HELP! My Macbook's mag safe adapter got wet while plugged in

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42619

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 13:12:31

jkj

KeithA

08-07-2006 13:19:51

I have no firsthand experience, but a quick Google search suggests that maybe the blinking green light isn't that common a problem.

(See http//forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-223128.html[]http//forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-223128.html).

I'd suggest ordering a new adapter.

BTW, what on earth is your avatar?

CoMpFrEaK

08-07-2006 13:22:44

[quote6cb298540f="mistertomlinson"]So, the magsafe adapter was plugged in and something was spilt (I was at work while this happened) on it and the surrounding area. I didn't notice anything with the adapter (though, I wasn't paying attention) and decided to plug it in to my Macbook. I noticed the light on the adapter turned green, which wasn't right, because my Macbook was dead (I was in the process of calibrating the battery and had fully exhausted the power as the procedure goes and only had to charge it), so I immediately unpplugged it. I didn't turn the Macbook on, I didn't smell anything or hear any noises, so I don't think I did any damage... I noticed after unplugging it (though, I'm sure it was doing it before I plugged it in) that the adapter LED was flickering green! Again, it wasn't plugged into the Macbook, but was still blinking green... even after unplugging it from the wall, it continued fllickering for a couple of seconds.

Now, my question What should I do?! The Macbook battery is dead... I don't have an Apple store in town for a replacement adapter (if I decided to tell them it malfunctioned for some unknown reason, though I wouldn't actually do that). I don't think the charger (even completely ruined) could actually damage the computer... I'm pretty sure there is something that governs how much power comes in through the battery at once, so the plug shouldn't be able to ruin the Macbook... ugh! I would much rather spend $80 on a new adapter (which I would have to order online, seeing as how our only Apple reseller in town doesn't carry much of that shit in stock) than $1,700 on a new Macbook... PLEASE HELP!!! If anyone had any knowledge of this kind of thing, please let me know something.[/quote6cb298540f]

I would imagine it could blow out some stuff if the voltage was regulated incorrectly.

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 13:34:32

fcgujgf

CoMpFrEaK

08-07-2006 13:37:22

[quotee5a24cd3b0="mistertomlinson"]My avatar is a picture of my six pack! I sold my iBook on eBay (I don't own a digital camera and had to buy a disposable one) and I had several pictures to blow, so figured, let's document this bad boy!

Secondly, DAMNIT! I've had this Macbbok for less than a week and LOVE it! Now I can't even use it... I've been taking it to work every night. I have found a wireless internet connection from one of the other businesses in the shopping center (I work at a grocery store) and get DSL speeds from the parking lot... it's so sweet! I downloaded a music video on my 15 minute break!

Also, you mentioned if the voltage wasn't properly regulated, it could damage something... that's what i was referring to. I figure that "regulation" occurs from inside the Macbook and not in the charger... I can't imagine the charger being entirely responsible for regulating the voltage into the Macbook. There has to be more...[/quotee5a24cd3b0]

I believe the charger is a voltage transformer. It makes the voltage from the wall (110V) useable for your laptop. Its a box right?

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 13:44:54

fguigyuo

jy3

08-07-2006 13:57:48

i know it is a weekend but...
is mac CS open now? i would try to get answers from them. is this covered under warranty? just have them send u a new one as a swap. "it just stopped working yesterday"

tjwor

08-07-2006 14:09:09

i don't think it will do anything to you rcomputer... I would just use it if it were me, and I would call AppleCare, and they will most likely express mail you a new one within 2 days, and give you a box to send your s back in... but i highly doubt it will hurt your computer...

with ibooks, this was a common problem, for the light to be green all the time...

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 14:22:02

gyifgig

tjwor

08-07-2006 14:27:38

from the times i've sent things in apple doesn't seem to care... as long as they get a charger back I've never seen them charge people... we've sent them in where the entire part that goes to your computer is torn off, and they don't say anything...

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 14:32:46

drtudrtu

gafdpc

08-07-2006 15:04:29

Yea they are really lax about it. Don't even really care if there's a problem. Its cheaper for them to replace it then to examine it.

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 15:09:45

ftygiytfi

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 15:11:58

Ifyuif

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 15:20:56

fyui

tjwor

08-07-2006 16:07:31

does it charge your battery? Or do you not know because you plugged it in and then unplugged it right away. I bet you are overthinking the problem. I'd just plug it in and use it if it works... you should have your new charger by tuesday at the latest...

mistertomlinson

08-07-2006 16:34:55

fyuif

tjwor

08-07-2006 17:04:44

if you already plugged it in i bet it's done all the damage it will..

Plus, I wanna see if i'm correct P haha

naw, do wha tyou feel, no reason to mess up a Macbook pro cause I wanna see if it will or won't D

toiletpaper55

09-07-2006 19:24:15

Ryizan

10-07-2006 17:06:20

Leaving the computer pluged in all night would not damage anything.

water = Not too scary!
Computers don't have built-in umbrellas(sp)...or do they

A few weeks after I came back from evacuating I found an old 333Mhz CRT iMac on the curb. I took it home, pluged it in and it worked perfectly! I go to test the cd drive, click eject, the CD tray pops out and it is WET!!! This computer GOT RAINED ON!! It continued to work perfectly...I later sold it to a friend for $80!!

I would't reccomend throwing your MacBook in the tub but they can take a minor spill.