College network and the Xbox Live service...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41364

DrkWarlock

16-06-2006 11:41:52

So I just found out that my college does not permit the use of gaming systems on thier network. And I say to that...do you think Id still be able to get away with signing on to Live?

I think its a bit ridiculous for that kind of restriction considering they are running off a T1 or better...

-Drk

manOFice

16-06-2006 11:43:33

no you won't get away with it, at my college you were able to hook up your xbox's to the network as long as you asked. If you didn't ask you would get a knock on your door.

JKirk

16-06-2006 11:47:31

Wow, that's pretty strict! However, I'm sure some of the students there have figured out a way to do it.

theman2005

16-06-2006 11:51:39

[quotec2ab1a704f="JKirk"]Wow, that's pretty strict! However, I'm sure some of the students there have figured out a way to do it.[/quotec2ab1a704f]

simple.

you buy an extra network card for your computer, rout that to your xbox. that's what i did. So to them, i'm just "surfing the web" with my computer.

DrkWarlock

16-06-2006 11:56:38

[quote5f41b3a3d4="theman2005"][quote5f41b3a3d4="JKirk"]Wow, that's pretty strict! However, I'm sure some of the students there have figured out a way to do it.[/quote5f41b3a3d4]

simple.

you buy an extra network card for your computer, rout that to your xbox. that's what i did. So to them, i'm just "surfing the web" with my computer.[/quote5f41b3a3d4]

We also are not allowed any routers...we can only utilize the only connection that we are given so would that still be able to work? If so, you definitely need to explain it in more detail.

Also, do you actually think if I asked that they would let me? I was planning on just hooking up anyway and if I ever was caught I would just play it off as ignorance or something like that.

-Drk

JKirk

16-06-2006 11:58:27

[quote93bff18235="DrkWarlock"]Wow, that's I was planning on just hooking up anyway and if I ever was caught I would just play it off as ignorance or something like that.

-Drk[/quote93bff18235]

Eh, that's risky. It really depends on how serious they are about it and I wouldn't risk it unless you knew what the punishment was.

theysayjump

16-06-2006 11:58:52

[quotecfd2535e57="DrkWarlock"][quotecfd2535e57="theman2005"][quotecfd2535e57="JKirk"]Wow, that's pretty strict! However, I'm sure some of the students there have figured out a way to do it.[/quotecfd2535e57]

simple.

you buy an extra network card for your computer, rout that to your xbox. that's what i did. So to them, i'm just "surfing the web" with my computer.[/quotecfd2535e57]

We also are not allowed any routers...we can only utilize the only connection that we are given so would that still be able to work? If so, you definitely need to explain it in more detail.

Also, do you actually think if I asked that they would let me? I was planning on just hooking up anyway and if I ever was caught I would just play it off as ignorance or something like that.

-Drk[/quotecfd2535e57]

Geez, can you do anything there?

Are you studying at the College for Displaced Nazi's or something?

theman2005

16-06-2006 12:00:25

[quote541cb69764="DrkWarlock"][quote541cb69764="theman2005"][quote541cb69764="JKirk"]Wow, that's pretty strict! However, I'm sure some of the students there have figured out a way to do it.[/quote541cb69764]

simple.

you buy an extra network card for your computer, rout that to your xbox. that's what i did. So to them, i'm just "surfing the web" with my computer.[/quote541cb69764]

-Drk[/quote541cb69764]

its not a router. You have two network cards on your computer. One would be set to in, the other would be set to out (to the xbox). If i plug a router to it, yes, they will catch me and i'd be in trouble. When i said "route", i mean "plug".

DrkWarlock

16-06-2006 12:00:37

Lol. Well considering its Penn State and we are like our own little city here with so many students, I guess its a way to cut down on bandwith usage.

But yes, I believe its a little too much if you ask me.

-Drk

DrkWarlock

16-06-2006 12:01:34

[quote61e98c0148="theman2005"][quote61e98c0148="DrkWarlock"][quote61e98c0148="theman2005"][quote61e98c0148="JKirk"]Wow, that's pretty strict! However, I'm sure some of the students there have figured out a way to do it.[/quote61e98c0148]

simple.

you buy an extra network card for your computer, rout that to your xbox. that's what i did. So to them, i'm just "surfing the web" with my computer.[/quote61e98c0148]

-Drk[/quote61e98c0148]

its not a router. You have two network cards on your computer. One would be set to in, the other would be set to out (to the xbox). If i plug a router to it, yes, they will catch me and i'd be in trouble. When i said "route", i mean "plug".[/quote61e98c0148]

Im sorry if I am a newb at this but I will have a laptop....is this method still doable?

tylerc

16-06-2006 12:03:48

What college are you going to?

DrkWarlock

16-06-2006 12:42:53

[quotef41d644780="tylerc"]What college are you going to?[/quotef41d644780]

Penn State Main

kyks17

16-06-2006 12:44:41

at my college you have to register every device you want to use - computer, router, gaming system, anything. and each device is assigned a different range of IP addys both for registered and unregistered. If yours works anything like that, in terms of the ranges, you will be caught. punishment here is just blocking the connection to the particular device, but if you do something wrong 3 times you don't get your connection back at all.

zr2152

16-06-2006 12:47:39

At my College (Messiah College) (theysayjump might know where that is) we just have troubling logging on to the xbox live. It says that we are not connected al lthe time when we really are. I dont understnad why this is but we network through the dorms and stuff which is pretty cool though. Yeah and in responcse to kyks12 we have to register our xbox too so that the schoo knows that its running on their serveer

kyks17

16-06-2006 13:07:45

For us, different items are registered mainly to enforce package shaping, which basically works to let different types of traffic through at a different rate. since its an academic institution, we let game systems through after everything else, and people usually just end up complaining about the speed.

bickman00

16-06-2006 13:13:16

most schools, including mine, make you install a program that assigns your computer a username and password to be able to log into the internet. so i doubt even a router will be able to solve your problem...considering youd need some how to give your xbox a username and password to even recieve internet.

Brok3n_Sword

16-06-2006 13:18:20

It's that the same way at my university, but people do it anyway and nothing happens. I guess you just need to find out how strict they are about it, and what happens if you get caught. If you don't have to register your devices, you could always plug the ethernet cable directly into your xbox (if you don't need your pc to be online).

DrkWarlock

16-06-2006 13:27:34

[quote1a76edb118="Brok3n_Sword"]It's that the same way at my university, but people do it anyway and nothing happens. I guess you just need to find out how strict they are about it, and what happens if you get caught. If you don't have to register your devices, you could always plug the ethernet cable directly into your xbox (if you don't need your pc to be online).[/quote1a76edb118]

Yea, thats what I thought about doing at first. But, it specifically says no gaming systems on the network. SO I guess that means even if im not using the connection for my comp.

veritas24

16-06-2006 13:55:45

Find out the MAC address of the computer you registered at your college. If you dont know how to do this search google. THen go into your xbox dashboard and go under networks and there should be a space where you can enter in the MAC address. This way the network recognizes your xbox as your computer and you can play xbox live etc. Only thing is you will not be able to use your computer for internet purposes when using your xbox. This worked at my college, good luck

FreeOffersNow

16-06-2006 13:56:25

Bottom line Your school's internet usage policy sucks...but there are ways around it. My school not only let me run a CounterStrike 1.6 server all of freshman year, but also let us host an XBOX live Halo 2 tournament. Couple that with the fact that if you take ANY computer science courses you are allowed unlimited bandwidth on your student account and I'd say our OIT department is pretty <3

johnjimjones

16-06-2006 15:20:53

Wow that really sucks. We (at Purdue) can use the xbox on live or use the school LAN to network multiple xboxs so we had the whole floor playing Halo.

manOFice

16-06-2006 15:30:07

Heh, i remember when they would ban me from the internet for downloading to much i would just spoof my mac addy every time..after about the 100th time they caught on and threatened to banish me from the campus...i then moved off campus..couldn't put up with the schools lame internet rules.