Parking in front of a house

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43426

UniPrize Media

23-07-2006 22:50:10

I went to my friend's house today and its one of those houses that you have to park on the street in front of the house. My friend lives with like 4 other people so there is never a place to park in front of his house. So I parked in front of the house that was across from his. Well when i was leaving the guy that lives in that house backs in to my car and was trying to push my car out of the way (by the way his car is a Mercedes, lol). Then when he saw me, he gets out of the car and started screaming at me about parking in front of his house. Well i didn't really argue with him and just got in my car and left. Now that I think about it and searched a little on the internet, he had no right to claim that spot as his. After all it's a public street and any one can park there. What do you guys think? I want to know if it's legally his parking spot or not. If not next time I go there I am going to park right in front of his house and also leave some kind of note for him.

somethinggarlic

23-07-2006 22:51:52

But wont he try and mess up your car again?

zdub08

23-07-2006 22:53:12

I think he's an asshole; I don't think it's legally his spot.

Daggoth

23-07-2006 22:54:07

You shouldn't park the car infront of his driveway.

UniPrize Media

23-07-2006 22:56:00

[quoted1827949cc="Daggoth"]You shouldn't park the car infront of his driveway.[/quoted1827949cc]

It's not a driveway. I think the garage is at the back of the house.

UniPrize Media

23-07-2006 22:57:00

[quote95fb28422d="somethinggarlic"]But wont he try and mess up your car again?[/quote95fb28422d]

I would love to see that. Then he can fix my car.

tjwor

23-07-2006 23:37:12

so wait... he ran into your car with his car? did it do damage? he should have to pay for it, take is insurance info, set up a camera and maybe he'll do something to it shrug if you don't like your car and want him to you could do this...

use window chalk to write "What are you going to do if I park here?" on the side facing his house (which wont' be seen from your camera), then video tape him messing up your car...

It is legal to park there as long as you don't park in the way of a driveway, and maybe a mailbox...

Rampage575

23-07-2006 23:39:32

[quote2fde4c233d="tjwor"]so wait... he ran into your car with his car? did it do damage? he should have to pay for it, take is insurance info, set up a camera and maybe he'll do something to it shrug if you don't like your car and want him to you could do this...

use window chalk to write "What are you going to do if I park here?" on the side facing his house (which wont' be seen from your camera), then video tape him messing up your car...

It is legal to park there as long as you don't park in the way of a driveway, and maybe a mailbox...[/quote2fde4c233d]

lol, brillant!

geej86

24-07-2006 02:28:44

weird... you told us the whole story right? so you were not blocking his driveway at all?

ClassAct

24-07-2006 06:17:08

It's perfectly legal, I leave my car over night all the time on random streets in front of people house, people prob dont like it but it's life, they dont own the street, if someone parked in front of my house id get a bit pissed just because its in front of my house, the reason everyone gets pissed about that kinda shit, do it again next time he cant do anything.

OldManWrigley

24-07-2006 06:40:07

So he pulled out of his garage from behind the house, drove around the cornor and ran into the back of your car trying to get it out from in front of his house?

You sure you weren't blocking a driveway?

CollidgeGraduit

24-07-2006 07:08:36

He could have gone and taken a dump on the guy's porch, for the sake of illustration, but that doesn't give anyone the right to ram his car. There are legal avenues that should have been taken, IF ulenie was even in the wrong.

egyptianruin

24-07-2006 07:12:15

[quote977782997a="OldManWrigley"]So he pulled out of his garage from behind the house, drove around the cornor and ran into the back of your car trying to get it out from in front of his house?

You sure you weren't blocking a driveway?[/quote977782997a]
[i977782997a]
Well when i was leaving the guy that lives in that house backs in to my car [/i977782997a]

He must have left his garage backwards and drove all the way around the block like that. I say you were blocking his driveway. No reason for someone to back into your car and try to push it out of the way unless they had to leave and you were blocking them, but I wasn't there so I don't know.

As for public street parking unless a housing committee deems private residential spots on a street, or they have handicap spots in front of their house and there isn't a NO PARKING sign it's okay to park anywhere you want within reason - ie you cant block someones driveway - that is against the law. It is also against the law to back into someones car to move it out of the way. I have a feeling the guy has some anger issues none the less.

The neighborhood I grew up in was malicious, breaking windows for spots, egging cars, marking spots with furniture (ie lawn chairs) etc. Yesterday I was reading the paper and someone put an ad in their for my old neighborhood it read "Will the owner of the White Nissan Ultima on Berkshire Rd please move your vehicle. It has been there for a week and other people would like to use the spot" I couldnt help buy laugh, thank God I live in a house that has ample parking.

UniPrize Media

24-07-2006 07:59:43

Why is every one talking about a driveway???

Ok, I drew a little illustration to show where I parked http//www.uniprize.net/illll.bmp

He did back in to my car and try to push it out the way. His car was a black car and mine was white. My back of the car already had scuff marks from people hitting it in the parking lot, but i still noticed black paint smeared all over it. By the way this guy is like in his 40's. Anyways, I am not sure if the guy has a garadge or not. My freind converted the garage in to a storage so the guy might have done the same thing. I am sure this is not the first time he got mad at people parking in front of his house, bec there is barely any spots on that street.

bballp6699

24-07-2006 08:04:08

Art is not your strong suit.

UniPrize Media

24-07-2006 08:05:34

[quote0355f88ca6="bballp6699"]Art is not your strong suit.[/quote0355f88ca6]

Haha D

Actually you should give me credit, bec i used Microsoft paint and I am on a laptop with no mouse.

bballp6699

24-07-2006 08:07:42

If what you said is true, I'd just do it again to piss him off and then call the cops on him if he pulls any shit. Rich people think they can just do as they please.

Vector

24-07-2006 08:11:32

he was dtrying to move a parked car with his benz?

he has no right to do that but if it was in front of his house then he can do nothing more than ask you to move it.

if it was in front of his driveway (any part of it) then he has the right to call the police, but again, not to move it)

UniPrize Media

24-07-2006 08:49:02

[quote9307cf92aa="Vector"]he was dtrying to move a parked car with his benz?

he has no right to do that but if it was in front of his house then he can do nothing more than ask you to move it.

if it was in front of his driveway (any part of it) then he has the right to call the police, but again, not to move it)[/quote9307cf92aa]

Ya, that's what i said. That guy was moron! He might have been frustrated with people parking in front of his house, but he had no right to claim that spot as his and trying to move my car. He was probably also a little drunk, bec it seemed like him and his wife were dressed up and prob went to dinner or something. His wife was probablly scared of what I would do and she just kept walking up to here house and didnt even look back.

bballp6699

24-07-2006 08:53:32

[quote4d5249442b="ulenie"]His wife was probablly scared of what I would do and she just kept walking up to here house and didnt even look back.[/quote4d5249442b]

Talk about having your husband's back.

UniPrize Media

24-07-2006 09:01:07

[quote978d8ed818="bballp6699"][quote978d8ed818="ulenie"]His wife was probablly scared of what I would do and she just kept walking up to here house and didnt even look back.[/quote978d8ed818]

Talk about having your husband's back.[/quote978d8ed818]

Ya, but she prob also thinks her husband is a nut job.

egyptianruin

24-07-2006 09:12:57

I would have called the cops - people are insane.

UniPrize Media

24-07-2006 09:23:53

[quoteff54e7dc17="egyptianruin"]I would have called the cops - people are insane.[/quoteff54e7dc17]

Ya tell me about it. I try not to mess with people when they are with their car . I always here road rage killings on the local news, so i just let them spill out their anger and just move on.

Vector

24-07-2006 09:40:46

yea, calling the cops would be good although even then it would make the cops say, "and why didnt you just move your car or leave?"

so... i dunno it would be a lose lose situation...

J4320

24-07-2006 10:31:57

[quote7fecf94cae="Vector"]yea, calling the cops would be good although even then it would make the cops say, "and why didnt you just move your car or leave?"

so... i dunno it would be a lose lose situation...[/quote7fecf94cae]

I doubt they'd say that. They'd go talk to the guy with the benz and work it out.

zdub08

24-07-2006 13:04:48

[quote8350fd1042="egyptianruin"]I would have called the cops - people are insane.[/quote8350fd1042]

you're the one going to otakon...

Anyway, shouldnt he have parked behind his house like he is supposed to? You should file an accident report if he damaged your car ..or at least it would bump up his insurance and teach him not to be such a prick

irannaked

24-07-2006 13:15:46

i say, puncture his tire.s with knife's.

come back a week, and do it agian. then leave a note saying "I think you'd rather be a asshole"

idk im stoned

zdub08

24-07-2006 13:21:56

cool

theysayjump

24-07-2006 13:28:50

[quote0f5f1e9798="ulenie"]Why is every one talking about a driveway???

Ok, I drew a little illustration to show where I parked http//www.uniprize.net/illll.bmp

He did back in to my car and try to push it out the way. His car was a black car and mine was white. My back of the car already had scuff marks from people hitting it in the parking lot, but i still noticed black paint smeared all over it. By the way this guy is like in his 40's. Anyways, I am not sure if the guy has a garadge or not. My freind converted the garage in to a storage so the guy might have done the same thing. I am sure this is not the first time he got mad at people parking in front of his house, bec there is barely any spots on that street.[/quote0f5f1e9798]

Were you visiting my next door neighbour? That's exactly how my street/alleyway is.

Also, as egyptianruin said, unless each household paid for their own private spot, has a no parking sign next to it or is reserved for handicapped parking then you have every right to park there.

When we moved into our current house, my sister-in-law parked across the street (we live where your friend lives on your picture and the guy this involves lives where the guy in your picture lives). The guy across the road didn't like it so he put nails around her car tires every time she parked. His car is black too. ?

Veek

24-07-2006 14:46:25

[quotea26133e01b="irannaked"]i say, puncture his tire.s with knife's.

come back a week, and do it agian. then leave a note saying "I think you'd rather be a asshole"

idk im stoned[/quotea26133e01b]

Quite possibly the smartest answer to the situation! And a lovely avatar to follow suit.

Wolfeman

24-07-2006 15:47:05

There is no law you could've broken to give him the right to damage your car. You can park on his front lawn and he still has no right to damage your car. You should've called the cops right away. Using a car to ram another car can be considered assault. I'd call the police right now and go back over. Don't resort to vandalizing his house, you are as bad as him if you do that. Oh, also, if he hit you car and left he can get arrested for leaving the scene of an accident...

UniPrize Media

24-07-2006 16:29:37

[quote7de6564bc6="theysayjump"][quote7de6564bc6="ulenie"]Why is every one talking about a driveway???

He did back in to my car and try to push it out the way. His car was a black car and mine was white. My back of the car already had scuff marks from people hitting it in the parking lot, but i still noticed black paint smeared all over it. By the way this guy is like in his 40's. Anyways, I am not sure if the guy has a garadge or not. My freind converted the garage in to a storage so the guy might have done the same thing. I am sure this is not the first time he got mad at people parking in front of his house, bec there is barely any spots on that street.[/quote7de6564bc6]

Were you visiting my next door neighbour? That's exactly how my street/alleyway is.

Also, as egyptianruin said, unless each household paid for their own private spot, has a no parking sign next to it or is reserved for handicapped parking then you have every right to park there.

When we moved into our current house, my sister-in-law parked across the street (we live where your friend lives on your picture and the guy this involves lives where the guy in your picture lives). The guy across the road didn't like it so he put nails around her car tires every time she parked. His car is black too. ?[/quote7de6564bc6]

Haha, that's funny. I live in Dallas, though. The thing is he didnt really damage my car, he just left scuff marks on where his car contacted mine and there were already scuff marks there. If he really had dented my car, i would have pursued this further. I also thought he had the right to claim that spot as his, but now I know he doesn't.

I don't want to damage his car or house, I just want to stick it up to him next time i go there. Yesterday, I parked my car there bec i didn't have any other place near to park at, next time I am going to park there (if his car is not there already), and leave some kind of note on my wind sheild.

theysayjump

24-07-2006 17:28:49

http//www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Oregon/dallas_or/dallascitycode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegaldallas_or

Click on Chapter 6 (the folder) on the left, then the fourth one down "Parking Regulations".

Everything that's considered illegal and the punishments for illegal parking. I had a quick look through it but couldn't see anything that applied to your situation.

UniPrize Media

24-07-2006 17:41:02

[quoteda4eb51530="theysayjump"]http//www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Oregon/dallas_or/dallascitycode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegaldallas_or

Click on Chapter 6 (the folder) on the left, then the fourth one down "Parking Regulations".

Everything that's considered illegal and the punishments for illegal parking. I had a quick look through it but couldn't see anything that applied to your situation.[/quoteda4eb51530]

I think you got the wrong Dallas there. I live in Dallas, TX. Good to know there is another Dallas D

egyptianruin

24-07-2006 19:22:36

[quote73fbb51d1d="zdub08"]

you're the one going to otakon...
[/quote73fbb51d1d]

lol me and 20,000 other people. I like anime, lol but I DON'T dress up and carry large paper swords around downtown Baltimore during O's Yankees weekend - now that's insane.

KnightTrader

24-07-2006 19:35:01

Aww but the Paper swords and kinky dresses are the only good parts. For the spectators atleast! lol. I was actually going to sumbit an Amv to otakon But I was too late.

bballp6699

24-07-2006 19:38:34

[quote36787ed1a4="ulenie"][quote36787ed1a4="theysayjump"]http//www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Oregon/dallas_or/dallascitycode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegaldallas_or

Everything that's considered illegal and the punishments for illegal parking. I had a quick look through it but couldn't see anything that applied to your situation.[/quote36787ed1a4]

I think you got the wrong Dallas there. I live in Dallas, TX. Good to know there is another Dallas D[/quote36787ed1a4]

Haha, welcome to the US, Jump. Everyone knows Oregon isn't a real state.

FreeOffersNow

24-07-2006 20:25:56

You guys don't have odd/even days? Here, you can park on one side of the road odd days, and the other side of the road even days...so that (unless someone is parked illegally) there are never cars parked on both sides of the street.

bballp6699

25-07-2006 05:29:06

[quoteed080d7243="FreeOffersNow"]You guys don't have odd/even days? Here, you can park on one side of the road odd days, and the other side of the road even days...so that (unless someone is parked illegally) there are never cars parked on both sides of the street.[/quoteed080d7243]

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

CollidgeGraduit

25-07-2006 06:36:26

[quotea5b957e98f="bballp6699"][quotea5b957e98f="FreeOffersNow"]You guys don't have odd/even days? Here, you can park on one side of the road odd days, and the other side of the road even days...so that (unless someone is parked illegally) there are never cars parked on both sides of the street.[/quotea5b957e98f]

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.[/quotea5b957e98f]

I've never heard of anyone having odd/even days. It would be less trouble to just always park on one side of the road, if they only want people parked on one side.

KeithA

25-07-2006 07:07:41

I live on a one-way street. Makes me wonder if I could persuade the neighbhorhood that the direction of traffic changes daily (e.g. even we go this way, odd we go that way).

People already go the wrong way all the time, but this would just be hilarious...

CollidgeGraduit

25-07-2006 07:21:57

[quotebcca988196="KeithA"]I live on a one-way street. Makes me wonder if I could persuade the neighbhorhood that the direction of traffic changes daily (e.g. even we go this way, odd we go that way).

People already go the wrong way all the time, but this would just be hilarious...[/quotebcca988196]

Hilarity would ensue on the 1st day of the month after a month with 31 days. I guarantee most people would think "I drove west yesterday, so today it's east"

kyks17

25-07-2006 10:04:39

switching sides of the street every day seems a bit ridiculous. cant really leave your car there while you're gone for more than a day, and also have to come out and move it even if you're not going anywhere.

justinag06

25-07-2006 11:28:13

thats why i'm glad I live in texas where the streets are big enough for cars parked on both sides, and traffic to go through.

that whole odd/even shit sounds complicated as hell

kyks17

25-07-2006 12:10:41

yeah plus what time of day is the switch? coming home on an odd day and parking appropriately would mean you would be wrong in the morning O_o

tjwor

25-07-2006 15:04:17

i'm starting to thinkg the whole odd/even days thing was a joke... i mean, how can this work out, everyone has to go outside at 8 in the morning and move their cars? Things just aren't adding up... i'd move if it was like that...

theysayjump

25-07-2006 15:12:48

We have Odd/Even days once a month, but that's so that the streets can be cleaned.

On the first Monday of the month, on the left, you're not allowed to park from about 7am to 1pm, and on the first Wednesday of the month, on the right, you're not allowed to park from 7am to 1pm.

freedesktoppc

25-07-2006 15:32:08

Welcome to living in NYC, alternate side parking every single day. No joke.

EatChex89

25-07-2006 17:26:06

lol

it's only illegal to park in front of a driveway

Veek

25-07-2006 19:16:31

[quote1e7706f36d="EatChex89"]lol

it's only illegal to park in front of a driveway[/quote1e7706f36d]

Because my house is right on the dead end, people think they can park their cars all around it considering it's not a street where people constantly drive by. They suffer the consequence when they don't find their car there anymore.

I <3 the near by towing company, and they <3 the money I make them.

Oh and FYI, I don't do it to be an asshole. Before I would head over my neighbors house and in a very polite and friendly manner, I'd tell them to move their car. They did and promised not to do it anymore. But when it came to them throwing parties, their friends were all over my driveway like sluts on a one dollar bill. Then again, I have better things to do than worry about what my neighbors think of me. D

FreeOffersNow

25-07-2006 20:57:11

[quote344ed067a9="freedesktoppc"]Welcome to living in NYC, alternate side parking every single day. No joke.[/quote344ed067a9]

Glad someone else lives in New York...

The odd/even system (which I believe is in use state-wide) is probably used for the following reasons

A) To discourage people from parking their car on the street "permanently"

B) To allow snow plows to clear the snow on BOTH sides of the street (right side one day, left side the next)

I'm sure there are more reasons, but really, it's not a huge deal...I can't recall a time I've actually had to know the date to know which side to park on...just park where everyone else is parked (unless of course you're parking after midnight...then the "monkey see, monkey do" approach doesn't necessarily work as well). Plus...it's not like cops go running around at 1201AM ticketing.

samz465

25-07-2006 21:37:50

Im from NY too ).

Long island...

But it just so happens I was in the city today getting my passport re-done ).