Making a paypal site.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43206

Bentley

19-07-2006 17:03:47

OK so I need to make a paypal site to sell items for this game, because I don't like having to pay ebay 14.99/mo especially after they got money out of me for some free subcription I forgot about. One of my friends, friend is willing to make me a site but he is gonna charge $70 and he says thats fairly cheap. I don't have a problem paying him but is that what most people charge and how hard would it be to do it myself?

Averagejoe1039

19-07-2006 17:15:10

I would also like to know about this.

Jams44

19-07-2006 17:22:40

[quoted7373495a7="Bentley"]$70 and he says thats fairly cheap. I don't have a problem paying him but is that what most people charge and how hard would it be to do it myself?[/quoted7373495a7]

$70 is very cheap although I have made sites for less. But it would be much easier to pay someone $70 and have a nice lookig reaady too use site then to have it done for free and be crapy, potentially losing money.

dmorris68

19-07-2006 17:25:48

$70 for a site is nothing, so either he's not a pro or he's doing you a huge favor. I charge that much per hour. Real e-commerce sites can cost into the THOUSANDS.

When you say "a PayPal site" you just mean you want to put your stuff up for sale on a site and take PayPal as payment? You don't need anything special for that. Lots of free shopping cart scripts out there, if you even need that much. But I expect it will take more than a few hours to get designed, setup, tested, and debugged even for a simple site, unless they've already done similar sites and have a bunch of templates/code already setup.

geej86

19-07-2006 18:27:39

if you do it yourself and don't need top notch hosting get some dreamhost for $10/yr promo code 777

Bentley

19-07-2006 18:37:27

[quote41635e1888="dmorris68"]$70 for a site is nothing, so either he's not a pro or he's doing you a huge favor. I charge that much per hour. Real e-commerce sites can cost into the THOUSANDS.

When you say "a PayPal site" you just mean you want to put your stuff up for sale on a site and take PayPal as payment? You don't need anything special for that. Lots of free shopping cart scripts out there, if you even need that much. But I expect it will take more than a few hours to get designed, setup, tested, and debugged even for a simple site, unless they've already done similar sites and have a bunch of templates/code already setup.[/quote41635e1888]

Yea exactly like that. Just for paypal and I list the stuff and they have the checkout and everything.

FreeEnterprize Joe

19-07-2006 20:27:02

just get a free shopping cart script. You'll need cheap webhosting with php or perl (or whatever language your cart is in) enabled.

I would try hostgator -- they have pretty good hosting and their script setup is easy. It comes with a one-click install e-store script that would work well for you.

hope that helps!

-Joe

cwncool

19-07-2006 22:05:06

[quotea91cd0f779="toebash"]just get a free shopping cart script. You'll need cheap webhosting with php or perl (or whatever language your cart is in) enabled.

I would try hostgator -- they have pretty good hosting and their script setup is easy. It comes with a one-click install e-store script that would work well for you.

hope that helps!

-Joe[/quotea91cd0f779]
ahem
|
|
|
|
V
We have fantastico which can automatically install many scripts such as OSCommerce, ZenCart and Cube Cart. I'm just saying. ;)
|
|
|
V

Bentley

19-07-2006 22:12:13

Considering I'm a total newb to the website making scene, I don't really have a clue to what you 2 are talking about, but I know what the paypal cart is just not the other stuff.

cwncool

20-07-2006 07:34:43

I'll explain. If you have a hosting account at our site, then you go into your control panel and there is a button that says fantastico. You click on that and it takes you to a huge list of scripts, including some shopping cart software, such as OSCommerce, ZenCart and Cube Cart. You just click and it installs it onto your server. We also have a nice helpdesk ;)

Labtec-Jay

20-07-2006 08:38:56

Im confused on how to use these scripts. Do I have to have the hosting and server already set up to edit them? Can I somehow build the page before buying the webspace?

cwncool

20-07-2006 08:51:06

well, probably not unless you had a webserver set up on your page, because you will need a server side language such as php or asp to run the scripts. they arent like html files that you can just view on a normal pc...

Labtec-Jay

20-07-2006 08:56:10

So I need to pay for the hosting to design the page?

Darn, I was hoping to have it all set up and then buy the hosting.

cwncool

20-07-2006 09:06:16

[quote83862b8cf8="Labtec-Jay"]So I need to pay for the hosting to design the page?

Darn, I was hoping to have it all set up and then buy the hosting.[/quote83862b8cf8]
you could find a free webhost and set your site up on that server and if it fits your needs, stay with them, but if you need more, then you should pay for hosting.
http//www.free-webhosts.com

dmorris68

20-07-2006 09:44:26

If you just want to play around with development, you can download something like XAMPP[=http//www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html]XAMPP, which is a packaged set of Apache (web server), PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, etc. that you can run on your local machine.

Of course if you have no knowledge of, or experience with, web development, it will probably be over your head to actually use once you get it installed, but it's a good way to learn if that's what you want to do.