Computer Processor Question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41798

BD2006BD

23-06-2006 09:58:32

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop with an intel core duo 1.66ghz processor, 1gb ram, 100gb hdd.. How fast is the processor? In my main PC I have a 3.0 GHz processor and 512mb ram. Which one is faster? What does the duo mean?

EmeryRocks

23-06-2006 10:06:33

i think the duo means more battrery life...and more faster. I also got a dell inspirion i bought from slickdeals ) 1gb ram 100hd etc.

dmorris68

23-06-2006 10:16:26

No, core duo means it's a dual core processor. Clock speed alone isn't much of an indicator of performance anymore, which is why Intel is finally joining AMD, who laid clock speed to rest many years ago. Architectural differences like multi-cores, pipelining, cache algorithms and sizes, memory bandwidth and FSB speeds, etc. all contribute to processor performance, so it's very possible to have a much slower clocked CPU outperform a faster clocked CPU.

I'm assuming your 3.0Ghz processor is a Intel P4? IF so, I would expect performance to be slower in the laptop, but not by a lot, and not only due to processor. PC performance is more than just CPU speed -- the laptop will almost certainly have a slower HDD (unless you got a 7200rpm HDD in there). As far as memory, Windows by itself won't run any faster in 1GB than it does in 512MB, but some applications and certainly games will be faster with the increased memory.

Assuming what I think I know about your two systems, I would put them roughly equal in performance for practical purposes. The desktop being a little faster in the CPU department, but hobbled by less RAM, single core, and older architecture.

ajasax

23-06-2006 10:38:02

Yup. I'm waiting on my AMD X2 4800+ to be delivered for my new system wink

But pretty much what Dmorris said. Intel and AMD have hit a 4.0GHz roof in the clock speed. So naturally, they went on to multi-core processing, which will only go so far, then they'll have to think of something else. The only thing about dual-core processors is that there is so much potential, but most programs don't take advantage of multi-cores. Once software companies utilize multi-threading on top of multi-core, programs will run much faster.

Berky34

23-06-2006 10:43:06

I don't mean to jack your thread or anything, but I really don't want to make a new one. If it bothers you just let me know and I'll delete it. But, I was thinking of buying this system -> http//www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=183

probably customizing it a bit too. Any recommendations? and i should go with AMD right? oops

justinfreestuff

23-06-2006 10:57:16

did you guys just get in on the laptop + 20.1" lcd deal on slickdeals?