Spyware Doctor, check it out!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42454

JKirk

05-07-2006 15:38:41

I recently bought a program to help fix up my dad's laptop that I've been using these past couple days and I admit I really didn't want to spend any money so I downloaded a few programs from www.Download.com. One of them being something I heard good things about, Spybot Search & Destroy. Well I knew I had tons of adware and spyware but when I used this Spybot program, it said I had nothing on my computer? So I searched for another program and I found Spyware Doctor. I used the free trial to determine how many infected files I had and over [bb4cb853d68]700[/bb4cb853d68] files came up. I couldn't believe it! I bought the program using a promotional code and it only cost $20 and now my computer went from 6 pop ups coming up every 10 seconds to zero! I've never seen this as an offer or anything I just figured I'd pass the good word if any of you were curious as to why your computer was getting so many popups.

Here's the link to download the trial and see how many you have (Windows only)

http//www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/300...4-10377263.html[=http//www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/3000-8022_4-10377263.html]http//www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/300...4-10377263.html

If you'd like to buy it go here[=http//www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?item=11719-1&affiliate=20648]here and use this promotional code PCTO-V1K4-WNET

Also, I wanted to clarify that I'm not gaining anything from this or anything, just figured I'd pass on the good word since I had such a good experience. ) How many infected files do you have?

jy3

05-07-2006 15:48:16

yeah strangely spyware doctor was free and then they realized they had a great product and are now charging for it. maybe not that strange...

Darkside

05-07-2006 15:52:04

ad-aware works pretty well and its free.

JKirk

05-07-2006 16:07:57

[quote2fe411adc5="Darkside"]ad-aware works pretty well and its free.[/quote2fe411adc5]

I tried that and SpyBot and they really did nothing. ? Yeah, I don't blame them for charging for this, it's a great program and it lasts a year.

Veek

05-07-2006 16:10:03

I want it.

JordanE

05-07-2006 16:22:22

SpyBot back in its day was amazing, but it hasn't been updated in awhile so alot of the newer shit gets passed it.

dmorris68

05-07-2006 16:29:21

Between SpyBot and Windows Defender, I don't have any spyware, and thus I don't see the need to pay for anything to do it for me.

FWIW, Spy Sweeper is one of the most highly rated "pay" anti-spyware tools, if you must spend money. Sunbelt's CounterSpy is another highly rated one. AdAware started lagging behind SpyBot and Windows AS/Defender awhile ago, so I stopped running it altogether.

Also, I find it hard to believe you had 700 valid "spyware" hits when Spybot found none. Most likely these were over-aggressive cookie hits -- maybe even ALL the cookies you had. Not all cookies are bad -- in fact none are lireallyli bad in a sense of being able to hurt you, they can only track you between sites that share the same cookies (usually via ad banners or web bullets). Spybot does an admirable job finding those tracking cookies from the bit-time droppers like DoubleClick, while ignoring the more benign ones. I don't consider that a flaw, really. What I want detected and eliminated are the BHO's and other such browser-initiated spyware. As for trojans and virii, AVG takes care of me just fine... also free. )

dmorris68

05-07-2006 16:31:10

[quotee80e5c805c="JordanE"]SpyBot back in its day was amazing, but it hasn't been updated in awhile so alot of the newer shit gets passed it.[/quotee80e5c805c]
What do you mean? The spyware definition files are updated quite often, the last update was 7/1. The program itself doesn't really need updates, as the definitions are what drive the behavior. Although I do wish they'd fix the annoying TeaTimer GUI bug, although I've patched it myself to fix the problem in the meantime.

JKirk

05-07-2006 16:52:33

[quotea036d83f1f="dmorris68"]Between SpyBot and Windows Defender, I don't have any spyware, and thus I don't see the need to pay for anything to do it for me.

FWIW, Spy Sweeper is one of the most highly rated "pay" anti-spyware tools, if you must spend money. Sunbelt's CounterSpy is another highly rated one. AdAware started lagging behind SpyBot and Windows AS/Defender awhile ago, so I stopped running it altogether.

Also, I find it hard to believe you had 700 valid "spyware" hits when Spybot found none. Most likely these were over-aggressive cookie hits -- maybe even ALL the cookies you had. Not all cookies are bad -- in fact none are lireallyli bad in a sense of being able to hurt you, they can only track you between sites that share the same cookies (usually via ad banners or web bullets). Spybot does an admirable job finding those tracking cookies from the bit-time droppers like DoubleClick, while ignoring the more benign ones. I don't consider that a flaw, really. What I want detected and eliminated are the BHO's and other such browser-initiated spyware. As for trojans and virii, AVG takes care of me just fine... also free. )[/quotea036d83f1f]

Yes, you are right but only 200 came up as cookies. I'd rather be safe than sorry. The laptop was so bad that I couldn't even go to a site without having to click off 4 other windows and I was just to that point that I could dish out money for it so it's no biggie.

freedesktoppc

05-07-2006 17:09:49

do you know if it can clean winfixer (i think its called), its a really bad spyware shit that has been on my office computer for a while, and I have been to lazy to manually clean it out of the registry.

icy

05-07-2006 18:38:09

spyware doctor is an awsome program. although it tends to bloat the number of items it finds, it still finds a lot.

Stroid

05-07-2006 18:45:58

i still cant seem to remove zlob.downloader of my computer i have used spybot, adaware, avg anitvirus, symatic antivirus, spysweeper, and stopzilla this thing keeps coming back im about to reformat my computer

JKirk

05-07-2006 19:47:49

[quote2650bf2e00="Stroid"]i still cant seem to remove zlob.downloader of my computer i have used spybot, adaware, avg anitvirus, symatic antivirus, spysweeper, and stopzilla this thing keeps coming back im about to reformat my computer[/quote2650bf2e00]

I remember seeing that on my list and Spyware Doctor cleaned it off just fine. As far as the "WinFixer", I'm not sure, Freedesktoppc.

icy

05-07-2006 22:47:55

[quotec14b0c7b70="Stroid"]i still cant seem to remove zlob.downloader of my computer i have used spybot, adaware, avg anitvirus, symatic antivirus, spysweeper, and stopzilla this thing keeps coming back im about to reformat my computer[/quotec14b0c7b70]
Try this

http//www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Spyware_Information/Zlob.Downloader__What_it_is_and_how_to_remove_it.html

Stroid

06-07-2006 09:53:07

[quote443dd35f76="icy"][quote443dd35f76="Stroid"]i still cant seem to remove zlob.downloader of my computer i have used spybot, adaware, avg anitvirus, symatic antivirus, spysweeper, and stopzilla this thing keeps coming back im about to reformat my computer[/quote443dd35f76]
Try this

http//www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Spyware_Information/Zlob.Downloader__What_it_is_and_how_to_remove_it.html[/quote443dd35f76]
Yeah FON gave me that link i just havent had time to try it out yet i will try it later today probably.