bmg class action law suit

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42751

jy3

11-07-2006 05:19:14

anyone else hear about this?
http//www.bmgmusic.com/acq/public/index.jhtml;jsessionid=ASL4AAOSEEWVECTI0VPCFEY?acqlinkback=y&_requestid=4754

http//www.bmgmusic.com/stelkcase/?site=stelkcase

junkie06

11-07-2006 05:37:30

didnt have much time to read it but, whats in it for us?

dmorris68

11-07-2006 06:09:11

Cool, I've been a member for over 10 years, but don't think I've bought 40 CD's since fulfilling my commitment. Certainly 20 though, so I should be getting vouchers for 4 CD's at 80% off + free shipping. I can live with it. )

[quotea68d72ed41="junkie06"]didnt have much time to read it but, whats in it for us?[/quotea68d72ed41]

Two or more $3.60 CD's, based on how long you've been a member.

[quotea68d72ed41]If you have not yet fulfilled your commitment under their membership agreement

You will receive a Voucher for two single CDs (excluding sales-restricted products designated as such in BMG’s catalogues and on-line offerings) at 80% off BMG’s regular club price, each free of shipping and handling charges.

If you have fulfilled your commitment under their membership agreement

You will receive a Voucher for three single CDs (excluding sales-restricted products designated as such in BMG’s catalogues and on-line offerings) at 80% off BMG’s regular club price, each free of shipping and handling charges.

If you have fulfilled your commitment under their membership agreement and have been a member for at least five years prior to May 15, 2006 and have purchased at least 20 CDs or cassettes during that time period (in addition to fulfillment) (units received by Class Members without separate charge as part of enrollment or other special promotions do not count towards the aforementioned purchase requirement)

You will receive a Voucher for four single CDs (excluding sales-restricted products designated as such in BMG’s catalogues and on-line offerings) at 80% off BMG’s regular club price, each free of shipping and handling charges.

If you have fulfilled your commitment under their membership agreement and have been a member for at least ten years prior to May 15, 2006 and have purchased at least 40 CDs or cassettes during that time period (in addition to fulfillment) (units received by Class Members without separate charge as part of enrollment or other special promotions do not count towards the aforementioned purchase requirement)

You will receive a Voucher for five single CDs (excluding sales-restricted products designated as such in BMG’s catalogues and on-line offerings) at 80% off BMG’s regular club price, each free of shipping and handling charges.[/quotea68d72ed41]

bballp6699

11-07-2006 06:20:31

When dmorris was your age, albums only costed a nickel...

dmorris68

11-07-2006 06:31:53

[quote0f53aaae70="bballp6699"]When dmorris was your age, albums only costed a nickel...[/quote0f53aaae70]
Albums? We didn't have albums. We used to just have to sing songs to each other, after a long day chasing dinosaurs for dinner. P

Heh, seriously though I do remember buying LP's (that's vinyl for you youngun's) for $3-$4 or so. ;)

cwncool

11-07-2006 06:55:30

[quote04f17a2086="dmorris68"][quote04f17a2086="bballp6699"]When dmorris was your age, albums only costed a nickel...[/quote04f17a2086]
Albums? We didn't have albums. We used to just have to sing songs to each other, after a long day chasing dinosaurs for dinner. P

Heh, seriously though I do remember buying LP's (that's vinyl for you youngun's) for $3-$4 or so. ;)[/quote04f17a2086]
mmmmmmmm. dinosaur.

KnightTrader

11-07-2006 11:11:18

Class action lawsuits happen all the time, The "Class" or the ones who they claim to be representing get nothing. All the money goes to the lawyers. the "Class" gets pennies >.>

brendenipod

11-07-2006 11:35:39

I seem to remember there being a class action against bmg and sony music maybe 3-6 years ago about them inapproriately fixing the price of cds. in that one, you had to have bought like 4 cds from bmg at regular price to get anything though.

im still happy with bmg though.

dmorris68

11-07-2006 11:59:54

[quote2db060bd1e="KnightTrader"]Class action lawsuits happen all the time, The "Class" or the ones who they claim to be representing get nothing. All the money goes to the lawyers. the "Class" gets pennies >.>[/quote2db060bd1e]
Yes, they happen frequently, and I've been a party to several. While the majority of any cash settlement goes to the attorneys and the primary claimaint, the class still gets something (otherwise there would be no point in the class). Granted, that something is sometimes relatively worthless, like a discount coupon on further purchases from the defendant, but it's something.

In this case, you're actually getting something of decent value to most people at least two, and up to five, $3.60 CD's. That's even better than YourMusic.com (coincidentally, a BMG company too).

I've received cold hard cash before from class actions too, several years ago I had a Providian Visa card and they got sued for something that didn't even bother me personally, but since I was part of the class I got a check for over $200.

My insurance company was sued over not covering the depreciation on damaged vehicles, and I got an unexpected check for over $900.

The recent Epson class action is another I'm cashing in on I recently sent off my claim forms for $175 in cash and $140 in credits for Epson's online store.

Wolfeman

11-07-2006 12:08:13

I think I got some free CDs too )

jy3

11-07-2006 15:12:19

[quote6cb6c1f45e="junkie06"]didnt have much time to read it but, whats in it for us?[/quote6cb6c1f45e]

didnt posting take as much time as reading it would have? ;)

anyway, figured some would benefit from this. i have been a member multiple times but not in a continuous string for 10 yrs
free cds are free cds

geej86

11-07-2006 15:37:50

in the previous price fixing lawsuit i made sure to let everyone in my family know, we had 8 checks for like $13.77 show up at our door one day, heh

Jams44

11-07-2006 15:46:05

Woah, it happened in Cook County, right next to Dupage County, MY COUNTY! Anyways, yah, i;ve been in quite a few, one regarding BlockBuster using the term "rental" or something. It was real wierd but I got $75 GiftCard and 10 Free Game Rentals and 10 Free Movie Rentals. It was bitchin; cool considering I was just there to rent Mona Lisa Smile (jk).