Wireless VS Wired

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42530

DrkWarlock

06-07-2006 21:07:42

So which type of connection is better? A wireless internet connection or a wired one? (As far as speed goes)

Also, is 54 Mbps good for a wireless and could it be better on a wired connection?

Thanks
-Drk

BD2006BD

06-07-2006 21:14:03

Wired is usually always faster and more dependable. But wireless 54 Mbps is good for internet. You wouldn't even notice if it was faster than that while surfing the web because you won't have a connection that is 54Mbps. Wireless should work good if you can be close enough.

DrkWarlock

06-07-2006 21:17:03

Well as far as online gaming goes...is 54 Mbps over a wireless connection going to significantly hinder gameplay or will I hardly notice a difference compared to a wired connection?

hehehhehe

06-07-2006 21:22:14

No, as long as it's a solid connection that doesn't crap out it won't hinder gameplay.

dmorris68

06-07-2006 21:22:58

Wireless is typically fine for surfing, since latencies are typically a non-issue nor is bandwidth, but I much prefer wired when available. I only use wireless when I have to, or when convenience/mobility is a must. Wireless G bandwidth even under the best of conditions NEVER approaches it's rated 54mbps (more like 1/2 that sustained on a decent connection) but still plenty for stateless internet work. The problems tend to come with latency-sensitive operations like gaming, and with stateful connection sessions like VPN's or long file transfers, since wireless will often drop out and reconnect due to interference or weak spots while mobile, aborting your session.

I wired my entire house with network drops when I built it, and use them whenever I can (even with my laptop if I'm sitting still somewhere). I do have two Access Points, one at each end of the house, for when I must go wireless.

But I know plenty of people who don't abuse a network like I do that get by just fine with wireless alone, so depending on your requirements, it may be all you need.

DrkWarlock

06-07-2006 21:29:23

Alright thanks for the input guys. I guess Ill just connect the ethernet while Im gaming just to be sure.

dmorris68

06-07-2006 21:38:40

[quote19ef668182="DrkWarlock"]Alright thanks for the input guys. I guess Ill just connect the ethernet while Im gaming just to be sure.[/quote19ef668182]
If you have wireless available already, you can still try it. If you have really good signal and reliable equipment, without a lot of 2.4Ghz interference sources like phones and microwaves, you might not notice a difference. My experience is not necessarily going to be the same as yours. ;) But a wired connection where available is virtually guaranteed to be a more reliable and stable connection.

DrkWarlock

06-07-2006 21:48:11

Yea. I mean, I have an open ethernet available right next to where I would be sitting so it wouldnt be too much of a problem so I guess I might as well just be safe and use it.

THen again, I really dont have much or any interefernce so meh...whatever.

Oh and one last thing. Now its only my laptop and my dad's laptop using the wireless internet. However, on the wired network there are over four or five always connected. Idk if this would make a difference considering they are all (both wireless and wired) running from the same cable modem but would bandwith be slightly more available and thus faster on the wireless side or no?

ILoveToys

06-07-2006 21:51:31

dmorris is right...wired is better and much more reliable whenever possible. I ran wire up through my house because my wireless kept going in and out, and I was just sick of it...Since I've been wired...Never had a problem ) I dropped a switch in my room, and I have 2 PCS, my 360, and my good ole Tivo running off of it w/ not problems ) I don't know how I survived w/out high speed internet...

CoMpFrEaK

06-07-2006 21:52:57

[quotefb24966310="dmorris68"][quotefb24966310="DrkWarlock"]Alright thanks for the input guys. I guess Ill just connect the ethernet while Im gaming just to be sure.[/quotefb24966310]
If you have wireless available already, you can still try it. If you have really good signal and reliable equipment, without a lot of 2.4Ghz interference sources like phones and microwaves, you might not notice a difference. My experience is not necessarily going to be the same as yours. ;) But a wired connection where available is virtually guaranteed to be a more reliable and stable connection.[/quotefb24966310]

i agree

I rarely have problems with my wireless connection, its typically pretty stable.

ILoveToys

06-07-2006 21:54:16

[quote029e1523c9="DrkWarlock"]Yea. I mean, I have an open ethernet available right next to where I would be sitting so it wouldnt be too much of a problem so I guess I might as well just be safe and use it.

THen again, I really dont have much or any interefernce so meh...whatever.

Oh and one last thing. Now its only my laptop and my dad's laptop using the wireless internet. However, on the wired network there are over four or five always connected. Idk if this would make a difference considering they are all (both wireless and wired) running from the same cable modem but would bandwith be slightly more available and thus faster on the wireless side or no?[/quote029e1523c9]

If each of your runs to the 4 or 5 computers you have is all the way to the router you will always have more bandwidth on the wire, that is, if you aren't running one long line and switching it 5 times later....Anyway if all you are doing on the wired is browsing the net, you should still be fine as the internet doesn't scratch the speeds that your network is capable of.

Oh yeah, and remember to close Azureus when you want to game online too ;)