Help me install Fedora Core 5

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=40888

Vector

08-06-2006 14:44:57

I DL and burned the cds and i try to install and i do the media check so my cds are burned correctly, but after i do these two steps

li Click "Next" at the language selection page for default English or select your language.

li Click "Next" at the keyboard selection page for default U. S. English or select your language.

then it comes up with

"what type of media contains the packages to be installed?"

and I select CD cuz thats where it is but then it says

CD NOT FOUND

pleaese help! if you can... here is the guide im using

http//stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

dmorris68

08-06-2006 17:43:37

This error is almost always caused by either bad media (bad download or burn) or an error detecting the CD/DVD drive. When the media is okay and the drive detected properly, you shouldn't get that prompt asking about the media at all. I've installed Fedora more times and on more machines than I can count, and I never recall seeing that prompt before -- I expect it is only presented when it can't detect any media and assumes you want to do a network install or something. Of course I can just about install Linux in my sleep, so it could be that I've just overlooked it, but I doubt it. )

FC5 has been known to have a buggy IDE driver that just balked on some systems, and when I Googled for your problem I found both cases of bad burns, and cases of having to tweak CD/DVD drives by moving it around on the IDE bus (from primary to slave, or to a different controller) to get the install to proceed.

I've installed Fedora 5 (actually every version of Fedora, and almost every version of RedHat before it), and I've never run across that problem, nor have I heard it from any of my colleagues who run it.

Vector

08-06-2006 21:32:22

well, i thought it wasnt a problem with the cd's because i did the media check and everything went fine.

perhaps the computer i am trying to install it on is too old?

it is a 500MHZ Celeron with 10gb of hd space and 192 mb ram which is the minimum to run the graphical version.

so what i am going to do is install it on my p4 computer that needs a new hard drive and see if the cd is the problem (i will also probobly try moving around the IDE for the cd drive) and if that doesnt work then i will just buy the cd or dvd version from linuxcd.org

thank you for your help!

t.money

08-06-2006 21:47:19

Heh, you don't know the meaning of old computer if you consider 192mb ram sparce.

Fedora Core (well, the last time I messed with it was version 3) ran like butter on a Pentium 2 300mhz on 64mb ram

Vector

08-06-2006 22:03:21

[quote43fa0ad7a5="t.money"]Heh, you don't know the meaning of old computer if you consider 192mb ram sparce.

Fedora Core (well, the last time I messed with it was version 3) ran like butter on a Pentium 2 300mhz on 64mb ram[/quote43fa0ad7a5]

ive got an old mac that runs on 4mb of ram, but the minimum requirements for the graphic version of fedora core is 192mb of ram, and thats a little.

t.money

08-06-2006 22:27:33

Try an older fedora distro then, it should run much smoother.

Or just use something like archlinux or dsl ;)

ajasax

08-06-2006 22:59:27

I always got this error when trying to install Slackware using a crappy quality cd-r. It would run the setup fine, but when it began to look for the setup disk right before copying files, it couldn't find the disk. I researched, tried different drives, switched them around (as dmorris suggested), but in the end I found out that it could be bad media. I used a higher-quality cd-r and it worked perfectly. shrug