Macbook pro problems and wireless questions

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42405

freedesktoppc

04-07-2006 12:51:42

I just opened my MBP, and it is working well other than the cd drive which does not seem to be working. Any cd or dvd i put in, the drive makes noise for about 10 seconds, and then ejects it. Has anyone succesfully had and fixed this problem, or am I going to need to have it serviced. Also, does anyone know if it does need to be serviced, do they do it on the spot, will I have the option of just exchanging it for a new one?

I have two other question about wireless I am planning on having my house wired with ethernet for optimal speed, but I still want to set up wireless so I can browse anywhere. So here are my questions

1. Can anyone recommend a good cheap AP or a router that would be able to do the following Basically, due to security concerns, and potential law suits if any of my files get hacked into, I need to completely isolate the wireless from my home network. I plan on disabling ssid broadcasting, and doing mac address filtering, but if someone used a sniffer to get in, all I want them to be able to get to is my internet. I was thinking that I would have my dsl modem go straight to the AP, and then output that to my wired router, but I am not sure if this will work. Any recommedations?

2. Also, my internet base is in the bottom level of my 4 floor house. Do the add-on antennas actually make a difference? Can anyone recommend a good cheap one?

Admin

04-07-2006 19:16:34

if you are truly serious about security, you should not use wireless at all. if you have to, get something that speaks WPA2. if you really want to segment your home network, you might want to do something like this

[router] --> home network via ethernet
|
\/
linux vpn server
|
\/
wireless AP

then you can connect to the AP wirelessly and with security, then tunnel over the VPN securely to get access to your internal network.

freedesktoppc

04-07-2006 19:31:09

I don't want/need any access to my internal network, and I am not interested in setting up a linux server. If someone really wants to crack into my connection, I don't care, I just want to isolate it from my wired network without getting a second internet connection. Any ideas?

Admin

05-07-2006 10:08:30

what you want to do is definitely possible but i don't think its doable with a $40 consumer router. you might be able to make it happen with custom firmware on a WRT54G-series router - try DDWRT or sveasoft.

freedesktoppc

05-07-2006 11:37:02

thanx- ill look into those.