linux distro...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41884

cwncool

24-06-2006 20:55:41

I was planning on downloading Ubuntu, but I can't find a download that is just the OS without all the software, which is what I want because I don't want a big download. I can get my software by myself anyways. Does anyone know a good linux distro, similar to Ubuntu's GUI, with KDE or GNOME, that I can download just the OS, without all the extra software.... Thanx!!!

h3x

24-06-2006 22:10:49

[quote22ca231f70="cwncool"]I was planning on downloading Ubuntu, but I can't find a download that is just the OS without all the software, which is what I want because I don't want a big download. I can get my software by myself anyways. Does anyone know a good linux distro, similar to Ubuntu's GUI, with KDE or GNOME, that I can download just the OS, without all the extra software.... Thanx!!![/quote22ca231f70]

disc 1 of fedora core 5

dmorris68

25-06-2006 08:57:56

Not sure you understand the concept of distros. Linux itself is just the kernel, i.e. the OS. Unless you start with a bare-bones distro like Slackware or Gentoo (where you build your own), you're going to get all of that software. That's what makes Ubuntu, Ubuntu. If you just get the kernel you aren't getting a distribution, you're just getting "Linux."

Ubuntu is a Debian-based distro, without all the Ubuntu branding and extras, so you might start with plain Debian. It still isn't considered a "small" distro, however.

If you really want a light distro, and don't want to build your own via Gentoo, then consider distros like Slackware, Damn Small Linux, or Puppy Linux.

Check DistroWatch for a zillion different distros http//distrowatch.com

cwncool

25-06-2006 10:03:08

edit n/m. even with the install guide, the text based install was too time consuming. still looking...

RocLaFamilia

25-06-2006 10:15:34

i personally like Mandriva...im pretty sure you need to pay for that though...

Vector

25-06-2006 12:18:24

mandriva is best for those who are starting out, ubuntu is good too.

if you just want to try it, check out Mandriva One

i use fedora core 5

cwncool

25-06-2006 17:45:09

k. i installed ubuntu and it works great! im posting from it now! I know this is a newb linux question, but I downloaded firefox onto my desktop. It is a tarball (.tar.gz) . I need some help installing it. I know I have to use the terminal, but....

dmorris68

25-06-2006 19:00:47

[quoteedd80dc869="cwncool"]k. i installed ubuntu and it works great! im posting from it now! I know this is a newb linux question, but I downloaded firefox onto my desktop. It is a tarball (.tar.gz) . I need some help installing it. I know I have to use the terminal, but....[/quoteedd80dc869]
Doesn't Ubuntu include Firefox? I thought it did...

I haven't installed Firefox from a tar.gz in awhile, since I always use packages now, so I don't remember if they have an installer inside the tarball or if it's just the Firefox folder zipped up. If you aren't familiar with installing from tarballs you should consider using packages where possible, since it makes installation (and more importantly, dependency and update handling), much easier.

Ubuntu uses the Debian-based package system, with apt-get on the backend. Ubuntu should have several repositories already configured, so you should be able to use Ubuntu's GUI package tool. Browse for Firefox and install from there. Or use a terminal prompt and (as root) type [bedd80dc869]apt-get update && apt-get install firefox[/bedd80dc869] or something similar.

cwncool

25-06-2006 19:42:26

lol. now I have another problem...
I have a folder on my desktop called "essential". I need to copy all of it to "usr/lib/win32". Once in the "essential" folder of the desktop in the terminal I type this..
[code154b98e63dc]
cwncool@cwncool-desktop:~/Desktop/essential$ cp /usr/lib/win32
[/code154b98e63dc]
It gives me the error
[code154b98e63dc]
cp: missing destination file operand after `/usr/lib/win32'
Try `cp --help' for more information.
[/code154b98e63dc]
Why is it giving me that error and not copying the files...? How do I copy all files from the "essential" folder into the folder at "usr/lib/win32"? Thanx!

EDIT N/M
I figured it all out with a little help. Thanx dmorris! +karma!