this place -P

Gooogler

26-07-2006 22:04:20

I think I will get a few of these.... Are they a hassle at all?

J4320

26-07-2006 22:43:26

^

Nope. They are super easy to maintain. The bowl is really easy to clean too and my fish doesn't get the bowl very dirty so I don't clean it too often.

[quote1ffb62f15d="CoMpFrEaK"]Pioneer Square, Bridgeport, Washington Square, Lloyd Center (i prefer the others).

Theres also the Rose Garden (Two actually, ones an arena, ones an actual garden). I guess it depends on what you want to do, i'm just too used to this place -P[/quote1ffb62f15d]

Yeah I've been to Washington Square and the Clackamus(sp?) mall. It really is nice down there. I like how green it is in this area.

Veek

26-07-2006 22:52:21

You can't keep two male Bettas in the same bowl or they'll fight to death, which is why they're called "fighting fish." Also, they say you can keep two female or more together, but only if they get along and only if they're totally different colors. The way you can tell you have a female betta is if you look under her stomach and she has a white noticeble dot. None of mine got along so I have 3 females in their seperate bowl and one male in his own. My male will not eat pellet food, so I give him dry worms. My females will eat pellet food, so I usually give them three and one worm as a treat.

They're supposed to be one gallon of water for each betta fish in a tank IF they do get along. If not, they'll start fighting to "mark their territory." Also, if you have a gallon water, it's recommended you clean it twice a week to remove the amonia and other crap. Make sure that you bought the drops that removes clorine and all the harmful chemicals out of tap water if that's what you're using.

Other than that, they're pretty cool and colorful fish to have. When you breed them is a different story but I'll save that for later. Oh, and I recommend getting it a bigger plastic plant so that it can "sleep" comfortably. They usually sit on the plant and float which is them sleeping. Try not to stress them out because if you do, they'll start getting sick.

Bettas usually last about one to two years and even three if really taken care of.

Oops, I typed too much.

J4320

26-07-2006 23:02:49

[quote8cd5414eb1="Veek"]You can't keep two male Bettas in the same bowl or they'll fight to death, which is why they're called "fighting fish." Also, they say you can keep two female or more together, but only if they get along and only if they're totally different colors. The way you can tell you have a female betta is if you look under her stomach and she has a white noticeble dot. None of mine got along so I have 3 females in their seperate bowl and one male in his own. My male will not eat pellet food, so I give him dry worms. My females will eat pellet food, so I usually give them three and one worm as a treat.

They're supposed to be one gallon of water for each betta fish in a tank IF they do get along. If not, they'll start fighting to "mark their territory." Also, if you have a gallon water, it's recommended you clean it twice a week to remove the amonia and other crap. Make sure that you bought the drops that removes clorine and all the harmful chemicals out of tap water if that's what you're using.

Other than that, they're pretty cool and colorful fish to have. When you breed them is a different story but I'll save that for later. Oh, and I recommend getting it a bigger plastic plant so that it can "sleep" comfortably. They usually sit on the plant and float which is them sleeping. Try not to stress them out because if you do, they'll start getting sick.

Bettas usually last about one to two years and even three if really taken care of.

Oops, I typed too much.[/quote8cd5414eb1]

I thought telling a male between a female was rather obvious when I was at the store. The small ones that don't have crazy fins are the females. I never noticed the dots though. I was thinking about getting a female one to put in with my male one but I found out that they'll fight. x

Veek

26-07-2006 23:14:13

Yeah, the ones with longer fins are the males, but sometimes a female might have long fins too, like one of mine. I have no idea why they fight when they're male and female, but I'm assuming that it's because your tank is too small and they need their space.

x323smostwantedx

26-07-2006 23:15:26

I had one when i was like 10, and it fell down the drain while I was cleaning the base thing (

JOSHBOX

26-07-2006 23:34:46

dude u badly need to clean the water, thats cloudy as hell. With bettas you can use purified water you buy in the big jugs and it will be ideal for them. Also dont keep him on that windowsil in direct sunlight or you will have a cooked fish. Very beautiful though.

J4320

26-07-2006 23:34:53

[quote3e3005a78c="Veek"]Yeah, the ones with longer fins are the males, but sometimes a female might have long fins too, like one of mine. I have no idea why they fight when they're male and female, but I'm assuming that it's because your tank is too small and they need their space.[/quote3e3005a78c]

Well actually I never tried to put a male and a female together. That's just what the Petco lady told me. She said that you can't keep a male and a female together.

[quote3e3005a78c="JOSHBOX"]dude u badly need to clean the water, thats cloudy as hell. With bettas you can use purified water you buy in the big jugs and it will be ideal for them. Also dont keep him on that windowsil in direct sunlight or you will have a cooked fish. Very beautiful though.[/quote3e3005a78c]

Well first of all, it's really not that cloudy. The picture just makes it look a lot cloudier than it really is. And I do clean the take about once a week.

And second, I don't keep him on the window sill. He sits right next to me on my desk by my keyboard as you can see in the last picture. ;)

theysayjump

27-07-2006 00:24:46

[quote3594478da8="Veek"]You can't keep two male Bettas in the same bowl or they'll fight to death, which is why they're called "fighting fish." Also, they say you can keep two female or more together, but only if they get along and only if they're totally different colors. The way you can tell you have a female betta is if you look under her stomach and she has a white noticeble dot. None of mine got along so I have 3 females in their seperate bowl and one male in his own. My male will not eat pellet food, so I give him dry worms. My females will eat pellet food, so I usually give them three and one worm as a treat.

Oops, I typed too much.[/quote3594478da8]

^^^^ Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about.

You have yourself a nice crowntail there J'.

http//tinyurl.com/kyp8v

My wife used to keep them and she had a tank with a seperator in the middle with a male on either side. One night, one of them got into the other half and they ripped the shit out of each other. They lived but had nearly no fins left.

It's also a good idea to use distilled water in your tank/bowl. Just get a huge jug, fill it to the top, and leave it sitting out for a week or so before you clean (or leave it sitting out after you clean it one week) and it'll be good to use next week when you change the water. Another thing, you're only supposed to do a partial water change, maybe leaving about 20% of the water in, then once a month or so do a complete water change.

Also, you have the same chair and keyboard/mouse as I do. Thief.

AstonisheD

27-07-2006 00:29:01

[quotee24206677f="CoMpFrEaK"]Dude, i'm crashing at your house sometime[/quotee24206677f]

LOL exactly what i thought

you have a nice place D
and your fish looks nice =]

egyptianruin

27-07-2006 06:26:17

Beautiful fish and great view! I used to have two Bettas. One was named Pompeii and the other Vesuvius, so it's no wonder they died. I loved those fish so much I spent wll over $400 on them.

J4320

27-07-2006 12:08:09

[quote31e8d9994b="theysayjump"][quote31e8d9994b="Veek"]You can't keep two male Bettas in the same bowl or they'll fight to death, which is why they're called "fighting fish." Also, they say you can keep two female or more together, but only if they get along and only if they're totally different colors. The way you can tell you have a female betta is if you look under her stomach and she has a white noticeble dot. None of mine got along so I have 3 females in their seperate bowl and one male in his own. My male will not eat pellet food, so I give him dry worms. My females will eat pellet food, so I usually give them three and one worm as a treat.

Oops, I typed too much.[/quote31e8d9994b]

^^^^ Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about.

You have yourself a nice crowntail there J'.

http//tinyurl.com/kyp8v

My wife used to keep them and she had a tank with a seperator in the middle with a male on either side. One night, one of them got into the other half and they ripped the shit out of each other. They lived but had nearly no fins left.

It's also a good idea to use distilled water in your tank/bowl. Just get a huge jug, fill it to the top, and leave it sitting out for a week or so before you clean (or leave it sitting out after you clean it one week) and it'll be good to use next week when you change the water. Another thing, you're only supposed to do a partial water change, maybe leaving about 20% of the water in, then once a month or so do a complete water change.

[b31e8d9994b]Also, you have the same chair and keyboard/mouse as I do. [/b31e8d9994b] Thief.[/quote31e8d9994b]

I had the keyboard and mouse before you. P

Anyway, as for the water I just use these drops that instantly sanitize the water for them so they should be safe.

People seem to be more interested in the scenery though heh. I looked at Compfreak's smugmug profile and he kind of inspired me to get a nice camera.

I'm gonna make a deviant art profile and put that first pic of the fish in there like Jkirk suggested.

theysayjump

27-07-2006 12:15:05

Yeah it's a cool picture, but I'd retake it and either have the bowl on the far side of the picture or directly in the centre.

johnjimjones

27-07-2006 12:15:27

Screw the fish, I'm more interested in that view from the deck.

J4320

27-07-2006 13:02:02

[quotefb47b2ed6c="theysayjump"]Yeah it's a cool picture, but I'd retake it and either have the bowl on the far side of the picture or directly in the centre.[/quotefb47b2ed6c]

Good idea. I'll try another at dusk. )

Vector

27-07-2006 13:20:32

nice fish

h3x

27-07-2006 14:25:04

I feed those things to my gardener snake all the time

tjwor

27-07-2006 15:39:34

dude, your 84 and still live with your parents?

http//www.sallad.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/oldblog/loser.jpg[" alt=""/imgd655c9ea97]

CoMpFrEaK

27-07-2006 15:57:03

[quote9c3dddab29="tjwor"]dude, your 84 and still live with your parents?

http//www.sallad.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/oldblog/loser.jpg[" alt=""/img9c3dddab29][/quote9c3dddab29]

haha, oh snap. Pwned

J4320

27-07-2006 17:03:33

(

johnjimjones

27-07-2006 18:16:09

I was wondering when that new dusk pic is coming up and then I realized your on the ....wierdcoast....? westcoast. D

JennyWren

01-08-2006 22:09:08

Yeah, I had these fish for a while as well. I had a male & female, she actually beat up on the male a lot and eventually killed him (women, sheesh). Anyhow, before that they bred which was cool. The reason that you can keep them in a bowl is because they can breathe air. When they breed, they make a "bubble nest" - kind of a frothy bubbly thing on the surface of the water. They take the eggs in their mouths and blow them into the bubble nest so that the babies are super oxygenated. Anyhow, one of the babies actually survive to adulthood, which was cool. I miss fish...

Berky34

01-08-2006 22:59:49

lol I want bettas now. Just got a job at pet supplies plus too. haha