Headpone to RCA Amp

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41127

compuguru

12-06-2006 14:21:57

I would like to use the Headphone output of my Laptop and connect it to my amplifier. I know I need a mini to RCA cord. However, when I tried it, the volume was much lower than the other components in my system, such as my DVD player. Any recommendations on how to increase the volume of the laptop (already at full level) to the same level as the DVD player? I'm on tight budget to, so the cheaper the recommendation the better. ;)

ilanbg

12-06-2006 14:26:10

I can't think of anything. The same thing happens when I plug my computer as well.

Do you have a line-out jack in your computer (different from the headphone jack)?

Also, I don't know if this will work, but try plugging some computer speakers into your laptop, then connect the RCA cord to the speakers (if they have a headphone jack). Obviously have those at full level as well.

dmorris68

12-06-2006 14:29:25

Usually, it's the other way around. The headphone jack is preamplified (since headphones don't have amps in them) and usually results in a too-loud signal when connected to an amplifier. Line-out is line-level which is what you would normally connect to an amp.

If you're connecting headphone-out to line-in on the receiver, maybe the receiver is detecting the amplification and filtering it to protect itself. Just a guess. If your laptop has a line-out, try that instead and see what happens.

compuguru

12-06-2006 14:30:10

Nope, no line out. ( I know I could really crank the volume up on my receiver, but I am not the only one who will use it, so I want to "idiot proof" it by having everything at generally the same level. D

Tholek

13-06-2006 00:48:53

Hmm, a phono pre-amp may be what you need. They are boxes with rca jacks on them that you plug into the wall to amplify a turntable for a receiver that only has an aux input. (no amplification)