I AM SCREWED

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42943

amir89630

14-07-2006 18:31:40

Well, I was on my way to meet some friends at the movie theater, so i was in a slight rush to get there quickly. So I am going quick down the country rode 75 in a 55 to be exact.

... When, BAM outta nowhere this cop makes u turn from oncoming traffic and tails me for about a mile or so (as soon as the cop made the u turn I immediatelly slowed down to 55). Well Anyways he pulls me over and tells me that I am going 80 in a 55. And as much as a I beg and plead, he cuts me NO slack and writes me up for 80 in the 55. Well anyways, I am sitting here, and I haven't told my parents yet, and I don't really know what to do.

If my parents find out who knows what the hell could happen. I might get no car for like 2 months or something crazy like that .

Basically,

I am FUCKED

ClassAct

14-07-2006 18:34:36

how much the ticket for? I know where Im from can go to the city clerk to pay it, or maybe that's just parking tickets, when I was outta state at school got one there and it was same thing, i could send the money within 30 days through mail, if u got the money just pay it off and theyll never know.

amir89630

14-07-2006 18:37:56

ya, but they pay for my insurance, and im sure if i get some points on my DR it will shoot up like crazy. Because I am 17 and my insurance is already sky high and one little mistake can shoot in up way high.

irannaked

14-07-2006 18:40:27

well, i hope that it sint that much of a big deal and that it all goes smothly with the parents.

im 20 with my permit and have YEt to get my first ticket HAHA

can't wait to see what it is for though

Admin

14-07-2006 18:41:40

see if you can take traffic school.

also, you can attempt to argue that the officer did not have sufficient ability to gauge your speed and/or ask for a smaller fine/punishment/point reduction based on your student status.

ClassAct

14-07-2006 18:45:23

U can try to fight it, I actually suggest but ur parents would find out, I fought one ticket that was like 250 and they reduced it to like 100, i was somewhat lucky but most of the time the officers dont show up and U win

h3x

14-07-2006 18:45:27

[spoiler701abcd08e]There are places where you can get your odometer tested and get a "report" saying that your car's odometer is 'xx' MPH off balance, go to the court hearing and contest the ticket with the report. You'll get off the hook and only cost you $10-15.[/spoiler701abcd08e]

amir89630

14-07-2006 18:51:07

[quote9b4217347a="h3x"][spoiler9b4217347a]There are places where you can get your odometer tested and get a "report" saying that your car's odometer is 'xx' MPH off balance, go to the court hearing and contest the ticket with the report. You'll get off the hook and only cost you $10-15.[/spoiler9b4217347a][/quote9b4217347a]

like is that a fraudulent report. Because I'm pretty sure my speedo isn't really that much off balance.

DesperateForAss

14-07-2006 19:01:56

[quote039e4bdd88="amir89630"][quote039e4bdd88="h3x"][spoiler039e4bdd88]There are places where you can get your odometer tested and get a "report" saying that your car's odometer is 'xx' MPH off balance, go to the court hearing and contest the ticket with the report. You'll get off the hook and only cost you $10-15.[/spoiler039e4bdd88][/quote039e4bdd88]

like is that a fraudulent report. Because I'm pretty sure my speedo isn't really that much off balance.[/quote039e4bdd88]

The court wouldn't know it, that's the point.

hehehhehe

14-07-2006 19:09:22

Yeah, but 80 in a 55 because the speedometer is off? They wouldn't buy it and you might get in more trouble for pulling that shit.

Just go to traffic school and it won't go on your record. You could even keep it secret from you parents (I think).

ragefu

14-07-2006 19:43:44

I got a 51 in a 25 last year, anything 20 over is wreckless. And your under 18 so you can't prepay so you pretty much fucked. I had to go to a class with my dad to get the charges dropped, but I only had to pay court costs so it wasn't that bad

shortys408

14-07-2006 20:09:11

tickets arent the worst thing that can happen to you. You can take it to court and most likely win. Because it is your first ticket, they may stick you with the fine but you will not get any points.

amir89630

14-07-2006 20:14:35

Well its not wreckless because on the back wreckless is qualified as speeding in [b626b1b5a3b]excess[/b626b1b5a3b] of 25mph, and the cop told me that since i wasn't over, but rather exactly on 25, i shouldn't be REQUIRED to show up in court.

Actually this is my second ticket. I got my first one while i was in orange county like 8 months ago when i was goin like 62 in a 50. My parents let it slide, but I had to pay for the ticket, and they were REALLY pissed, and since this time is my second time, I think they will really be in the mood for whoopin some ass.

Anyways....

I opted to take the traffic school on my first ticket, but i never went and ended up just getting one point on my driving record. But since I opted for it, but never showed up, is there a possiblity that I can take it for this ticket.

edit hmm... i wonder if hairyferry could maybe pull some strings for me in exchange for a green. wink

... figured it was worth a shot.

tjwor

15-07-2006 01:55:44

just slwo down fucker! drive like a civilize dperson

i've been drinking... go fight that shit, you will probably win!

parents will get over it i think...

CollidgeGraduit

15-07-2006 05:03:23

[quotea2bea1c684="tjwor"]just slwo down fucker! drive like a civilize dperson[/quotea2bea1c684]

ya rly

amir89630

15-07-2006 09:52:54

Just broke the news to my dad.

He was pissed, but it didn't go nearly as bad as I thought it would ( I was expecting him to punch me in the face)

He just gave me this long and angry lecture about speeding, and he told me that I would have to pay for the ticket as well as even the slightest increase in my car insurance.

But i am still gonna try to go to court and plead my case.

burritopunk

15-07-2006 09:54:54

congrats man. what are you going to tell the judge as your explanation?

fyi i flipped my car and they fined me for driving without consent to the speed limit, eventhough i wasn't speeding. the officer said they had to ticket me for something. long story short, i went to court and plead GUILTY WITH AN EXPLANATION and told em my story, and since i had never got a ticket before, the judge dropped the charges and put me on probation for a year, which means if i didnt get a moving violation ticket, the charges would be cleared from my record. so perhaps something similar will happen to you.

amir89630

15-07-2006 10:12:39

Well basically I'm gonna tell the judge that I was in a rush, and that I'm really sorry.

And that even though I was being wreckless, there were absolutely no cars near me.

etc etc.....

Im just gonna try and kiss his ass as much as possible and hope for a break.

kidd2108

15-07-2006 10:13:59

[quote064151f322="amir89630"]Well its not wreckless because on the back wreckless is qualified as speeding in [b064151f322]excess[/b064151f322] of 25mph, and the cop told me that since i wasn't over, but rather exactly on 25, i shouldn't be REQUIRED to show up in court.

[b064151f322]Actually this is my second ticket. I got my first one while i was in orange county like 8 months ago when i was goin like 62 in a 50. [/b064151f322] My parents let it slide, but I had to pay for the ticket, and they were REALLY pissed, and since this time is my second time, I think they will really be in the mood for whoopin some ass.

Anyways....

I opted to take the traffic school on my first ticket, but i never went and ended up just getting one point on my driving record. But since I opted for it, but never showed up, is there a possiblity that I can take it for this ticket.

edit hmm... i wonder if hairyferry could maybe pull some strings for me in exchange for a green. wink

... figured it was worth a shot.[/quote064151f322]

After reading that you got a speeding ticket before...I just think you drive too fast. At first you made it seem like your innocent,but I think you just gotta slow down.

hairyferry

15-07-2006 10:27:52

ok, here's the deal. You can take your car and get the speedometer checked but more than likely you'll pay atleast 50-75 bucks to get that checked. If that's not the problem you're screwed your money. If it was a problem you can take the receipt into court and more than likely they'll throw it out or knock it down quite a bit.

If you don't get your speedo tested you should always go to court anyway even if you know you're guilty. Most of the time the cop will confront you before the trial and haggle it down so that he doesn't have to spend all day there or come back at a later date. They'll usually know off some of the points if not all and reduce the fine. If you plead not guilty or the cop doesn't approach you to haggle it down you'll have to come back.

Also, Admin said also, you can attempt to argue that the officer did not have sufficient ability to gauge your speed"

On a cops radar they can hit you with the radar if they are facing you, sideways, if you're behind him, if he's driving by you. Most state troopers have an antenna in the rear of their car so if they're facing one way and you speed behind him he can see how fast you're going. If he doesn't have an antenna back there then he can't.

Hope that helps a bit.

gafdpc

15-07-2006 12:19:02

First up, chances are he's not gonna show up in court. A couple of my friends have had tickets dropped this way. If he's not there its an automatic drop...

If you show's up you can either play the good guy and show how much you have reformed, or argue what admin said. I think it would be really hard for a judge to buy that a cop driving can get someone's speed going the other way to that certainty. If the judge thinks the cop has an error of say, 15 mph, then your ticket gets dropped to 65.

CollidgeGraduit

15-07-2006 12:48:46

Good luck, but I hope you've learned to SLOW DOWN. There's a reason speed limits are in place.

amir89630

15-07-2006 12:58:39

well, yes i am like super paranoid, so i have been driving exactly the speed limit now.

But memphis is full of dumbasses so the speed limits are designed to reflect that. Anywhere else in the world, everything would be 10 mph higher. They are just extra low because people are too stupid to keep themselves focused.

But anyways I learned my lesson.

JJPRO11

15-07-2006 13:58:01

its not very hard to tell w/o a radar gun if your going 25 mph over a speed limit. 80 mph is fast. so im not too sure they will buy he couldnt gauge your speed. but its worth a try to go and hope he doesnt show up. being your second ticket you have worse odds than you would if it was your first. but you never know what kind of judge you will get.

Daggoth

15-07-2006 14:03:41

Schedule the court date on a time where the cop cannot go. I'd go talk to the cop and ask him what day is good or bad for him and then schedule it on the bad day.

xyclonez

15-07-2006 14:54:30

[quote451f5b5030="Daggoth"]Schedule the court date on a time where the cop cannot go. I'd go talk to the cop and ask him what day is good or bad for him and then schedule it on the bad day.[/quote451f5b5030]

u use be able to see a cops vacation days and then u wud schedule it on those days

johnjimjones

15-07-2006 15:42:52

wait....stopped by the police? just keep going, you were already going 80, kick it up to 6/7th gear.

lol

where i live our school figured out that at any point in time there are 2 cops on duty so basically if you just passed 2 cop cars you're clear for the rest of the way you're going. plus the roads are really windy so there are barely and steakout spots and where there are spots we know when to slow down. also their shift change is between 4-5 in the morning so all them know when the best time to race is (not be but those that do).

gafdpc

15-07-2006 16:27:32

Thing is if all he can tell if that you were going over the speed limit, he can only get you for the base charge. He has to be able to definitively say you were going 80. As tickets go, when a cop "estimates" your speed, its the easiest to get out of. Radar (obviously) and pacing are much harder.

Also, cops have speed certifications, which show within what error they can estimate your speed. For instance, if a cops speed cert. is 5 mph, then if he says you were going 80, it is valid in court as 80 plus or minus 5. So basically if his speed cert is high, you can get off with a lower fine.

Check out this article while most of it is obvious, theres a few things you might find useful.

http//www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/45103/article.html[]http//www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/45103/article.html

hairyferry

15-07-2006 19:21:46

[quotefbd8889d9b="gafdpc"]First up, chances are he's not gonna show up in court. A couple of my friends have had tickets dropped this way. If he's not there its an automatic drop...

If you show's up you can either play the good guy and show how much you have reformed, or argue what admin said. [bfbd8889d9b]I think it would be really hard for a judge to buy that a cop driving can get someone's speed going the other way to that certainty.[/bfbd8889d9b] If the judge thinks the cop has an error of say, 15 mph, then your ticket gets dropped to 65.[/quotefbd8889d9b]

If you're a cop and you're driving down the road and your radar is clicked on the option of movement and not stationary you can hit oncoming traffic. Trust me I know. lol

Killer722

15-07-2006 20:42:05

Psh, i got pulled over at 1 AM in my mom's car and got a ticket for no inspection ticket for $130. He pulled me over because one of my headlights were out, but comes back on when you bang on it. Which i proved to him. ( Wasn't my fault my mom didn't inspect the stupid car.
P friking S, the inspection stations were closed that whole week. (

akalic

15-07-2006 21:30:05

serves you right for having friends

gafdpc

15-07-2006 23:34:54

[quote657cc4307f="hairyferry"][quote657cc4307f="gafdpc"]First up, chances are he's not gonna show up in court. A couple of my friends have had tickets dropped this way. If he's not there its an automatic drop...

If you show's up you can either play the good guy and show how much you have reformed, or argue what admin said. [b657cc4307f]I think it would be really hard for a judge to buy that a cop driving can get someone's speed going the other way to that certainty.[/b657cc4307f] If the judge thinks the cop has an error of say, 15 mph, then your ticket gets dropped to 65.[/quote657cc4307f]

If you're a cop and you're driving down the road and your radar is clicked on the option of movement and not stationary you can hit oncoming traffic. Trust me I know. lol[/quote657cc4307f]

I was assuming is was just based on estimation because of someone's post a few up. But if it was based on radar and there was a lot of traffic you can try and claim he was hitting another car nearby.

AlreadyHome

15-07-2006 23:43:12

Anyone know if warning violations are kept on record? I got one the other day (65 in a 55), but it was just a warning. If I was pulled over again, could they see that warning and then use it as an excuse to ticket me?

CollidgeGraduit

16-07-2006 04:54:50

[quote7b656cff0d="AlreadyHome"]Anyone know if warning violations are kept on record? I got one the other day (65 in a 55), but it was just a warning. If I was pulled over again, could they see that warning and then use it as an excuse to ticket me?[/quote7b656cff0d]

I think they'd be more apt to use you breaking the law as an excuse to ticket you...

hairyferry

16-07-2006 05:28:17

[quote2789e1ed53="AlreadyHome"]Anyone know if warning violations are kept on record? I got one the other day (65 in a 55), but it was just a warning. If I was pulled over again, could they see that warning and then use it as an excuse to ticket me?[/quote2789e1ed53]

In NY they do not keep track of warnings, but I have friends in Kentucky and they do keep track of warnings. So I guess it depends where you live.

Tropic32

16-07-2006 07:46:52

your an idiot if you fight this and lose.

you'll be in a hell alot of trouble man.

hairyferry

16-07-2006 10:25:00

[quote2d2b26e613="Tropic32"]your an idiot if you fight this and lose.

you'll be in a hell alot of trouble man.[/quote2d2b26e613]

How bout you stop thread crapping and encourage the guy. He already know's he's in trouble.

gafdpc

16-07-2006 11:54:13

I think he's already in the hell of a lot of trouble and trying to get out of it.

Don't think its gonna get too much worse.

shortys408

16-07-2006 12:17:13

once a cop claimed to have clocked me at 130.......but my car is governed at 110. that was funny.

hairyferry

16-07-2006 12:31:48

lol, so were you going 110?

egyptianruin

16-07-2006 12:37:24

I would go to defensive driving school of your own free will, then go to court...maybe you will get a PBJ. I got a ticket for doing 80 on 95 in Virginia once, I had to go to court there (anything over 80 is automatic court) and plea bargain with the prosocution, it was my first ticket. I plead with the mean lady and she gave me 100 fine no points, the guy before me refused to plea bargain and got $600 fine and 6 month suspended liscense. This was years ago of course, haven't had a ticket since!

tjwor

16-07-2006 12:40:14

how fast were you going shorty?

and tropic...

WTF? He isn't going to get into more trouble for fighting it, his parents already know, fighting it will likley reduce how much it was, i'd go in there and say I was driving 73, because I was in a major hurry, and he told me I was going 80 but i am 100% sure I never let my speed get over 75...

Most likley you will get the ticket for 70-75mph, but better than 80 shrug

egyptianruin

16-07-2006 12:42:34

Yeah they reduced my 80 to a 72

amir89630

16-07-2006 13:21:48

[quotef320fc31d2="gafdpc"]I think he's already in the hell of a lot of trouble and trying to get out of it.

Don't think its gonna get too much worse.[/quotef320fc31d2]

I can think of a few ways it could be worse

Dave82

17-07-2006 00:52:01

Amir, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My good friend is a cop and said that all those "tricks" just piss the judge off. That ligetting your gauge testedli makes it look so obvious you are finding excuses which is the number one thing they hate. All of that "when was the last time the officer's gun was calibrated" crap is worthless. It goes against you in their eyes. Judges look for admission of guilt and sincere remorse. They hate excuses (even if they are legitimate).

Your best bet is to admit youre wrong. My cop friend told me that they let people go who are speeding sometimes 15 m/h, but if they are changing lanes like crazy then they could be speeding 7 miles over the limit and they get pulled over. So go with the idea that there were no other cars around to show that it wasnt a very recklace event. But again, the trick is to introduce this without making it seem like an excuse. I dont know how to do that one.

addressing that link
"'If it looks like you're going to lose, say, 'Your honor, I see that you're very busy here. I will cite CVC 41501 and take traffic school,'" Meyer told me'" ---- NO, DO NOT SAY THIS. If you wanna go this route, towards the end, and only if you are seriously losing, ask, "Is there an educational alternative for me, like traffic school? Maybe i could benefit from that?" Asking questions if good. If you say, "i could benefit from that," it looks like you are litellingli the judge. They dont like the idea that you have suggestions to get you out of the ticket. The more lijudge is all powerful and you are at their mercy and you know nothing and they know/rule it allli attitude you have the better. Have a sad look when you ask and look the judge in the eye when you ask, but at the very END of your sentence (meaning sentence you are speaking) look down to your feet. Swallow when the judge is speaking.

No laughing, talking, smiling, drinking pop, anything before your trial while you are waiting. Take NO chance that the judge sees you happy. Or majistrate.... whoever deals with the underage affairs.

NO "going with the flow".... my friend said they only allow about 6-10 m/h for that excuse, and besides you said no other cars

Explain your case and then when you go to apologize kinda hang your head down a little and have your eyes looking down and swallow alot when youre getting your apology out to make it seem like you are really having difficulty getting it out (bc you feel bad/guilty about it).

DO NOT say stuff like, "Well actually i was going 75."

Say something like, "Your honor, i am not a recklace person and this is not a good representation of who i am."

I think that sounds less fake than other things.

As for your parents.... i dont know. I never had strict parents. I'd imagine that you are gonna have to be extra good for a while to help ease the tension/anger.

You will have to go to court obviously bc you are under 18. But if you were over 18, my friend said it is in MOST cares a bad idea to fight a ticket bc you end up paying court costs. And if the officer does show, then they usually always side with the cop (even if he is wrong). It doesnt look good for the city to have a n officer making bad calls. Judges know the law too well and all the exceptions and ways to twist things.

Daggoth mentioned the idea of finding out what is a good/bad day for the cop. This concept is the best idea bc my friend said that 99% of the time if it is on an off day for the cop, he/she will not go and you win by default. The only time they show up on their off day to court is if the cop has a record of certain things or problems on his files or it is a case that could prove them negligent/at fault of something.
The idea however of asking good/bad day will NOT work though bc my friend said that know what people are doing. And they hate that trick. If the cop finds out you are asking about this he will definately show. So my friend said that they wont answer that question about their schedule; they will give typical answers not given any indication of their schedule or even lie.

Calling up the station will do you no good bc if he is on the road they cant transfer a call to him. But they wont tell you he is out on duty either. They might just say he is unavailable and ask if you have a message. So have your friend call the station and ask if officer ____ is working today bc you were contacting him about a D.A.R.E. program for involvement in your school. For something like they will say yes/no. If no ask, when he is usually in and they'll tell you. They are not suspicious of kids asking about something like that so you'll get an answer. That way you can get an idea of his schedule (if it isnt a rotating).

If your friend does happen to get ahold of him bc he happens to be there when you make the call, just have your friend say, "i looking for ways to get involved in the D.A.R.E. movement" When he says he isnt the officer that does the high school D.A.R.E program act surprised and say, "Oh, i am sorry! Can you tell me who is," to make it seem legitimate. If he IS the high school D.A.R.E. officer (HIGHLY unlikely) then your friend says something, "I was interested in getting DARE poster to hang in the hallways of school for the 2006-2007 school year."

ANYWAYS, from all of this, your MIGHT be able to weasle your way into knowing his schedule. And if you schedule your court date on an off date, he probably wont show (especially in summer months). Then you are home FREE (for the most part).

It's a long shot. And even if you do get his schedule he might still show up to court, so have Plan B ready about remorse.
Maybe, "i honestly did not realized that i was driving that fast. I know that is absolutely not an excuse because i do understand what could have gone wrong."

Dress in a tie (duh) and no jewelry (piercings, necklaces, bracelets, or even watch). No suit, bc that is overkill. Just a white button down collar shirt, black tie, and clean khakis with nice shoes. Hair neat, no overkill on hair gel or anything like that. Look sad and breathe heavy. Judges hate confident kids bc they come off as not feeling guilty about speeding. So act like are stressing about this bc you are a good kid and this is a big deal to you.

If you are worried about the car ride to the court house with your parents, just be really quiet in the car and breath heavy. If they hear you breathing heavy and swallowing then they will get the pic that you are stressed and wont saying anything (bc they dont want to stress you out before you go to the judge).

AND YOU CANNOT SPEED ANYMORE. It doesnt matter how cool your parents are, three tickets will put them over the edge. You have to be more careful. I'm sure you know that now, but you seriously have to be super careful dude.

Okay, i have done my duty in helping out

Can you tell i'm a law student????

edit "RECKLESS"
...law student..... not english major... oops

CoMpFrEaK

17-07-2006 01:15:46

Dont forget, harry is a police wink

Dave82

17-07-2006 01:23:40

oh, i didnt know. I dont know the people here. I was just trying to help him out.

hairyferry

17-07-2006 02:34:30

Dave is pretty much right on. The judge has heard every excuse in the book. My post was merely addressing the radar issue and the speedo. Getting your speedo tested is a good idea, but it really depends on how old your car is. Like if it's a 2000 Honda Civic you're prolly not going to find your speedo is off. On the other hand if you're driving an old Pontiac 6000 from 1989, then you're chances are better. But definately be clean shaved in a tie! That's a great idea!

jy3

17-07-2006 07:40:01

never plead guilty. always plea innocent. the court will always bring down the charges to keep from going to court. driving school will help bring it down so if they offer it do it

ajrock2000

17-07-2006 07:41:43

I got pulled over for 85 in a 65 in Maine, I drove up there from massachusetts where I live, and went to court. The cop was a no show, and it was dropped. )

amir89630

17-07-2006 08:20:23

[quote6652fb52d4="Dave82"]Amir, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My good friend is a cop and said that all those "tricks" just piss the judge off. That ligetting your gauge testedli makes it look so obvious you are finding excuses which is the number one thing they hate. All of that "when was the last time the officer's gun was calibrated" crap is worthless. It goes against you in their eyes. Judges look for admission of guilt and sincere remorse. They hate excuses (even if they are legitimate).

Your best bet is to admit youre wrong. My cop friend told me that they let people go who are speeding sometimes 15 m/h, but if they are changing lanes like crazy then they could be speeding 7 miles over the limit and they get pulled over. So go with the idea that there were no other cars around to show that it wasnt a very recklace event. But again, the trick is to introduce this without making it seem like an excuse. I dont know how to do that one.

addressing that link
"'If it looks like you're going to lose, say, 'Your honor, I see that you're very busy here. I will cite CVC 41501 and take traffic school,'" Meyer told me'" ---- NO, DO NOT SAY THIS. If you wanna go this route, towards the end, and only if you are seriously losing, ask, "Is there an educational alternative for me, like traffic school? Maybe i could benefit from that?" Asking questions if good. If you say, "i could benefit from that," it looks like you are litellingli the judge. They dont like the idea that you have suggestions to get you out of the ticket. The more lijudge is all powerful and you are at their mercy and you know nothing and they know/rule it allli attitude you have the better. Have a sad look when you ask and look the judge in the eye when you ask, but at the very END of your sentence (meaning sentence you are speaking) look down to your feet. Swallow when the judge is speaking.

No laughing, talking, smiling, drinking pop, anything before your trial while you are waiting. Take NO chance that the judge sees you happy. Or majistrate.... whoever deals with the underage affairs.

NO "going with the flow".... my friend said they only allow about 6-10 m/h for that excuse, and besides you said no other cars

Explain your case and then when you go to apologize kinda hang your head down a little and have your eyes looking down and swallow alot when youre getting your apology out to make it seem like you are really having difficulty getting it out (bc you feel bad/guilty about it).

DO NOT say stuff like, "Well actually i was going 75."

Say something like, "Your honor, i am not a recklace person and this is not a good representation of who i am."

I think that sounds less fake than other things.

As for your parents.... i dont know. I never had strict parents. I'd imagine that you are gonna have to be extra good for a while to help ease the tension/anger.

You will have to go to court obviously bc you are under 18. But if you were over 18, my friend said it is in MOST cares a bad idea to fight a ticket bc you end up paying court costs. And if the officer does show, then they usually always side with the cop (even if he is wrong). It doesnt look good for the city to have a n officer making bad calls. Judges know the law too well and all the exceptions and ways to twist things.

Daggoth mentioned the idea of finding out what is a good/bad day for the cop. This concept is the best idea bc my friend said that 99% of the time if it is on an off day for the cop, he/she will not go and you win by default. The only time they show up on their off day to court is if the cop has a record of certain things or problems on his files or it is a case that could prove them negligent/at fault of something.
The idea however of asking good/bad day will NOT work though bc my friend said that know what people are doing. And they hate that trick. If the cop finds out you are asking about this he will definately show. So my friend said that they wont answer that question about their schedule; they will give typical answers not given any indication of their schedule or even lie.

Calling up the station will do you no good bc if he is on the road they cant transfer a call to him. But they wont tell you he is out on duty either. They might just say he is unavailable and ask if you have a message. So have your friend call the station and ask if officer ____ is working today bc you were contacting him about a D.A.R.E. program for involvement in your school. For something like they will say yes/no. If no ask, when he is usually in and they'll tell you. They are not suspicious of kids asking about something like that so you'll get an answer. That way you can get an idea of his schedule (if it isnt a rotating).

If your friend does happen to get ahold of him bc he happens to be there when you make the call, just have your friend say, "i looking for ways to get involved in the D.A.R.E. movement" When he says he isnt the officer that does the high school D.A.R.E program act surprised and say, "Oh, i am sorry! Can you tell me who is," to make it seem legitimate. If he IS the high school D.A.R.E. officer (HIGHLY unlikely) then your friend says something, "I was interested in getting DARE poster to hang in the hallways of school for the 2006-2007 school year."

ANYWAYS, from all of this, your MIGHT be able to weasle your way into knowing his schedule. And if you schedule your court date on an off date, he probably wont show (especially in summer months). Then you are home FREE (for the most part).

It's a long shot. And even if you do get his schedule he might still show up to court, so have Plan B ready about remorse.
Maybe, "i honestly did not realized that i was driving that fast. I know that is absolutely not an excuse because i do understand what could have gone wrong."

Dress in a tie (duh) and no jewelry (piercings, necklaces, bracelets, or even watch). No suit, bc that is overkill. Just a white button down collar shirt, black tie, and clean khakis with nice shoes. Hair neat, no overkill on hair gel or anything like that. Look sad and breathe heavy. Judges hate confident kids bc they come off as not feeling guilty about speeding. So act like are stressing about this bc you are a good kid and this is a big deal to you.

If you are worried about the car ride to the court house with your parents, just be really quiet in the car and breath heavy. If they hear you breathing heavy and swallowing then they will get the pic that you are stressed and wont saying anything (bc they dont want to stress you out before you go to the judge).

AND YOU CANNOT SPEED ANYMORE. It doesnt matter how cool your parents are, three tickets will put them over the edge. You have to be more careful. I'm sure you know that now, but you seriously have to be super careful dude.

Okay, i have done my duty in helping out

Can you tell i'm a law student????

edit "RECKLESS"
...law student..... not english major... oops[/quote6652fb52d4]

thanks man, im gonna use all that stuff in court. I'll keep you guys posted.

manOFice

17-07-2006 13:26:36

yeah my dad got clocked going faster than his car was even capable of going, lol..it was funny.

SLOW DOWN!!! If you don't speed you won't get tickets, i learned that after about 4 speeding tickets.

amir89630

17-07-2006 14:38:44

everything turned out cool i guess

i called the number on the back of the ticket, and I asked the lady what to do to get a court date. She asked me if i really wanted to fight the ticket or if I just wanted to keep it off my record; I told her i wanted to keep it off my record, and she said, "don't worry it won't go on your record" we will just keep it on file for a year; and the ticket is only 50$.

Well I told my dad, and he didn't believe me, so he called and found out for himself.

In tennessee, they dont' submit points on your driving record (for minors), instead if you accumulate 3 tickets in a 1 year period, you get ur license suspended, but im not sure for how long exactly.

So i guess Im good, as long as i don't get another ticket. But if i do, im really fucked then.

jy3

17-07-2006 15:39:29

something i failed to mention is this...
calculate how far you drive usually. for me that is 12 miles each way to work.
figure if I go the speed limit, 55, for 10 of those miles (to make things easy) it would take... 10/x = 55/60 = 10.9 minutes.
If I go 70 in that 55 it would take... 10/x=70/60 = 8.57 minutes.
would you want to risk a $140 fine + points + increased insurance premium for a time difference that I could make up by getting lucky with lights?
In NY now the cheapest fine is supposed to be $140 b/c of the huge court cost they tack on there.
just take this into consideration when speeding. does it make sense?

CollidgeGraduit

17-07-2006 16:51:52

[quote00454ec023="jy3"]something i failed to mention is this...
calculate how far you drive usually. for me that is 12 miles each way to work.
figure if I go the speed limit, 55, for 10 of those miles (to make things easy) it would take... 10/x = 55/60 = 10.9 minutes.
If I go 70 in that 55 it would take... 10/x=70/60 = 8.57 minutes.
would you want to risk a $140 fine + points + increased insurance premium for a time difference that I could make up by getting lucky with lights?
In NY now the cheapest fine is supposed to be $140 b/c of the huge court cost they tack on there.
just take this into consideration when speeding. does it make sense?[/quote00454ec023]

Not to mention the risk of hurting yourself, or someone else.

geej86

17-07-2006 17:25:41

In my 4 years of driving i've gotten pulled over once for going 57 in a 35. It was on my 17th birthday though and the cop was like, "this's the best gift you'll get all day" and that was it ).

i think the lesson here is that if you need to speed and your record is clean do it on your birthday

tylerc

19-07-2006 12:09:51

Friend of mine got pulled over going 57 in a 40, but in Indiana you can defer your tickets (may be in all states, not sure), where they don't report it to your insurance company unless you get another ticket within the year or something, then they report both of them.