how to transfer iTunes music from desktop to laptop

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43051

Craig

16-07-2006 22:58:59

i just got a dell off ebay for $393 shipped. i have purchased iTunes music on my desktop.is there anyway i can transfer the music with the protection still on the music to the itunes on the laptop?
Thanks
~Craig

theysayjump

16-07-2006 23:29:08

Not sure about the protection, but what I do with my wife's iBook is have all my music on my Desktop shared, then on the iBook, open iTunes and search through the network for the shared music folder. Add all the songs to the Library and hit play.

It saves all that space being taken up on your Laptop's HDD also, but depending on how much your bandwidth is being used, the songs may skip if you're downloading and trying to play them over the network at the same time.

burritopunk

16-07-2006 23:47:02

crossover cable?

or get Ephpod and take songs off your ipod to the other computer.

theysayjump

16-07-2006 23:54:49

[quote6d05ac68bc="burritopunk"]crossover cable?

or get Ephpod and take songs off your iPod to the other computer.[/quote6d05ac68bc]

I don't think he's bothered about the actual process of copying them, but the fact that since they're "protected", would they work on the Laptop since they were downloaded on the Desktop.

slockhart

17-07-2006 00:21:19

I use anapod + an iPod

http//www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

[quoteca7b839f42]Anapod Explorer, our flagship iPod product, is composed of Anapod Explorer itself, Anapod CopyGear, and Anapod PhotoSync. Anapod is the most advanced Windows iPod software available, offering iPod management through full Windows Explorer integration under My Computer, easy drag and drop iPod transfer and iPod backup, PDA function support, photo and video transfer, web page interface access to your iPod through a built-in web server, powerful search and reporting capabilities using a built-in SQL database, and much more, all in one compact package. A great backup tool or iTunes alternative.[/quoteca7b839f42]

dmorris68

17-07-2006 10:06:50

The DRM protection shouldn't be a problem -- iTunes allows you to authorize 5 computers/devices for playback. Just copy the music files over (via whatever method network, CD-ROM, etc.) and install iTunes on the laptop. Let iTunes import the music files into its library. Or if you have the music on an iPod, just install iTunes and then sync the iPod contents to the PC.

The first time you play a song, iTunes will login to your account and authorize that PC for playback.