french hiphop??

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41537

geej86

19-06-2006 14:58:38

Hip hop first appeared in France in 1979, just as the genre was achieving some success in the US. By 1982, a number of hip hop radio stations had appeared, including Rapper Dapper Snapper, and the future star DJ Dee Nasty made his first appearance. That same year saw the first major hip hop concert, the New York City Rap Tour, sponsored by Europe 1 and featuring Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmixer DST, Fab 5 Freddy, Mr Freeze and the Rock Steady Crew. [taken from wiki 'french hiphop']

One of my friends put me on to this stuff a few days ago and I'm just lovin it so i'd thought i'd share. I know atleast a few people are into hiphop on this board. I don't speak french or anything but the language [id70ce7e63d]is[/id70ce7e63d] definitly suited for rap and the stuff i've heard has some major talent. I've heard IAM , Supreme NTM, and MC Solaar so far.

I gotta link so you can preview this one cd, if you're interested just pm me. The cd is L'école de Micro d'Argent by a group called IAM. It's from 1998 and it's on that wutang/illmatic level so don't be expecting no run of the mill dj drama 50 cent garbage.

anyone familiar with this stuff?
[pls no 'rap sucks' comments]

FreeOffersNow

19-06-2006 15:06:34

Saw something on VH1 about this a week or two ago...they are garbage.

TryinToGetPaid

19-06-2006 15:06:47

Never heard of??? I would like to listen though, as music is music no matter the language or the style....

kyks17

19-06-2006 15:10:23

french rap is hilarious. i have some of it, including 1 or 2 full NTM albums. and if u can understand the french....its even funnier D

geej86

19-06-2006 15:14:34

[quote1d41da408e="FreeOffersNow"]Saw something on VH1 about this a week or two ago...they are garbage.[/quote1d41da408e]

remember names? If you enjoy/listen to hiphop then it would be impossible to dislike this IAM cd i'm listening to, it's very good. Probably won't leave my rotation with the likes of illmatic, resurrection, OBCL, low end theory, and other legendary releases

ilanbg

19-06-2006 15:25:47

[quote34d8f25cd9="geej86"]One of my friends put me on to this stuff a few days ago and I'm just lovin it so i'd thought i'd share. I know atleast a few people are into hiphop on this board. I don't speak french or anything but the language [i34d8f25cd9]is[/i34d8f25cd9] definitly suited for rap and the stuff i've heard has some major talent. I've heard IAM , Supreme NTM, and MC Solaar so far.[/quote34d8f25cd9]

I've got CDs for all of them. Good stuff.

La Saga is my favorite track. Timbo King's verse is so fucking good.

Check out "Sniper" (the artist) too.

When I get off my ass and look at my iPod I can suggest some others for you as well.

hehehhehe

19-06-2006 15:28:07

I don't listen to hiphop but I remember NTM and MC solaar from when I lived in france. The guys in NTM (fuck your mother) are hilarious, but not intentionally. About the only french music I like is Daft Punk, St. germain, S. gainesbourg, an inactive rock band called Dolly.

KeithA

19-06-2006 16:31:00

When I lived in Paris, my apartment was in the 18eme Arondissement. Our place wasn't terribly far from Montmartre and Sacre Coeur, but it wasn't exactly in a neighborhood frequented by tourists.

One day in French class someone played a French rap song. The rapper was talking about the 18th as if it were the ultimate ghetto needles on the ground, the gyro guys trying to poison you, the cornerstore guys trying to steal your money...

It wasn't far off, but my roommate and I couldn't stop laughing.

Any ideas what rapper/track that was? I'd kill to hear it again...

hehehhehe

19-06-2006 17:03:53

[quotef5a124bf92="KeithA"]When I lived in Paris, my apartment was in the 18eme Arondissement. Our place wasn't terribly far from Montmartre and Sacre Coeur, but it wasn't exactly in a neighborhood frequented by tourists.[/quotef5a124bf92]
My sister lives in the 18th, and my gf used to live there too. Some parts of the 18th are horrible, while the rest is just fine to pretty nice. I got lost going to my sister's once, and I wandered into a complete ghetto where african immigrants lived, it stunk since trash was piled up in the streets. Worse than anyplace I'd seen in the US I think. It was so horrible that I sometimes wondered if it was a dream, but it was real. That being said, I don't think those guys would survive in a real American ghetto neighborhood and their guns. Go USA!

double_d

19-06-2006 17:46:16

I like that track "Cousin" on RZA's Digital Bullet. Doc Gyneco is on it. Nice.

good2speed

19-06-2006 19:09:51

Ya MC solaar is ok. Dont understand frwech so I get a little bit lost. Can't really look into french hiphop too much as I'm currently trying to figure out what the hell Daddy Yankee and all the other reggaeton artists are saying.

Rompe bitch

KeithA

19-06-2006 20:28:12

[quote07edee08d5="hehehhehe"]Some parts of the 18th are horrible, while the rest is just fine to pretty nice. I got lost going to my sister's once, and I wandered into a complete ghetto where african immigrants lived, it stunk since trash was piled up in the streets. Worse than anyplace I'd seen in the US I think. It was so horrible that I sometimes wondered if it was a dream, but it was real.[/quote07edee08d5]

I will admit to having gotten in a shouting match with two crackheads in the lobby to our building. They were so fucked up it was sad. As my roommate and I entered the lobby, they started yelling at us to get out of their building. We would have laughed if we weren't afraid they'd do something crazy.

ilanbg

20-06-2006 19:06:55

[quote074b508d75="KeithA"]I will admit to having gotten in a shouting match with two crackheads in the lobby to our building. They were so fucked up it was sad. As my roommate and I entered the lobby, they started yelling at us to get out of their building. We would have laughed if we weren't afraid they'd do something crazy.[/quote074b508d75]

I'd say any area in which you have to fear being attacked by crackheads in your own building would warrant subject for French hip hop slander/glorification.