anyone good with bugs? i could use some help. [pictures]

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41924

i blame history

25-06-2006 13:38:05

some background if you would like, otherwise, cut to the last paragraph and pictures
since moving in to this apartment a little over 2 months ago, i have noticed a very slight bug problem. its a really nice place, but its a bit older, and i have seen some bugs. mainly, there are/were a ton of silverfish, at least thats what my boyfriend and i have concluded that they are. but thats no big deal... we see them, spray or crush them, and move on. they do not bother me much.

anyways, about two weeks ago, i was sitting here late at night. suddenly, in the tall floor lamp behind me, i heard a liplunkli inside the plastic bowl type shade that surrounds the lightbulb.... it registered with me, but i kept typing.... until i heard scratching. i thought, okay, wtf. its time to go to bed when your lamp starts talking. but no. i look up, and in the frosted plastic, i see the shadow of a HUGEOMFGBIG bug, unable to get traction to climb up the side of the shade (as i said, its a bowl). knowing that the bug was safely inside the shade and completely unable to get out gave me time to calm down and think of a plan. i opened the screen door to the porch and drug this huge lamp outside, armed with bug spray. (note this is roughly 2-3a.m., hopefully nobody saw) i tip the lamp on its side and shake it, and out falls what i believe to be a 1-2 inch roach with a silvery/gray/brownish sheen (it was dark and my porch light is equivalent to a match). it scurries about as i COMPLETELY DOUSE it with the spray like my life depends on it. but the badass escapes off the side of the balcony, possibly dying later, who knows.

the next day, i made a B-line (?) to hope depo for some roach poison traps and a jug of ortho home defense max. before the lamp incident, i had not seen ANYTHING other than those damn silverfish inside this place. i coated the apartment with the ortho stuff. along doors, windows, inside closets, along floorboards, whatever the label said to do. i also put the 12 traps throughout the place, taking suggestions for placement from the box. all has been well, but i have seen about 2 or 3 silverfish since then. trust me, thats a fraction of what i saw before i drowned the apartment in ortho goodness.

lilililililililililililililililililililili

but today, i thought i was about to pick up a dead fly from the rug. i had no idea how it got there, but whatever. but upon closer inspection, i realized i had no idea what it was. my first guess is that its another roach, but i would like some more detail, or to just be told wtf it is. from the way it looks, it was probably stepped on, but it is not crushed, which is why i am posting pictures. the only damage is that a wing is torn/stuck up. its much, much smaller than the first bug i saw, so i provided a tape measurer if it helps. these are fairly large and very close up, thanks to my wonderful amazing camera that works much better than i ever thought. any help will be appreciated, with probable karma soon to follow.

http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/iblamehistory/164cd391.jpg[/imge165981a3b]
[img="e165981a3b]http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/iblamehistory/29ea4f53.jpg[/imge165981a3b]
[img="e165981a3b]http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/iblamehistory/6bb130bd.jpg[/imge165981a3b]

the underside of the bug, i am assuming. if its really the top, then i am officially confused
[img="e165981a3b]http/" alt=""/img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/iblamehistory/ca0a4be2.jpg[/imge165981a3b]

as a side note, the texture that my camera picked up on the bug and kleenex is exquisite. it makes me look like i have talent.

bettysbeast

25-06-2006 14:19:59

What part of the country are you in?

i blame history

25-06-2006 14:26:01

dayton, ohio

benner410

25-06-2006 15:47:19

Why not just call the E-X-T-E-R-M-I-N-A-T-O-R?

johnjimjones

25-06-2006 16:03:23

Call Gill Grissom

i blame history

25-06-2006 16:10:18

i am not having anyone come in... if i call maintenance, they will just come in when i am not here and fog the place, which will kill my birds. plus, i could just take the birds out and fog it myself, but that stuff is disgusting and leaves chemical residue all over EVERYTHING.

i have also seen maintenance walking around with the exact same bug spray i have.

Tholek

25-06-2006 16:25:32

Bettle like body, but can fly, sounds like a Cicada to me.

I hate Silverfish by the way. They run like hell, but they are probably the least dangerous type of vermin.

dmorris68

25-06-2006 17:48:42

At first glance I was going to say it looks like a horsefly or a deerfly. But after a closer look, it looks more like some species of roach to me, lying on it's back (in the first 3 pics). The carapice and tail look like a roach's, and roaches do have wings (some roach species can fly). As to the particular type of roach it might be, I have no idea.

bettysbeast

25-06-2006 19:00:19

I thought it was a Boxelder bug after looking around for bugs in OH, but when I look at other pictures of the same bug, I'm less confident in my detective work. Here's the link to the boxelder bug http//ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2106.html

double_d

25-06-2006 22:17:53

It's not a boxelder. My parents used to have a problem with them years ago. Boxelders have red stripes on them. I'm in Northwest Ohio.

FreeOffersNow

25-06-2006 23:19:32

[quote4f7fc1454a="Tholek"]Bettle like body, but can fly, sounds like a Cicada to me.

I hate Silverfish by the way. They run like hell, but they are probably the least dangerous type of vermin.[/quote4f7fc1454a]

That's what came to mind here as well...a better picture of the head (generally very very broad) and the wings (much larger than the body) would confirm the suspicion.

Wolfeman

25-06-2006 23:28:31

I think its a June Bug
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllophaga_%28genus%29

FreeOffersNow

25-06-2006 23:42:25

[quote63e82ced12="Wolfeman"]I think its a June Bug
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllophaga_%28genus%29[/quote63e82ced12]

No.

theysayjump

25-06-2006 23:48:38

http//whatsthatbug.com/index.html

I had a look through it and it looks like a cross between a fly and a cockroach, but I couldn't really see anything on that site that matched your bug. shrug

Sorry.

Wolfeman

25-06-2006 23:54:21

Are you sure its not a Cicada?
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

theysayjump

25-06-2006 23:55:26

I suppose it could be a juvenile Cicada but I thought they were "born" bigger than the bug above. shrug

h3x

25-06-2006 23:56:22

I could have sworn seeing that same exact kind of bug in Washington... So it's obviously a common bug. ?

dmorris68

26-06-2006 05:59:47

The Cicadas around here are huge, even as a juvenile cicada I think that bug is too small, but maybe ya'll grow 'em different in Ohio. )

Still think it looks like roach.

Tholek

26-06-2006 06:25:25

The wings are too well developed to be a cockroach. Except for the larger "Waterbug" variety, they just don't fly. This clearly looks like an insect that flies.

dmorris68

26-06-2006 06:46:39

[quote9ec0e2c8c0="Tholek"]The wings are too well developed to be a cockroach. Except for the larger "Waterbug" variety, they just don't fly. This clearly looks like an insect that flies.[/quote9ec0e2c8c0]
Roaches don't fly? Says who? You need to come here and explain that to the local roaches, cuz they be confused. )

There are in fact several species of flying roaches. The large, common American cockroach doesn't fly particularly well, but I've seen them launch themselves from a high place like a shelf, wall, or ceiling, and flutter clumsily along until they land across the room.

Tholek

26-06-2006 06:56:09

[quoted909cfea14="dmorris68"][quoted909cfea14="Tholek"]The wings are too well developed to be a cockroach. Except for the larger "Waterbug" variety, they just don't fly. This clearly looks like an insect that flies.[/quoted909cfea14]
Roaches don't fly? Says who? You need to come here and explain that to the local roaches, cuz they be confused. )

There are in fact several species of flying roaches. The large, common American cockroach doesn't fly particularly well, but I've seen them launch themselves from a high place like a shelf, wall, or ceiling, and flutter clumsily along until they land across the room.[/quoted909cfea14]

And those are how big?

I ask, because the average cockroach people will get in the city (at least), grow to about an inch, and despite having wings, don't fly.

If you mean the ones that can grow up to [id909cfea14]three[/id909cfea14] inches, then those are commonly referred to as "waterbugs" despite just being a different species. Those fly quite a bit.

dmorris68

26-06-2006 07:23:32

From my highly scientific (i.e. Google) research, all roaches that have wings, fly.

Regarding the large roaches I mentioned, yeah I'm talking about the large American cockroach. They are also known in some parts as "waterbug" or "palmetto bug," but are in fact roaches, the largest (American) breed of cockroach. According to some Google hits

[quotef024cbed66]American cockroach adults are 1 and 1/2 inches long (38mm), making them the largest of the house-infesting cockroaches. With reddish brown, fully developed wings, the American cockroaches have a yellowish margin on the thorax or body region behind the head. When disturbed, they may run rapidly and adults may fly. Immature cockroaches resemble adults except that they are wingless.[/quotef024cbed66]

That 1.5" is probably nominal, because I've definitely seen them 2" and larger.

burritopunk

26-06-2006 07:57:11

Was the whole cicada thing a few years back across the whole country or just in a concentrated area? I live in Winchester, VA and the cicada eggs hatched for the first time in like 25 years and for a month, that's all you could hear. There were millions of them. the sound was deafening.

UsfGeek

26-06-2006 08:40:16

Man, I wanna live in Ohio. We went to Cedar Point yesterday, my favorite amusement park. Top Thrill Dragster was amazing, as was Wicked Twister. As for your bug problem, I think it is a Cicada, but that's just me.

i blame history

26-06-2006 08:50:12

well, two summers ago, we had the huge cicada invasion.... they are born in swarms every 17 years (i think thats the number), and 2004 happened to be year 17. i am pretty sure this is not a cicada. it would be much, much bigger, and its head would be larger as well.