I need someone to design/build a small business website

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=43026

geej86

16-07-2006 12:34:55

this thread is okay to post here right?

If you may be interested send me a PM and i'll send you more details.

I will not have a merchant account so i will probably use paypal, however, I would like a shopping cart system. Until I upgrade hosting I would be using dreamhost - which I think allows zen-cart (so if this is a good shopping cart system i would like to use that).

It is must that it look VERY professional and be aesthetically pleasing to ME. I am very detail oriented. I will only have a few products and if you are very skilled at building websites I would assume because of its size my site would be fairly simple.

I'm not sure how this usually works but i really need to like the colors and design for someone to get paid, so diff drafts/options will have to be made i guess. Also maybe list some prices in your PM, i'm a student and i certainly can't afford to be paying tons for a design.

I might need a logo drawn up to and incorporated into it. FYI the demographic is sort of 18-25.

hehehhehe

16-07-2006 12:43:23

You sound very demanding. How much are you offering for the work?

Be sure to gauge the quality you expect with the compensation you're offering. You might also go to one of those sites where you can get bids from Ukrainians and Indians.

geej86

16-07-2006 12:54:04

honestly, what do people usually pay for web sites? low/high

FreeOffersNow

16-07-2006 13:06:02

[quotee06effb8cd="geej86"]honestly, what do people usually pay for web sites? low/high[/quotee06effb8cd]

Really, there are A LOT of factors to consider. Some designers/developers work off of an "average hourly rate" to determine their what they'll charge for a job, while others do not. Also, the size and level of difficulty of the project will play a roll, too. I suggest you write up a project summary/specification sheet and go from there...you mentioned you are detail oriented which means you will have to be very specific on your wants/needs. Finally, note that often times just having them translate your ideas to code is much cheaper than you asking them to come up with the ideas themselves (i.e. designer vs developer). I'd offer my services, but I've been absolutely swamped lately. Good luck.

Darkside

16-07-2006 13:14:40

Sent you a PM.

Vector

16-07-2006 13:54:58

[quotecd539a3d27="geej86"]honestly, what do people usually pay for web sites? low/high[/quotecd539a3d27]

for a one page site i charge about $179 that comes with domain and 6months hosting, for a pretty big project with custom scripts some projects go up to $8000+ we usually get a third party to do that stuff D

geej86

16-07-2006 14:05:33

i already got hosting and a domain but the $100-150 range sounds about right. Honestly with the content and idea behind my site i don't think it'd be that hard. I almost wanted to try and build it myself but I just don't think the finished product would have that professional look to it ya know. has anyone used this zen-cart before?

cwncool

16-07-2006 14:11:46

[quote2281059030="geej86"]this thread is okay to post here right?

I will not have a merchant account so i will probably use paypal, however, I would like a shopping cart system. [b2281059030]Until I upgrade hosting[/b2281059030] I would be using dreamhost - which I think allows zen-cart (so if this is a good shopping cart system i would like to use that).

It is must that it look VERY professional and be aesthetically pleasing to ME. I am very detail oriented. I will only have a few products and if you are very skilled at building websites I would assume because of its size my site would be fairly simple.

I'm not sure how this usually works but i really need to like the colors and design for someone to get paid, so diff drafts/options will have to be made i guess. Also maybe list some prices in your PM, i'm a student and i certainly can't afford to be paying tons for a design.

I might need a logo drawn up to and incorporated into it. FYI the demographic is sort of 18-25.[/quote2281059030]
upgrade hosting eh... wink
| |
| |
v v

Psyc

16-07-2006 17:53:09

PM'd

Vector

16-07-2006 17:58:11

[quote4f3c1bb769="cwncool"][quote4f3c1bb769="geej86"]this thread is okay to post here right?

I will not have a merchant account so i will probably use paypal, however, I would like a shopping cart system. [b4f3c1bb769]Until I upgrade hosting[/b4f3c1bb769] I would be using dreamhost - which I think allows zen-cart (so if this is a good shopping cart system i would like to use that).

I might need a logo drawn up to and incorporated into it. FYI the demographic is sort of 18-25.[/quote4f3c1bb769]
| |
| |
v v[/quote4f3c1bb769]

Wow... "We are currently redoing our design. Please come back soon!" what a tremendous host, they dont offer support or allow new signups because they are redesigning their site.... that is super!

Veek

16-07-2006 18:07:08

The company I work for pays me 25 an hour, which is cheap to them considering the money they have, and almost looks unbelieveable considering the bitch before me charged $40 for crap!

KeithA

16-07-2006 18:23:39

[quotec9820f61c5="Veek"]The company I work for pays me 25 an hour, which is cheap to them considering the money they have, and almost looks unbelieveable considering the bitch before me charged $40 for crap![/quotec9820f61c5]

When I was 18 or so, I could hack together a reasonable looking site given the status quo at the time. (Remember, this was 7-8 years ago--I'm not claiming any talent today.)

When I landed my first internship (at a PR firm, one of whose specialties was "e-communication" for political and cause-related campaigns), I was amazed to learn that they were paying a 3rd party as much as $20k to design and host their clients' sites.

Seems like there is always a market for dramatically over-priced design...

cwncool

16-07-2006 18:24:20

[quoted95561b51c="Vector"][quoted95561b51c="cwncool"][quoted95561b51c="geej86"]this thread is okay to post here right?

I will not have a merchant account so i will probably use paypal, however, I would like a shopping cart system. [bd95561b51c]Until I upgrade hosting[/bd95561b51c] I would be using dreamhost - which I think allows zen-cart (so if this is a good shopping cart system i would like to use that).

I might need a logo drawn up to and incorporated into it. FYI the demographic is sort of 18-25.[/quoted95561b51c]
| |
| |
v v[/quoted95561b51c]

Wow... "We are currently redoing our design. Please come back soon!" what a tremendous host, they dont offer support or allow new signups because they are redesigning their site.... that is super![/quoted95561b51c]
) I don't need to offer support right now, I don't have any customers. which is why i'm redesigning. )