Question about BMG music

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41602

Crynos

20-06-2006 13:00:46

From what im reading all i have to do is buy one cd at regular price and then i get 11 free. Is there a monthly fee or any other hidden charges? Deal seems to good to be true.

jy3

20-06-2006 13:01:58

nope, u buy one and pay for shipping and u get all those cds. it is a good deal )

Crynos

20-06-2006 13:04:11

[quoteb6eb848f8c="jy3"]nope, u buy one and pay for shipping and u get all those cds. it is a good deal )[/quoteb6eb848f8c]Hmmm, shit, I definitely have to do this, not to mention I get an offer completion

UsfGeek

20-06-2006 13:04:28

But aren't you joined to a club?

Crynos

20-06-2006 13:05:38

[quote6373e1deb2="UsfGeek"]But aren't you joined to a club?[/quote6373e1deb2]Thats what i was wondering, does the club entail any future commitments?

KeithA

20-06-2006 13:07:38

You've got to buy one CD at regular price ($14.95).

http//www.bmgmusic.com/global/how_membership_works.jhtml[]http//www.bmgmusic.com/global/how_membership_works.jhtml

UsfGeek

20-06-2006 13:10:45

I don't think so, but I think that you pay a membership fee every month.

From the BMG site

[quotef2b236aba2] Our Outstanding Offer.
Get your FREE selections now. Buy just one CD at the regular Club price ($14.98 and up) within a year. Then choose your remaining FREE selections. Shipping and handling charge will be added to each selection. Once you pay for your one regular Club-priced selection, you may cancel your membership at any time, simply by writing to us. Please note that BMG Music Service membership is available only to individuals residing in the United States, its possessions and APO-FPO addresses.

More Hit Music And Superstars Than Ever.
Thousands of brand-new titles are now available in the Club-over 14,000 hits in all-from pop to classical, light contemporary to metal, country to jazz, R&B to modern rock.

10-Day, Risk-Free Trial.
When you receive your introductory selections, preview them for 10 days and examine the terms of membership. If you're not completely satisfied for any reason, return the selections at our expense with no further obligation. It's that simple.

Freedom Of Choice.
You will receive updates via email or postal mail, whichever you choose, about every 3 weeks (18 times a year) with information on a Featured Selection tailored to your specific listening interest. If you want it, do nothing; it will be shipped to you automatically. If you don't want it, respond online or through the mail by the date specified. If you receive an unwanted Featured Selection, return it within 10 days at our expense and we will credit your account.

Why Members Stay.
It's simple. We offer extraordinary savings on the music you love.[/quotef2b236aba2]

KeithA

20-06-2006 13:12:03

[quoteb493bd5cfa="UsfGeek"]I don't think so, but I think that you pay a membership fee every month.

From the BMG site

[quoteb493bd5cfa] Our Outstanding Offer.
Get your FREE selections now. [bb493bd5cfa]Buy just one CD at the regular Club price ($14.98 and up) within a year[/bb493bd5cfa]. Then choose your remaining FREE selections. Shipping and handling charge will be added to each selection. Once you pay for your one regular Club-priced selection, you may cancel your membership at any time, simply by writing to us. Please note that BMG Music Service membership is available only to individuals residing in the United States, its possessions and APO-FPO addresses.

More Hit Music And Superstars Than Ever.
Thousands of brand-new titles are now available in the Club-over 14,000 hits in all-from pop to classical, light contemporary to metal, country to jazz, R&B to modern rock.

10-Day, Risk-Free Trial.
When you receive your introductory selections, preview them for 10 days and examine the terms of membership. If you're not completely satisfied for any reason, return the selections at our expense with no further obligation. It's that simple.

Freedom Of Choice.
You will receive updates via email or postal mail, whichever you choose, about every 3 weeks (18 times a year) with information on a Featured Selection tailored to your specific listening interest. If you want it, do nothing; it will be shipped to you automatically. If you don't want it, respond online or through the mail by the date specified. If you receive an unwanted Featured Selection, return it within 10 days at our expense and we will credit your account.

Why Members Stay.
It's simple. We offer extraordinary savings on the music you love.[/quoteb493bd5cfa][/quoteb493bd5cfa]

I see something about buying one CD at regular price, and nothing about a membership fee. Did I miss something?

Crynos

20-06-2006 13:12:29

I didnt see anything about a membership fee, all i saw was this

Freedom Of Choice.

But thats optional.

kyks17

20-06-2006 13:20:51

yeah theres no membership fee.

UsfGeek

20-06-2006 13:32:43

[quotedba82f5056]10-Day, Risk-Free [bdba82f5056]Trial[/bdba82f5056].
When you receive your introductory selections, preview them for 10 days and examine the terms of membership. If you're not completely satisfied for any reason, return the selections at our expense with no further obligation. It's that simple.[/quotedba82f5056]

That mislead me.

JordanE

20-06-2006 13:36:10

Don't you have to pay like $4 shipping on each of the other cds? 4x11=44 once all is said and done it could cost about $60? Could someone who actually has this offer explain about how much it costs.

dmorris68

20-06-2006 13:59:54

I've been a BMG member for about 10 or 11 years now. lol There is no membership fee. The "trial" means you have 10 days to review your selections and send them back if you don't want to remain a member. Otherwise you just have to buy 1 CD later to get the rest of the free CD's.

And yes, they charge your for shipping on those free CD's, but it's not $4 per. As I recall you'll pay around $25 or so shipping/handling for all of them. Not free, but still a great deal.

I did YourMusic for an I-Deal site and have kept it now for several months. YourMusic is a BMG company and draws from the same BMG inventory/catalog. I actually prefer YourMusic's unlimited $5.99 lishippedli per CD over BMG, so I may finally cancel BMG after all these years.

phoebe7

20-06-2006 14:02:14

YourMusic is an awesome deal. Plus they gave me a free subscription to Entertainment Weekly.

brendenipod

20-06-2006 15:24:31

OK, I have done bmg for many years. There is no membership fee, nothing extra as far as costs go ever. the only "catch" is that you are enrolled in a kind of autoship program called your "featured selection". You just have to login in once a month and say you dont want your featured selection though (very easy). Even if you forget to respond online and your cd is autoshipped, you can just write "refused return to sender" on the shipping package and place it back in your mailbox and it will be returned to them at their cost and you will pay nothing. Excellent customer service as well!

And yes, their shipping costs are rediculous, but it all works out in the end. Here is how it works as far as cost goes. Any single cd selection costs 2.79 for shipping and handeling. If you get a two disc set, it is 4.78 (2.79+1.99). Later as a member, if you decide to buy a boxed set or anything like that, it is the price plus shipping (for example, if it is a 10 disc set, you pay 2.79+(9li1.99)=20.70).

So basically the way the introductory offer works is this

1. Pick 7 "free" cds = 19.53 (or slightly less if you pick 2 disc sets)
2. During the next year, buy one regular priced cd (usually 14.98 or 17.98)= 17.77 or 20.77
3. Get four more "free" cds 11.16

Maximum introductory offer cost 19.53+20.44+11.16 = 51.13

This essentially gets you 12 cds for 4.26 each-try and find that at any store.

When you are a member, bmg has constant sales too. Basically, all of these sales work out so that you pay about $8 a cd (after shipping), so these deals are not that bad either. I prefer just to get the introductory offer and sometime a few box sets i want and then get more 2.79 cds by referring my friends (you get 5 "free" cds for every friend successfully signed up).

I'm sure most of you would do this offer to get a green, but if anyone is just interested in the offer, If you sign up under me, I'll pitch you one of the free cds i get from your referral.

hope this was helpful

Crynos

20-06-2006 15:29:15

That was, thanks a bunch brenden

dmorris68

20-06-2006 15:31:50

If you've been a member for awhile, you can stop the autoship. Just call 'em up and tell them. I've done this with all of my CD, DVD, and book clubs over the years. Once you've completed your initial commitment, and especially if you've been with them for a long time, all of them will convert your account off of the autoship plan. Then you just order what you want and don't have to worry with remembering to decline the monthly selection.

And at $5.99 per CD shipped, YourMusic is a better deal, even with the common BMG "Buy 1 Get 3 Free!" promotions they run for regular members, due to their shipping charges. The only thing with YourMusic is you limustli get at least 1 CD per month, otherwise you still get charged $5.99 for nothing.

brendenipod

20-06-2006 19:58:12

yes, i rember cancelling the featured selection autoship on an account i made about 10 years ago, but they wont do that anymore (my younger brother has had an account with them for about 6 years, and they wouldnt cancel it for him). But, bmg still rules. I never buy regular cds from them, but their introductory offer, the referral deal, and the box set prices (most of them) are pretty amazing.

mnx12

20-06-2006 20:19:29

I cancelled my account after completing all the requirments, and they emailed me saying that i could re-join and get the same offer again, it really works well...

brendenipod

21-06-2006 08:02:48

If you're going to do that, it makes more sense to sign up a "sibling/relative/friend" as one of your own referalls. That way you get 5 more "free" cds and 2 music points.

If you cancel and re-join, you only get the 12.