how to make itunes be less stupid?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41504

kyks17

19-06-2006 00:51:48

so i have almost no experience with itunes, ive used it about 5 times and only because of my ipod. so i had 2500 or so songs on it, and wanted to add an album. so i changed the settings to manual, which didnt help at all since the files are all crazily named on it as a hard drive, leading me to change the settings to only update selected songs. it then proceeded to wipe the ipod save for the selected songs. nice. so i check all the songs again and it picks 40 at random and puts those back, and no others O_o. finally i said the hell with it and just told it to do everything automatically since it needed to redo it all anyway.

am i missing something or were those settings supposed to work in a more sensical way? does anyone know the way to just add stuff without it trashing the old stuff? karma for anyone who helps D

slockhart

19-06-2006 03:21:13

Just do manual update )

Also,check out here http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=426387

jy3

19-06-2006 03:57:22

yeah manual update is the way to go. another option would be to rerip the songs and this time rip them with the following fields filled and accurate band, album, song name. that will help eventually. note that u can edit all the information except song name all at once on more than one file.
also, if u have the room, back up your library into another folder every once in a while.

CollidgeGraduit

19-06-2006 04:07:57

Kyks, I highly recommend a program called Tag & Rename for standardizing your file names and mp3 tags, that will help in the long run (I know it doesn't help the current situation). It can either assign MP3 tags based on the filename, or rename based on MP3 tags. Let me know if you want it.

JustBlaze786

19-06-2006 04:24:21

Can you change the file names of songs/videos from itunes while their in the ipod?

CollidgeGraduit

19-06-2006 04:27:33

[quote0d30b3171e="JustBlaze786"]Can you change the file names of songs/videos from itunes while their in the iPod?[/quote0d30b3171e]

You would have to change them on your PC, and then do an update on the iPod to get rid of the old songs, and replace them with the new (renamed/retagged) songs.

dmorris68

19-06-2006 07:07:47

The iPod doesn't use the filenames anyway, they're renamed when they're sent to the iPod. The iPod depends on the ID3 tag info to catalog/display track info.

If you have a lot of MP3's with bogus tag/filename info, I suggest you try MusicBrainz.org. They maintain a community database of music file hashes they use to identify songs and fixup tags/filenames for you. I used it when I got my iPod and had a few hundred disparate MP3's from licoughli different sources. The tag info ranged from good to wrong to completely blank, with filenames all over the place, and I didn't feel like manually fixing each one by hand. MusicBrainz recognized about 99% of them from its database and automagically corrected tags and filenames.

I suggest using their classic Tagger, as the new Picard beta one seems less effective from what I hear.

RocLaFamilia

19-06-2006 08:26:47

[quote4d3a841858="CollidgeGraduit"]Kyks, I highly recommend a program called Tag & Rename for standardizing your file names and mp3 tags, that will help in the long run (I know it doesn't help the current situation). It can either assign MP3 tags based on the filename, or rename based on MP3 tags. Let me know if you want it.[/quote4d3a841858]

is that this program
http//i6.tinypic.com/14wad7o.gif

if so that program is great, i have some others too but this one is the simplest

CollidgeGraduit

19-06-2006 08:57:52

[quotee4dde4bd52="RocLaFamilia"][quotee4dde4bd52="CollidgeGraduit"]Kyks, I highly recommend a program called Tag & Rename for standardizing your file names and mp3 tags, that will help in the long run (I know it doesn't help the current situation). It can either assign MP3 tags based on the filename, or rename based on MP3 tags. Let me know if you want it.[/quotee4dde4bd52]

is that this program
http//i6.tinypic.com/14wad7o.gif

if so that program is great, i have some others too but this one is the simplest[/quotee4dde4bd52]

That's the one! I love it.

kyks17

19-06-2006 13:25:39

my tags are perfect, i tagged them all in the summer. also the files are still on my computer in the original location. i think if id just told it to do automatic update then it woulda just done what i wanted, but i wanted to be able to learn how to make it just put new stuff without messing with the old -\

so the thread on manual updating just says to drag and drop the files...but they all have crazy names in weird folders on the ipod, so where do i drag n drop to?

RocLaFamilia

19-06-2006 13:32:17

No, in iTunes you see your ipod connected, drag the files in itunes onto the ipod and drop....

dmorris68

19-06-2006 13:38:35

Right, you drag & drop from inside iTunes, not from Windows. )

I was wondering how you were seeing filenames in iTunes, when it doesn't use filenames.

dmorris68

19-06-2006 13:41:44

And speaking of iTunes (not to hijack your thread kyks) but is anybody still using iTunes 5.0 and having it crash/close during a Music Store search? Seem to be a common problem on the Apple forums. The only solution offered is "upgrade to 6.0." Which I'd prefer not to do. I'm wondering what caused this. If an upgrade was [ia453eba7c7]mandatory[/ia453eba7c7] you'd think they'd tell you when you login, not just crash when you're trying to search for something.

kyks17

19-06-2006 14:13:01

ah, well my ipod didnt show up in itunes when i had it set to manual heh. but then again it didnt show up lots of other times when it was set to auto, but then i knew it was supposed to and kept going til it showed. ill try it back on manual now, thanks guys D

Iloveipods2

19-06-2006 20:35:07

I hate iTunes, not only did it completly wipe out my iPod's hard drive but also corrupt the itunes library.itl file so I lost ALL my playlists. SO then I tried to add an older saved itl file and it kept telling me I didn't have priviledges and I looked it up on itunes forums and there's no solution!!!