Plasma Burn in

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42745

ffactoryxx

10-07-2006 23:58:09

So i have had my Panasonic plasma up and running for a few weeks and been playing ghost recon on it. Now i noticed when i turn off the game and am at the no signal screen, if i get in close, i can notice the ghost recon menu outline. How did it burn in so fast. After i back off a little and sit back from about 1.5ft on i can't see it. I played a movie and cant see it either. Its only in that grayish no signal screen i see it. When there are black bars, or a picture on the screen, I see nothing. So whats the deal and is there a way to rid it or prevent it from getting worse? Btw everything still looks great, i just dont want this to become a huge problem

tjwor

11-07-2006 01:07:07

turn your TV to it now and see if you can still see it, it may be just something that happens for like 1 min after you get off of the game... i'm guessing it won't get much worse, as long as you don't leave it on for hours...

dmorris68

11-07-2006 06:26:33

That's the problem with plasma's (and other TV types, but particularly plasma). Anytime you leave a static image for extended periods of time, you risk image retention. Assuming you haven't just left the game on for extended periods without playing, I'm guessing that the burn-in is happening on a static part of the screen, like the HUD or something, that stays in one place even while actively gaming. Those are always at risk for burn-in, as are the semi-transparent network logos on TV channels.

You can try to display alternating all-white/all-black signals for extended periods. If you don't have a signal source like this, activate the Panasonic's internal screen-saver that moves a wide white bar slowly across the screen. This may reduce or even out the image retention, but with plasma's IR is often permanent.

cwncool

11-07-2006 06:57:30

you still should take precautions , but a lot of the new plasmas are coming with features so they don't burn in as easily as the first lines of plasmas. I just would play video games for a while, or (what I'm sure you love to do...) watch c-span 24/7. D

kdollar

11-07-2006 09:16:20

[quoteceda9f79de="cwncool"]you still should take precautions , but a lot of the new plasmas are coming with features so they don't burn in as easily as the first lines of plasmas. I just would play video games for a while, or (what I'm sure you love to do...) watch c-span 24/7. D[/quoteceda9f79de]

so you can have an old senator burnt into your screen?

Wolfeman

11-07-2006 09:31:47

I get image retention on my Dell LCD Ultrasharp (

dmorris68

11-07-2006 10:08:26

[quote4ffd5c4145="Wolfeman"]I get image retention on my Dell LCD Ultrasharp ([/quote4ffd5c4145]
Image retention on LCD's is quite common, contrary to popular belief. ALL display technologies are susceptible to at least temporary image retention. Fortunately, IR with LCD technologies is seldom permanent and usually wears off in minutes or within an hour. On CRT's and Plasma's, however, it is quite often permanent.

My SXRD will sometimes retain an image for up to 20 minutes after it is turned off or the video signal is removed, but it's not something you notice while actually watching TV.

CoMpFrEaK

11-07-2006 12:50:26

mmm...lets see if i can get a IR of Keira Knightley on my LCD/SXRD

lol

kdollar

11-07-2006 12:51:06

[quote1dae3f3f31="CoMpFrEaK"]mmm...lets see if i can get a IR of Keira Knightley on my LCD/SXRD

lol[/quote1dae3f3f31]

haha see theres a guy who always look on the positive.