Blog security

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43553

KeithA

26-07-2006 08:05:04

It's a sad day when my company's internal IT people tell me they have no time for a question like this. So I turn to you.

I set up a Typepad blog for my team at work. The idea is to have a centralized, accessible place for everyone to post links/ideas/book reviews/tools related to our jobs. I don’t envision the content there being too sensitive, but I realize that security is a concern.

Typepad does offer password protection, but it’s a shared password for the entire blog.

Can anyone think of anything I could do to make it more secure? I haven't told management about the idea yet, but unless I can argue convincingly that the thing is secure, my guess is that they're not going to be supportive.

doylnea

26-07-2006 08:15:06

Can you use Writely instead? Writely allows you to invite people to the pages, and only those who are invited can view or modify the pages. It's essentially a full-featured version of Word, that can be edited by anyone, at anytime, and there's even an indicator that tells you if anyone else is editing at the same time.

KeithA

26-07-2006 08:19:55

I looked at Writely briefly but wasn't sure it suited my purposes. It seems more like a collaborative tool than a basic blogging/content management system. I don't want people editing or revising my posts; I want them either commenting on my posts or authoring their own posts. And I want the whole thing to be searchable.

Aside from the security thing, Typepad does all that. But the invite-only security of Writely is definitely preferable...

Edit I also want RSS functionality. It looks like Writely offers RSS feeds for individual "documents," but not for the "blog" as a whole.

Double-edit They also aren't accepting new registrations.

Admin

26-07-2006 09:11:09

you can just password protect it with your .htaccessurl==http://=http:///url file (assuming apache). that's pretty secure.

KeithA

26-07-2006 10:08:38

^^
Does that assume that I'm hosting the blog software? Typepad is a hosted solution for Moveable Type...I don't know that they'd give me access to the .htaccessurl==http://=http:///url file.

ilanbg

26-07-2006 10:14:01

Have everyone commit a code to memory and then put all your posts in code.

doylnea

26-07-2006 11:00:19

[quote692acd8d5c="KeithA"]I looked at Writely briefly but wasn't sure it suited my purposes. It seems more like a collaborative tool than a basic blogging/content management system. I don't want people editing or revising my posts; I want them either commenting on my posts or authoring their own posts. And I want the whole thing to be searchable.

Aside from the security thing, Typepad does all that. But the invite-only security of Writely is definitely preferable...

Edit I also want RSS functionality. It looks like Writely offers RSS feeds for individual "documents," but not for the "blog" as a whole.

Double-edit They also aren't accepting new registrations.[/quote692acd8d5c]

I can invite you to a new Writely document, and then you can invite your employees/co-workers to a new document (that you create). I wouldn't have access to the new document.

KeithA

26-07-2006 11:15:32

[quote1ded89a4bd="doylnea"][quote1ded89a4bd="KeithA"]I looked at Writely briefly but wasn't sure it suited my purposes. It seems more like a collaborative tool than a basic blogging/content management system. I don't want people editing or revising my posts; I want them either commenting on my posts or authoring their own posts. And I want the whole thing to be searchable.

Double-edit They also aren't accepting new registrations.[/quote1ded89a4bd]

I can invite you to a new Writely document, and then you can invite your employees/co-workers to a new document (that you create). I wouldn't have access to the new document.[/quote1ded89a4bd]

Would you mind doing that? I'd like to check it out before conclusively deciding against it...

You've got my email...Thanks!

CollidgeGraduit

26-07-2006 11:22:36

[quoted3a3f153a6="ilanbg"]Have everyone commit a code to memory and then put all your posts in code.[/quoted3a3f153a6]

That's easily the most secure AND cost-effective way.

doylnea

26-07-2006 11:24:33

[quote0f9f9e3706="KeithA"][quote0f9f9e3706="doylnea"][quote0f9f9e3706="KeithA"]I looked at Writely briefly but wasn't sure it suited my purposes. It seems more like a collaborative tool than a basic blogging/content management system. I don't want people editing or revising my posts; I want them either commenting on my posts or authoring their own posts. And I want the whole thing to be searchable.

Double-edit They also aren't accepting new registrations.[/quote0f9f9e3706]

I can invite you to a new Writely document, and then you can invite your employees/co-workers to a new document (that you create). I wouldn't have access to the new document.[/quote0f9f9e3706]

Would you mind doing that? I'd like to check it out before conclusively deciding against it...

You've got my email...Thanks![/quote0f9f9e3706]

Done, check your gmail.