NYC Trip Advice

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=42281

bballp6699

01-07-2006 19:39:25

I've been living in PA/NJ for the past 14 years, but have never really been to NYC. I'm planning on taking my fiancee there for her birthday. She's been there before, but only on school trips. The plan is to take a bus from Philly to NYC.

Here's my questions
Where is a good hotel to stay where we could walk or take a cheap taxi to pretty much everything we'd want to see in New York?
Could it all be seen in two days or would we be better off staying two nights? What's good to see?
Where's good places to eat?
Where should we get dropped off at?

Keep in mind that I'd want to spend maybe like $500 max.

JKirk

01-07-2006 19:44:05

I went to NYC a few years ago and although I really don't remember specifics since it was a trip with family, I would suggest on staying the two nights if possible. If you fiancee is into dance or theater or anything like that I suggest you go to the Broadway plays because I went to one and I thought it was really nice. (Perfect for a couple if she's into that) Also, if you are taking a bus, I suggest not making eye-contact with the street vendors, especially if you have to be somewhere at a certain time. \

bballp6699

01-07-2006 19:45:16

She's more interested in walking around and seeing the art and such. I'm sure she wouldn't mind seeing a play, but I doubt time and money will permit that...

johnjimjones

01-07-2006 20:11:49

Museum of Modern Art is on West 53rd Street (about 20 blocks from Times Square and also really close to 5th Avenue ;) ) and the Museum of Natural History which I thought was cool which is on 79th Street but that might be too long of a walk. That Guggenhiemer Museum is around but i dunno where.

I'd definitely suggest a Broadway play. I got to see Phantom of the Opera and that was amazing.

GCY

01-07-2006 20:17:07

def. visit Times square at night. Go check out the NYC view at either Rockafella Center(about $12 pre person) or Empire State Building. Breath taking views. Go around 5-7 PM and stay for the night view including the sunset. Check out Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island(also around $12, go early in the morning,or ur be stuck waiting online for 30-60 mins. for the ferry) Central Park, and a bunch of more exciting things to do.

don't take taxi's in Manhattan, waste of money and u'll be stuck in traffic. Ur better off getting lost in NYC's subway system lol

GCY

01-07-2006 20:24:07

[quote290a51d2de="johnjimjones"]Museum of Modern Art is on West 53rd Street (about 20 blocks from Times Square and also really close to 5th Avenue ;) ) and the Museum of Natural History which I thought was cool which is on 79th Street but that might be too long of a walk. That Guggenhiemer Museum is around but i dunno where.

I'd definitely suggest a Broadway play. I got to see Phantom of the Opera and that was amazing.[/quote290a51d2de]
Speaking of museum's, I also recommend Meseum of Sex lol or the Meseum of Wax.

johnjimjones

01-07-2006 20:28:41

They still allow people up the Empire State Building?

Yeah plan on taking the subway in to Grand Central Station. Don't drive, do yourself a favor if you haven't decided that already.

I forgot about the statue of liberty and ellis island, those are swwweet places to go.

bballp6699

01-07-2006 20:28:48

Sounds good. How about a place to stay?

johnjimjones

01-07-2006 20:31:01

My grandma lives 15 min from NYC so [i95dd78e730]I[/i95dd78e730] stay there..... lol

It can get ungodly expensive staying in NYC. Try to find something on the outer parts of the city and it'll be cheaper.

bballp6699

01-07-2006 20:36:12

We saw some that weren't too bad. How about an alright (safe) area?

freedesktoppc

01-07-2006 20:39:08

try a place in fort lee, New Jersey, $1 bus to the city, takes no more than 10 minutes with traffic, less than 5 without. Of course this takes you to the GWB bus terminal, and there is probably nothing of interest to you around there, so you would need to take the A train which is inside the building down to 59th, 42, or 34th (or maybe 125th if you wanna see harlem). The train costs $2 per person, and itll get you downtown in less than 30 mins. I recommend the $7 one day unlimited pass, will get you anywhere in the city. From what you are saying, you probably wanna see times square(and the rest of midtown area), central park, soho, village(east and west), chinatown, maybe some other cultural places depending on your interests or heritage. Also try TKTS (half price tickets) if you wanna see a broadway show. If you are into baseball, you can easily get dirt cheap tickets for the yankees or mets (even cheaper) on ebay, and they are both easily accessible by public transportation.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

edit also, there are plenty of off-broadway, or off-off-broadway shows which are very good, and cost $25 or less. Try checking the NY Times entertainment section before you go to see what they recommend.

johnjimjones

01-07-2006 20:40:53

whoa whoa whoa......don't suggest going to a mets game....lol

bballp6699

01-07-2006 20:42:39

Fuck the Mets or the Yankees. ;)

I don't 100% understand what you said, but if I can piece together what I do understand I'll check it out.

Find a hotel in Fort Lee, take a $1 bus to the city. End up and GWB terminal, take a train ($4 for two) downtown? What's the $7 unlimited pass for?

freedesktoppc

01-07-2006 20:42:47

[quote8dd24083da="johnjimjones"]whoa whoa whoa......don't suggest going to a mets game....lol[/quote8dd24083da]

hey, theyre cheap. cheap is good.

freedesktoppc

01-07-2006 20:44:17

[quote38333f90cc="bballp6699"]Fuck the Mets or the Yankees. ;)

I don't 100% understand what you said, but if I can piece together what I do understand I'll check it out.

Find a hotel in Fort Lee, take a $1 bus to the city. End up and GWB terminal, take a train ($4 for two) downtown? What's the $7 unlimited pass for?[/quote38333f90cc]

$7 unlimited is so you can take the train unlimited times during the day. If you don't get one of these, you'll spend hours walking or get raped by taxi fees.

Anything else need clarification?

bballp6699

01-07-2006 20:47:59

To be honest, I'm not sure I understand how big New York is. So I wasn't understanding why I'd need a train pass. I think I'm gonna need a good map of New York to plan things out.

Thanks.

somethinggarlic

01-07-2006 20:50:58

It's big. Walking is gonna suck.

freedesktoppc

01-07-2006 20:51:46

Assuming you wanted to get from times sq to the village it would be about 50-60 blocks, through parts you do not want to really be walking through. $7 is well worth it, but you may end up wasting a lot of time figuring subways out, at least it does not include walking. You should get printouts from hopstop.com before you leave to save yourself a little confusion on the subways.

bballp6699

01-07-2006 20:53:14

Would you happen to know how late the bus and train back to Fort Lee run? We'd probably want to be around for a while. Are these subways alright at night?

I know I sound like a big pussy, but I don't need to get mugged TSJ style... ;)

Kidd

01-07-2006 20:54:21

get an unlimited metro card

def have ur train end up in grand central walk down lexington u will end up in times square keep going down in the 20's ur in chinatown/ close to wall st

the city is so small but so big

freedesktoppc

01-07-2006 21:06:02

the busses from what I understand are 24 hrs. You can take an official one, but I personally take the spanish bus, also known as the shuttle, express bus, spic bus, and any other number of names. Everyone knows about them, and you will have no problem finding it. I guess as long as the hispanics are not on strike again one of the days you are there, you should not have a problem.

jy3

01-07-2006 21:08:21

u may want to consider just taking a train from philly to nyc. nj transit...not a bad trip...buses suck

bballp6699

01-07-2006 21:15:38

Well, I talked to the misses about it and we were thinking of driving up on a Thursday and leave here at about 11. We'd get to that Fort Lee place at like 1pm, which is check-in time. We check in and grab a lunch and then head over. Walk around for a while, maybe catch a play, do some romantic nonsense, blah blah blah, and then head back to the hotel.

Then the next day we check out and head back to see the things we missed, then later on about 9ish, we take a bus back to our car in Jersey and drive home...

[quote90c55cf41e="jy3"]u may want to consider just taking a train from philly to nyc. nj transit...not a bad trip...buses suck[/quote90c55cf41e]

Well we wanted to stay a night, and if staying at the suggested place is the most economical, then we'll have to drive.

jy3

01-07-2006 21:37:51

but u may be able to do everything on mass transit. is there a nj transit stop in fort lee?
train to fort lee or near it.
bus to nyc
bus back
train back

GCY

01-07-2006 21:49:34

[quote735af57b16="bballp6699"]Well, I talked to the misses about it and we were thinking of driving up on a Thursday and leave here at about 11. We'd get to that Fort Lee place at like 1pm, which is check-in time. We check in and grab a lunch and then head over. Walk around for a while, maybe catch a play, do some romantic nonsense, blah blah blah, and then head back to the hotel.

Then the next day we check out and head back to see the things we missed, then later on about 9ish, we take a bus back to our car in Jersey and drive home...

[quote735af57b16="jy3"]u may want to consider just taking a train from philly to nyc. nj transit...not a bad trip...buses suck[/quote735af57b16]

Well we wanted to stay a night, and if staying at the suggested place is the most economical, then we'll have to drive.[/quote735af57b16]
I don't think u could find a cheap hotel in manhattan, def. not this time around. Cheapest is probably around the $100ish pre night.

bballp6699

01-07-2006 21:59:13

Well someone suggested a hotel in Manhattan that's about $89 for a shared bathroom and $120 for a enclosed bathroom. We haven't decided between the two, but that's probably where we're going to end up. How is Manhattan at night? My girl is turning 21 and she wants to go to a bar or something at night. Personally I don't give a fuck about the hotel or the bar, but you know women.

Kidd

01-07-2006 22:16:39

manhattan is amazing at night people still walking around at 3-5 am.

bars are plentiful.

hit the clubs man!

GCY

01-07-2006 22:26:22

[quotef2b640f040="Kidd"]manhattan is amazing at night people still walking around at 3-5 am.

bars are plentiful.

hit the clubs man![/quotef2b640f040]
amen toast

UberVash

01-07-2006 22:31:54

Five minutes from NYC. wink

A Do NOT get a shared bathroom. EVER.
B Do NOT go to Times Square. EVER.
C Find a hotel not in the city. Find one maybe in Nassau, Westchester, or someplace near.
D There are more bars and clubs than you can shake a stick at in Manhattan.
E See a Broadway show.
F Take the subway.
G Instead of going to a restaurant for lunch, have a picnic in Central Park. Go to one of the 40,000,000,000 delis in NYC (You can go to the Hello Deli if you like Letterman. You can also just get a "dirty water hot dog" if you're a little brave. lol )
H MoMA, Museum of Natural History, New York Hall of Science, Coney Island Aquarium (DO NOT GO IN ASTROLAND.), The Cloisters, Grant's Tomb, Museum of Jewish Heritage, the Intrepid. Those are some places to go.

johnjimjones

01-07-2006 22:44:27

[quote7563ecb576="UberVash"]Five minutes from NYC. wink

A Do NOT get a shared bathroom. EVER.
B Do NOT go to Times Square. EVER.
C Find a hotel not in the city. Find one maybe in Nassau, Westchester, or someplace near.
D There are more bars and clubs than you can shake a stick at in Manhattan.
E See a Broadway show.
F Take the subway.
G Instead of going to a restaurant for lunch, have a picnic in Central Park. Go to one of the 40,000,000,000 delis in NYC (You can go to the Hello Deli if you like Letterman. You can also just get a "dirty water hot dog" if you're a little brave. lol )
H MoMA, Museum of Natural History, New York Hall of Science, Coney Island Aquarium (DO NOT GO IN ASTROLAND.), The Cloisters, Grant's Tomb, Museum of Jewish Heritage, the Intrepid. Those are some places to go.[/quote7563ecb576]

umm what's wrong with Times Square?

bballp6699

01-07-2006 22:53:33

Yeah, what's wrong with Time Square, Astroland, or a hotel in the city like I mentioned earlier?

BTW, I have no idea what the fuck Astroland is anyways...

UberVash

02-07-2006 00:32:59

[quotee20befe83b="bballp6699"]Yeah, what's wrong with Time Square, Astroland, or a hotel in the city like I mentioned earlier?

BTW, I have no idea what the fuck Astroland is anyways...[/quotee20befe83b]

Time Square is such a tourist location. Coming from a guy who has been to Time Square during tourist season.

Do you really want to share a bathroom?

And Astroland is the place with the Cyclone. Not the safest area in the city.

freedesktoppc

02-07-2006 07:02:30

Astroland is in brooklyn, not really much else there other than the aquarium.

bballp6699

02-07-2006 07:39:01

[quote34a66ffa1c="UberVash"][quote34a66ffa1c="bballp6699"]Yeah, what's wrong with Time Square, Astroland, or a hotel in the city like I mentioned earlier?

BTW, I have no idea what the fuck Astroland is anyways...[/quote34a66ffa1c]

Time Square is such a tourist location. Coming from a guy who has been to Time Square during tourist season.

And Astroland is the place with the Cyclone. Not the safest area in the city.[/quote34a66ffa1c]

Yeah, we've never been to New York though, so I wouldn't mind just passing through Time Square for a photo or two...

Why did you say to get a hotel outside of the city. What about that one I was talking about that's pretty nice and only $120 a night.

hrdfarkr

02-07-2006 09:44:32

Most of what you need to know has been said already, as far as the bars, well...go downtown and hit the famous (sorta lame but makes a good story for your girl)bars like Coyote Ugly, Hogs and Heifers, CBGB's. It's a touristy move, but how many of her friends can say they have been to CBGB's? (CBGB's btw is about the size of your closet and usually has strange no name acts on stage, but its more of a visit place then entertainment place)

As far as restaurants, there is a hidden Italian place I recommend to anyone going into Manhattan. It's a small restaurant in the basement of a brownstone, but it has its own indoor bocci court and the food is homemade, and amazing, Il Vagabondo's. It's on 62nd and 1st.

Things I didn't see anyone else mention...shockingly I didn't see a lot of Central Park fun...like the Museum of Natural History, the central park zoo....go see the polar bears, I used to visit them on lunch break about twice a week. Just walking through the park during the day is an adventure, there are plenty of street performers, puppeteers etc all looking to give you a quick laugh as you walk around. As you leave Central Park on the south end, hit FAO Schwartz and play with a million toys in a giant toy store. There's also Shakespearre in the park if you are into that.

Silly things to remember, don't take you money out and flash it around, keep several stashes of cash on you, singles in one pocket, larger bills in another...maybe a spare twenty hidden on you someplace just in case you do get mugged or pocket picked, I know it sounds corny, but think of whaty a dork you will look like if you get pinched and then you have to walk 60 blocks. Avoid carrying alot of loose crap, cameras mp3 players etc. Stick all that crap in a backpack or messenger bag and wear it, don't carry in your hand. If someone wants to take it quick, it's not going to be easy to rip it off over your head. NYC isn't as dangerous as this just sounded, but...if you look like an easy mark...you are one.

Have fun, its a great wayt to spend a couple of days.

johnjimjones

02-07-2006 09:48:19

FAO Schwartz will bring the kid in anyone out.

Averagejoe1039

02-07-2006 09:59:38

[quote1aee1ace4a="johnjimjones"]FAO Schwartz will bring the kid in anyone out.[/quote1aee1ace4a]

liAveragejoe1039 remembers the piano scene from [b1aee1ace4a][i1aee1ace4a]Big[/i1aee1ace4a][/b1aee1ace4a].li

hehehhehe

02-07-2006 10:25:08

[quoteeea363e074="bballp6699"][quoteeea363e074="UberVash"]

And Astroland is the place with the Cyclone. Not the safest area in the city.[/quoteeea363e074]

Yeah, we've never been to New York though, so I wouldn't mind just passing through Time Square for a photo or two...

Why did you say to get a hotel outside of the city. What about that one I was talking about that's pretty nice and only $120 a night.[/quoteeea363e074]
He also said to stay in Nassau or Westchester to someone coming from NJ/PA so I wouldn't worry about what he says too much... Times Square, although touristy, should be visited just to take in the lights and noise.

Astroland is Coney Island, although it's a bit trashy, it's also a fun place to see and the Cyclone is a fun ride. However, it takes a while to get there (a lot of subway stops) so you probably won't have time for it.

Admin

02-07-2006 10:36:13

go see avenue Q on broadway. great date show. you really can't go wrong, no matter what you're doing or what time it is, as long as you're with someone you like.

Godrockdj

02-07-2006 10:48:49

I don't know if the missus is into fashionable accessories, but being the thrifty freebie guy you are you might want to consider going to Chinatown. There are streets full of 'imitation' shops for those hundred dollar purses, accessories, etc there. We plan on taking a girls trip there pretty soon just to walk around that area and shop for some look-alikes.

GCY

02-07-2006 12:17:17

[quoteb1f13eec0c="Godrockdj"]I don't know if the missus is into fashionable accessories, but being the thrifty freebie guy you are you might want to consider going to Chinatown. There are streets full of 'imitation' shops for those hundred dollar purses, accessories, etc there. We plan on taking a girls trip there pretty soon just to walk around that area and shop for some look-alikes.[/quoteb1f13eec0c]
na...Chinatown's man dirty and smelly. I would stay away if I were u.

freedesktoppc

02-07-2006 14:04:52

[quote51ff778a0d="GCY"][quote51ff778a0d="Godrockdj"]I don't know if the missus is into fashionable accessories, but being the thrifty freebie guy you are you might want to consider going to Chinatown. There are streets full of 'imitation' shops for those hundred dollar purses, accessories, etc there. We plan on taking a girls trip there pretty soon just to walk around that area and shop for some look-alikes.[/quote51ff778a0d]
na...Chinatown's man dirty and smelly. I would stay away if I were u.[/quote51ff778a0d]
Unless you are of chinese heritage, or you want a particular knock off, it smells like shit down there, especially during the summer.

good2speed

02-07-2006 14:27:50

get a gun and dont go to the bronx or brooklyn at night

bballp6699

02-07-2006 15:17:33

[quote3594763bb1="Admin"]go see avenue Q on broadway. great date show. you really can't go wrong, no matter what you're doing or what time it is, as long as you're with someone you like.[/quote3594763bb1]

I read up on this now and it says Gary Coleman is in it? That's almost just begging me to go. What's with all the puppets on the main page though? I want to see Phantom again. I saw it once before on Broadway. It's a little pricey though...

I wasn't really interested in China town. We have one in Philly and that one is also pretty dirty.

I was going to just bring my credit card in wallet. That's about all I use, but now that it was mentioned, I guess I should some bring cash.

Godrock - The last thing she needs it to go shopping in New York for clothes... ;)

Averagejoe1039

02-07-2006 15:28:52

[quote2594aabb07="bballp6699"][quote2594aabb07="Admin"]go see avenue Q on broadway. great date show. you really can't go wrong, no matter what you're doing or what time it is, as long as you're with someone you like.[/quote2594aabb07]

I read up on this now and it says Gary Coleman is in it? That's almost just begging me to go. What's with all the puppets on the main page though? I want to see Phantom again. I saw it once before on Broadway. It's a little pricey though...

I wasn't really interested in China town. We have one in Philly and that one is also pretty dirty.

I was going to just bring my credit card in wallet. That's about all I use, but now that it was mentioned, I guess I should some bring cash.

Godrock - The last thing she needs it to go shopping in [b2594aabb07]New York for clothes[/b2594aabb07]... ;)[/quote2594aabb07]

Why else go to NY other than to get "prepped" up? All the designer clothing people are there.....That would be awesome.

Tholek

02-07-2006 16:13:27

[quote1492bd548f="freedesktoppc"]the busses from what I understand are 24 hrs. You can take an official one, but I personally take the spanish bus, also known as the shuttle, express bus, spic bus, and any other number of names. Everyone knows about them, and you will have no problem finding it. I guess as long as the hispanics are not on strike again one of the days you are there, you should not have a problem.[/quote1492bd548f]

Huh?

Express buses are around $5, and really meant for commuters who make a little more than those who take the subway. ;)

Many NYC buses are 24 hours, and many are NOT.

The label of "The city that never sleeps" is a bit of a fallacy in that regard.

Aside from taxi's, the only transportation that can technically be said to be 24 hours is the subway, but that's gonna be every 45 minutes to an hour overnight, excluding track work, and then the particular line may not be running at all. )

If you have a wi-fi PDA, or a laptop, it's a good idea to review www.mta.info for maps and schedules. You can also hit ant train station for a free subway map, and a bus map for that borough.

[quote1492bd548f="Kidd"]manhattan is amazing at night people still walking around at 3-5 am.[/quote1492bd548f]

Especially above the 90's. ;)

[quote1492bd548f="UberVash"]B Do NOT go to Times Square. EVER.[/quote1492bd548f]

Well, I'd say it's fine, but keep all belongings close to your body. Wallets in inside pockets of jacket, backpacks with zippers locked, hands on handbags etc. Also NEVER wear and electronics or cameras on the outside where it can be grabbed at. (Imagine Japanese tourists wearing cameras on their necks)

You'll notice large crowds blocking some of the sidewalks in TS. DON"T make your way through, go around. Even if you have to step into the gutter (keep an eye out for traffic). You may think it dangerous, but it's less risky, believe me.

[quote1492bd548f="UberVash"][quote1492bd548f="bballp6699"]Yeah, what's wrong with Time Square, Astroland, or a hotel in the city like I mentioned earlier?

BTW, I have no idea what the fuck Astroland is anyways...[/quote1492bd548f]

And Astroland is the place with the Cyclone. Not the safest area in the city.[/quote1492bd548f]

To say the least. If you are gonna make it down to that area, the Aquarium and Nathan's are the only reason to go, and unless you're staying for a month and run out of places to go, I'd pass on those.

I guess that's about it. Most other recommendations I'd make have been said already. )

http/" alt=""/img136.imageshack.us/img="136/8038/boroughs4vf.gif[" alt=""/img1492bd548f]

lol

freedesktoppc

02-07-2006 16:15:45

A lot of places in NYC are cash only. So basically, unless all you go to is like pretty established places, you will need cash.

Tholek

02-07-2006 16:18:45

Well, cash in hand is also a risk. I'd just say be prepared to use ATMs.

freedesktoppc

02-07-2006 16:31:49

Lets just say I always carry around 150+ in cash in not the best neighborhoods, and nobody has said anything to me or tried to rob me. And lets just say I am not the biggest or strongest person around. Just don't be stupid, and nothing will happpen to you.

One thing I would recommend though is that your girlfriend not bring her pocketbook around with her, as I assume those are more prone to being snatched.

Tholek

02-07-2006 16:52:24

[quotea6842df243="freedesktoppc"]Lets just say I always carry around 150+ in cash in not the best neighborhoods, and nobody has said anything to me or tried to rob me. And lets just say I am not the biggest or strongest person around. Just don't be stupid, and nothing will happpen to you.

One thing I would recommend though is that your girlfriend not bring her pocketbook around with her, as I assume those are more prone to being snatched.[/quotea6842df243]

Well, if you live there, then you probably don't look like a tourist. That's the difference.

bballp6699

02-07-2006 17:06:36

Yeah, I'd rather just keep hitting atms. If the food is popular enough they should have a credit card machine anyways.

Tholek

02-07-2006 17:31:40

Fixed that image... ;)

freedesktoppc

02-07-2006 18:44:33

[quote21302173d0="Tholek"][quote21302173d0="freedesktoppc"]the busses from what I understand are 24 hrs. You can take an official one, but I personally take the spanish bus, also known as the shuttle, express bus, spic bus, and any other number of names. Everyone knows about them, and you will have no problem finding it. I guess as long as the hispanics are not on strike again one of the days you are there, you should not have a problem.[/quote21302173d0]

Huh?

Express buses are around $5, and really meant for commuters who make a little more than those who take the subway. ;)

Aside from taxi's, the only transportation that can technically be said to be 24 hours is the subway, but that's gonna be every 45 minutes to an hour overnight, excluding track work, and then the particular line may not be running at all. )

If you have a wi-fi PDA, or a laptop, it's a good idea to review www.mta.info for maps and schedules. You can also hit ant train station for a free subway map, and a bus map for that borough.

[quote21302173d0="Kidd"]manhattan is amazing at night people still walking around at 3-5 am.[/quote21302173d0]

[quote21302173d0="UberVash"]B Do NOT go to Times Square. EVER.[/quote21302173d0]

Well, I'd say it's fine, but keep all belongings close to your body. Wallets in inside pockets of jacket, backpacks with zippers locked, hands on handbags etc. Also NEVER wear and electronics or cameras on the outside where it can be grabbed at. (Imagine Japanese tourists wearing cameras on their necks)

You'll notice large crowds blocking some of the sidewalks in TS. DON"T make your way through, go around. Even if you have to step into the gutter (keep an eye out for traffic). You may think it dangerous, but it's less risky, believe me.

[quote21302173d0="UberVash"][quote21302173d0="bballp6699"]Yeah, what's wrong with Time Square, Astroland, or a hotel in the city like I mentioned earlier?

BTW, I have no idea what the fuck Astroland is anyways...[/quote21302173d0]

And Astroland is the place with the Cyclone. Not the safest area in the city.[/quote21302173d0]

To say the least. If you are gonna make it down to that area, the Aquarium and Nathan's are the only reason to go, and unless you're staying for a month and run out of places to go, I'd pass on those.

I guess that's about it. Most other recommendations I'd make have been said already. )

http/" alt=""/img136.imageshack.us/img="136/8038/boroughs4vf.gif[" alt=""/img21302173d0]

lol[/quote21302173d0]
I was talking about the busses back to fort lee.

UberVash

02-07-2006 20:29:34

[quote7a1f1b0519="Tholek"][quote7a1f1b0519="freedesktoppc"]the busses from what I understand are 24 hrs. You can take an official one, but I personally take the spanish bus, also known as the shuttle, express bus, spic bus, and any other number of names. Everyone knows about them, and you will have no problem finding it. I guess as long as the hispanics are not on strike again one of the days you are there, you should not have a problem.[/quote7a1f1b0519]

Huh?

[quote7a1f1b0519="Kidd"]manhattan is amazing at night people still walking around at 3-5 am.[/quote7a1f1b0519]

[quote7a1f1b0519="UberVash"]B Do NOT go to Times Square. EVER.[/quote7a1f1b0519]

[quote7a1f1b0519="UberVash"][quote7a1f1b0519="bballp6699"]Yeah, what's wrong with Time Square, Astroland, or a hotel in the city like I mentioned earlier?

BTW, I have no idea what the fuck Astroland is anyways...[/quote7a1f1b0519]

And Astroland is the place with the Cyclone. Not the safest area in the city.[/quote7a1f1b0519]

http/" alt=""/img136.imageshack.us/img="136/8038/boroughs4vf.gif[" alt=""/img7a1f1b0519]

lol[/quote7a1f1b0519]

Where's Staten Island in that map? P The borough that no one cares about. P cry

bballp6699

02-07-2006 20:46:07

I'm actually planning a pretty good trip just out of the advice in this thread...

How about any late night bars or clubs. Looking for a nice bar, but not one I have to wear a suit to. Not looking for a bar for a bunch of drunk college kids. More like something nice and I guess classy, but not over the top classy. For the clubs, we're not into like crazy packed clubs, just somewhere to dance. I've never taken her dancing in 4 years, so I thought I might as well knock all this shit out in one shot... ;)

I'm keeping in mind the ones hr posted (Coyote Ugly, Hogs and Heifers, CBGB's), just looking for some other possible ideas.

Tholek

03-07-2006 04:20:18

[quote64b872518f="freedesktoppc"]I was talking about the busses back to fort lee.[/quote64b872518f]

Ah.

[quote64b872518f="UberVash"][quote64b872518f="Tholek"]http/" alt=""/img136.imageshack.us/img="136/8038/boroughs4vf.gif[" alt=""/img64b872518f]

lol[/quote64b872518f]

Where's Staten Island in that map? P The borough that no one cares about. P cry[/quote64b872518f]

C'mon, it's practically Jersey. ;)

Admin

03-07-2006 05:55:35

there are puppets on the website because the show is largely puppets. there are people as well - they all interact. it sounds corny as shit but it's really well done.

cwncool

03-07-2006 06:22:44

[quote7172c9bbb9="johnjimjones"]FAO Schwartz will bring the kid in anyone out.[/quote7172c9bbb9]
i went there. it was okay, and actually sort of overpriced. if you like toys, go to the Toys R Us.(i've never been there but my friend did). I think, now, it's bigger than FAO Schwarz (there is no "t" in it) and it has a ferris wheel )

kposse77

03-07-2006 07:51:27

Other things to do/eat while in the city

- I've heard the Staten Island ferry is supposed to be a nice ride at night (I think it's supposed to be free).

- Walking the Brooklyn Bridge. I've only done it once, during the blackout, but the views were pretty awesome.

Obviously there's any kind of food you can want all over the place, but if you want a good burger for cheap, then you have two choices in my book Corner Bistro in the Village or the secret Burger Joint in Parker Meridian hotel on 57th St.

As far as Times Square, I work in that area and it is always crowded. If you've never been there, it's worth a visit, but expect crowded sidewalks and tons of street vendors and performers selling all kinds of shit. Also, try not to venture past 8th ave in the Port Authority area around 40th-42nd street. Hell Kitchen also has a lot of nice ethnic restaurants on 9th ave in the 50s.

Rich

cstheman

03-07-2006 08:55:19

I went to NYC a month ago and stayed at the edison hotel; its right in the heart of times square and really nice and a good bargain. Yes, NYC is a gigantic city, smushed up in a small area. I went to see the Yankees in the Bronx and the Mets in Queens, man what a rivalry!!! I went to wall street and that was nice I also went to lower manhattan ( where WTC once stood). The NYC clubs are nice too and coney island was also fun. I also went to the world famous Katz's deli; nice cheesecake and beef brisket. Long island is nice too with a lot of beaches. 8) 8)

bballp6699

03-07-2006 08:57:18

What is there to do in Coney Island. When the Warriors were there it looked kind of shitty... ;)

chillywilly

03-07-2006 09:12:04

Ok. From my trip there 6 years ago

Times Square is great. Don't miss it, but don't stay for hours. It's fun seeing all of the people. The street artists are fun to watch and even buy a few things from, if you know how to bargain.

MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) is also great and cheap.

You should get a City Pass. I think they are $40, but it gets you into a lot of things like Empire State Bldg, MoMA and other places.

Statue Of Libery if you have time.

Unlimted MTA pass to take the subway. It's worth it. You still walk a good amount, but it gets you places faster.

Central Park this time of year is nice.

If the bronze globe from the WTC is still in Battery Park, you should check that out, if you are into seeing something from the WTC.

Coney Island is great. Nice beaches and fun to hang out for a few hours.

Delis are the shit.... you have to have try at least one.

The stores around Empire State Bldg are fun to check out... Macy's, FAO, Bloomingdales... it's fun for about an hour or so.

One of these days, I plan on going back....

Averagejoe1039

03-07-2006 09:18:41

I want to go so bad, I think that would be so much fun.

kposse77

03-07-2006 09:34:06

[quote27a26d24d6="bballp6699"]What is there to do in Coney Island. When the Warriors were there it looked kind of shitty... ;)[/quote27a26d24d6]

The Cyclones (Mets Single A Ballteam) at Keyspan Park. It's actually pretty cool because you can get great seats anywhere in the stadium and it's pretty cheap. Also, definately hit the Nathan's.

bballp6699

03-07-2006 18:05:30

We're looking at some day passes and can't really decide. Are the following worth the price. Any other suggestions?

www.newyorkpass.com
3 Day Tour Pass[=http//info.priceline.com/Extras/attractions_tickets/trip_extras_3Day_Super_Saver_Combo_1_SIC.2625SSC.htm#info]3 Day Tour Pass
www.citypass.com/city/ny.html

freedesktoppc

03-07-2006 19:26:15

[quote9aeca73ec6="bballp6699"]We're looking at some day passes and can't really decide. Are the following worth the price. Any other suggestions?

www.newyorkpass.com
3 Day Tour Pass[=http//info.priceline.com/Extras/attractions_tickets/trip_extras_3Day_Super_Saver_Combo_1_SIC.2625SSC.htm#info]3 Day Tour Pass
www.citypass.com/city/ny.html[/quote9aeca73ec6]

The NY pass looks awesome if you can really take advantage of it. I don't know how much of that stuff is realistic in 1 day though.

bballp6699

03-07-2006 19:52:03

We were looking at maybe a two day, but that with the price of the hotel is bringing me up towards $350 already.

There's really only about 10 things from the pass we want to do, but those things probably take time. There's a couple zoos and an aquirium on there my girl will probably want to check out. We also want to do the Hard Rock Cafe, SOL, and the Empire State Building. I want to do a tour of MSG, but since it's her birthday, we'll see if we have time...

Oh yeah, I want to get in on the lazer tag as well, but I guess that's bottom of the list too.

We're thinking three days, two nights. First night check things out from the pass, see how we want to attack it and just get a feel of New York. Second day we do the pass, and third day we check out just regular touristy things.

freedesktoppc

04-07-2006 06:04:10

I don't recommend the pass for just one night, you will probably only be able to get 2-3 things done, and you are better off just paying for them. Also, AAA gets you discounts on everything if you have it, maybe even the pass itself.

bballp6699

04-07-2006 07:44:05

I do have AAA, but I didn't know you could get discounts with it. Where could I look at that? I went to their main site, but it just says call them for recommendations...

freedesktoppc

04-07-2006 09:12:45

You would have to call up each attraction individually and ask if they have AAA discount. AAA gets you discounts on everything, hotels, car rentals, attractions, even places like lenscrafters. Not just like $5 off either, really significant discounts.

chillywilly

05-07-2006 09:24:56

[quotee014da0caf="bballp6699"]We're thinking three days, two nights. First night check things out from the pass, see how we want to attack it and just get a feel of New York. Second day we do the pass, and third day we check out just regular touristy things.[/quotee014da0caf]
That's not a lot of time. You could do a few things with the pass, but if you are going to use the subway, I suggest you get a map right when you get there (or go online and download one http//www.mta.nyc.ny.us/ ) to map out where you need to go.

bballp6699

05-07-2006 09:33:48

Yeah, everyone keeps saying it's not a lot of time. We really only wanted to do the Statue Of Liberty, Empire state Building, and a bunch of other smaller things on the list. Is that alone cramming it?

freedesktoppc

05-07-2006 09:48:46

use hopstop.com, it is like the mapquest of subways.

chillywilly

05-07-2006 10:22:40

[quoteb86377a5df="bballp6699"]Yeah, everyone keeps saying it's not a lot of time. We really only wanted to do the Statue Of Liberty, Empire state Building, and a bunch of other smaller things on the list. Is that alone cramming it?[/quoteb86377a5df]
You should be able to do most of those things in one day, but travel time depends on getting onto the right subway and off at the right stop, avoiding a lot of walking time. The Empire State Bldg and SOL are quite a ways from each other, unless you take into the subway account.

Also, getting to the SOL takes some time as well.

But I think it can be done in a day.

freedesktoppc

05-07-2006 11:36:23

The statue of liberty is not really part of the city (technically its actually in NJ), if you want to do it, you should try and make it onto the first boat out there, otherwise it'll prob end up taking a good portion of your day.

cwncool

05-07-2006 12:41:05

[quotede27b86d8a="freedesktoppc"]The statue of liberty is not really part of the city (technically its actually in NJ), if you want to do it, you should try and make it onto the first boat out there, otherwise it'll prob end up taking a good portion of your day.[/quotede27b86d8a]
yeah, we were there a month or so ago and the wait time for the Ellis Island ferry was 4 hours I think....We just ended up taking the Statten Island ferry and just taking pictures from the boat. It was only a wait time of 10-15 minutes compared to 4 hours....

Tholek

05-07-2006 18:08:03

[quote108c8b064e="freedesktoppc"]The statue of liberty is not really part of the city ([b108c8b064e]technically its actually in NJ[/b108c8b064e]), if you want to do it, you should try and make it onto the first boat out there, otherwise it'll prob end up taking a good portion of your day.[/quote108c8b064e]

Wrong.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Island

They can have Staten Island if they want, but New York keeps Liberty. ;)

freedesktoppc

05-07-2006 18:25:43

1. wikipedia means shit- anyone can write anything
2. It is technichally NJ property, but some kind of a deal was worked out a few years ago.

Tholek

05-07-2006 18:33:30

The deal was over Ellis Island, not Liberty.

Darkside

05-07-2006 19:16:59

One thing you definetely have to keep in mind is one block from say 42nd-43rd is 1/20th of a mile and one block from say avenue A to Avenue B is 1/10th of a mile. 1/20th between streets and 1/10th between avenues. You're gonna want to factor that in to your timing. Central park is an amazing area to walk with girlfriend. Keep in mind though, the bums makes tons of money off tourists, they are not as poor as they appear in central park. WTC site is a very emotion place to visit, never seemed so enourmous while it was standing but the whole in the ground is insane. Don't buy the memory booklets they sell either, its assholes trying to make money off a tragedy. Katz Deli is pretty expensive but worth the experience, 1/2lb of coldcuts on each sandwhich easy. Umm theres really limitless possibilities in manhatten, I'd stick around there for your trip considering its so short. Hope you found some of my info useful.

bballp6699

06-07-2006 06:08:01

I found a hotel thats in Jersey City, right next to the PATH train, and it's only $73 a night. I'm going to try to book it today.

freedesktoppc

06-07-2006 09:51:36

That will take you significantly longer to get you into the city, but it takes you closer to where you are going to want to be, so it all evens out.

liquidskin

06-07-2006 10:48:42

[quote8062d69425="bballp6699"]I found a hotel thats in Jersey City, right next to the PATH train, and it's only $73 a night. I'm going to try to book it today.[/quote8062d69425]

What hotel? The ones by Exchange Place are nice. Think theres a nice Doubletree down by Newport too. But for $73, Id be shocked if you could get a room at either of those places.

And PATH to the city is a very very easy/quick trip. IM me if you need help with figuring it out, I live on these trains.

bballp6699

06-07-2006 12:09:13

It's called the Holland Motor Lodge. We have reservations for the 18th(Friday) and 19th of August. I'm at work now, but I'll probably be bothering you later on if you know the trains well... ;)

liquidskin

06-07-2006 20:24:18

[quote228583db91="bballp6699"]It's called the Holland Motor Lodge. We have reservations for the 18th(Friday) and 19th of August. I'm at work now, but I'll probably be bothering you later on if you know the trains well... ;)[/quote228583db91]

Holland Motor Lodge - From what I know, a perfectly sane place to stay. But just to warn you, its RIGHT on the entrance of the Holland Tunnel, one of the most insanely traffic-packed areas on earth. Once you're inside, you'll be fine.. Although, dont be expecting a very luxurious stay. You'll get the basics.

CollidgeGraduit

02-08-2007 19:29:47

Bumping a year-old thread because I'm going to NYC at the end of the month. Company's sending me to a week-long PL/SQL course in Manhattan, and I'm staying at the Hilton New York. I'll be by myself from Sun night - Thursday evening, then the wife is coming out on Thursday. We're planning on going home Monday.

Anyone have any other tips/advice on how I can spend my time most of the week, and how the wife and I can spend it on the weekend?

samz465

02-08-2007 19:52:55

Check out Time Square for sure.
Also, I'm a big fan of the Gryo guy at 53rd and 6th ave. It's a cart on the corner of this intersection that sells the best gyro platters ever.

tylerc

02-08-2007 19:53:00

The Hilton is right by the Sheraton, which is about 5-10 minutes walking from Times Square. Obviously go there, check all that out, but walk a couple blocks over to 5th Avenue (if your credit card can handle your wife ;))

If she's into baseball, go to a Yankees game, just to say you've gone. Take the D Line uptown to 161st (or is it 151st?) Street and it's right there. It's a cool set up around the stadium.

As far as places to eat, ESPNZone was really good, so is Ray's and Pronto Pizza. I also went into the Empire State Building observatory with my dad one afternoon. Phantom of the Opera was good as well.

Kidd

02-08-2007 19:56:08

too many things

what do u like to do.

use the subway system to get around its cheap and fast.

www.hopstop.com is amazing tool.

you want good restaurants musuems parks etc

CollidgeGraduit

03-08-2007 04:26:46

Nice, I'll definitely check out Times Square. How is that area for walking around -- pretty safe?

My wife and I both like theatre, but we get most of the good musicals when they tour through Detroit, so we're not too concerned about seeing one on Broadway.

I think we mostly want to see the sights, probably check out FAO Schwarz and the big Toys R Us, maybe some other big stores around there.

Also, any recommendations for fairly cheap hotels near Manhattan? I obviously can't afford the $300/night that my company is paying for the Hilton, and they'll only pay my lodging through Friday night.

tylerc

03-08-2007 06:13:20

Times Square is fine, at least it was every time I was there, and that was around 11-1130 some nights.

If you want to see the sights, definitely check out the Empire State Building, though it's a bit of a wait. The whole thing (including staying up there and the trip down) was about an hour and a half. Ground Zero is cool as well, and you can walk from Ground Zero up to China Town/Little Italy.

Tholek

03-08-2007 09:02:44

I wish I could advise you more than I had for others previously. I'm just a baaaaad New Yorker. ;)

Be careful with Coney Island if that's on your list.

Quadracer89

03-08-2007 09:35:46

The Hilton is nice from what I hear.

It's real close to Time Square, so that's a must. Watch out for the vendors, never look interested in ANYTHING and if your heading down towards china town and canal street, good luck.

New York is fun, but can get real expensive, real fast. Limit yourself or else your gonna get suckered into buying useless crap, trust me.

Hit up the bars/clubs and have fun.

Admin

03-08-2007 09:57:14

[quoted884e52672="CollidgeGraduit"]Nice, I'll definitely check out Times Square. How is that area for walking around -- pretty safe?

My wife and I both like theatre, but we get most of the good musicals when they tour through Detroit, so we're not too concerned about seeing one on Broadway.

I think we mostly want to see the sights, probably check out FAO Schwarz and the big Toys R Us, maybe some other big stores around there.

Also, any recommendations for fairly cheap hotels near Manhattan? I obviously can't afford the $300/night that my company is paying for the Hilton, and they'll only pay my lodging through Friday night.[/quoted884e52672]

times square (and most of manhattan) is pretty safe during daylight. application of basic big city common sense will more than suffice.

that hilton's a nice one, i've stayed there before. TRU and stuff in times square is fun.

do you like shows? i like to try to see something on broadway when i'm out there

empire state building isn't all that great but i like the statue of liberty. you can take the subway down there, then walk to the financial district (maybe i'm an econ geek...)

good2speed

03-08-2007 10:05:07

Right outside of the Hilton on 53st is a gyro type of place on the street. It is really good you will see a line on the street all night long. Id definetely recommend eating there. Opens up after 8 PM. Best idea is to go out get drunk and comeback to it at the end of the night. You may think of just grabbing a late night slice(pizza) but I'd wait for the gyro place especially if you are staying at the hilton.

Also you might want to go to South Street seaport. Dont think anyone has mentioned it yet and may be something you'd want to do.

Oh ya if yo are into golf go down to chelsea piers. I heard they have a great driving range there.

tylerc

03-08-2007 10:33:58

South Street Seaport is alright.

What's up with that Gyro place on 53rd? Every time we walked by there it was so crowded and busy.

Kidd

03-08-2007 11:01:08

that gyro place is so good

it was recently in the magazine new york so the lines have just gotten bigger

Tholek

03-08-2007 11:21:02

That's lamb, isn't it? Lamb never appealed to me. shrug

good2speed

03-08-2007 13:38:45

here's some reviews

http//www.streetgrub.com/comment?id=6

http//www.yelp.com/biz/xEnNFXtMLDF5kZDxfaCJgA

CollidgeGraduit

03-08-2007 16:24:03

Thanks for the tips everyone D I'm sure I'll have more questions. Anyone have suggestions for a cheap decent hotel near Manhattan? I'm not going to be in the Hilton on Sat or Sun night

Tholek

03-08-2007 17:03:58

Come to think about it, "The Madison" comes to mind. I really don't know if it's good or not, but I think I remember someone telling me that's the best "cheap" place they could find at the time (3-4 years ago). It may be worth investigating. shrug

If you have nothing better to do, you can catch a lot of tapings here in NYC like Letterman, Conan and other daytime talk shows. Some give out tix in Times Sq. to tourists. Check out http//www.freenyc.net/ and http//nyc.myopenbar.com/ too if money becomes tight.

Kidd

03-08-2007 20:02:32

definately go to the 53st and 6th aka ave of americas next to hilton hotel cart guy get the chicken and rice with extra white sauce

Admin

03-08-2007 20:06:19

daily show / colbert report tapings!! i've been to DS (9/11/2006) and it was fantastic

"cheap" is a pretty relative term in the city. being a tourist there is tiring enough - you should do a DIY site and spring for a nice boutique hotel

www.libraryhotel.com is my favorite )

Kidd

04-08-2007 11:19:54

get the erotica package at the library hotel lol

Admin

04-08-2007 12:05:49

)

Powerbook

04-08-2007 19:42:39

i have been to NYC twice for a couple hours even though i live 3 hours away tops by car. my dad is just so afraid to deal with the nyc traffic. i think i will take a trip down on my own. i always dreamed of livin in nyc, though that would be horribly expensive.

Tholek

04-08-2007 20:33:54

[quote6a4bf1b189="Powerbook"]i have been to NYC twice for a couple hours even though i live 3 hours away tops by car. my dad is just so afraid to deal with the nyc traffic. i think i will take a trip down on my own. i always dreamed of livin in nyc, though that would be horribly expensive.[/quote6a4bf1b189]

Not if you compromise on your standard of living. ;)

tylerc

04-08-2007 21:38:53

[quote4f21a4d08d="Powerbook"]i have been to NYC twice for a couple hours even though i live 3 hours away tops by car. my dad is just so afraid to deal with the nyc traffic. i think i will take a trip down on my own. i always dreamed of livin in nyc, though that would be horribly expensive.[/quote4f21a4d08d]

Take a bus/train to Manhattan then take the subway or walk everywhere.

Kidd

04-08-2007 22:21:55

[quotebe8ae1f996="Tholek"][quotebe8ae1f996="Powerbook"]i have been to NYC twice for a couple hours even though i live 3 hours away tops by car. my dad is just so afraid to deal with the nyc traffic. i think i will take a trip down on my own. i always dreamed of livin in nyc, though that would be horribly expensive.[/quotebe8ae1f996]

Not if you compromise on your standard of living. ;)[/quotebe8ae1f996]

where in the city do u live.

8)

Tholek

04-08-2007 23:36:47

623 East 68th Street. ;)

tylerc

04-08-2007 23:40:12

Isn't that the Ricardo's address?

Tholek

05-08-2007 00:49:44

+KMA for a good memory.

Shame on you if you Googled that. ;)

tylerc

05-08-2007 10:21:22

I'll never tell P

Kidd

05-08-2007 11:58:57

was about to say whats up neighbor until i realized that 68th street goes to 600 i believe meaning you live on the streets

i love lucy was quite the show thoygh

Tholek

05-08-2007 17:50:36

No, meaning I live in the east river. D

You live in a nice area if you were gonna call me neighbor. I'm halfway to Nathan's now, but I grew up near you. The rents became too expensive to stay there. (Unless I became a super, of course) ;)