burning multiple dvds at once

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=40771

JJPRO11

06-06-2006 22:52:39

is it possible to burn more than one dvd at once on one computer? for example i have an internal dvd burner and an external usb dvd burner.. can i hook both up at once and burn two different dvds at once? id be using 4 total cds, 2 different dvds, and 2 dvd-r cds.

JOSHBOX

06-06-2006 23:29:15

too much strain on your cpu, even with a dual core processor. There would be major corruption on your discs. Short answer no.

dmorris68

07-06-2006 06:25:56

[quote74b678d5e4="JOSHBOX"]too much strain on your cpu, even with a dual core processor. There would be major corruption on your discs. Short answer no.[/quote74b678d5e4]
It's certainly possible, and a lot of people do it. Nero, for example, supports burning to multiple drives at once. The only problem limightli be with one of them being USB. Sometimes USB burners can be a bit flakey on their own -- trying to burn on one simultaneously as another burn might be difficult.

As long as your HDD has enough space to cache both disc images before burning, and if both burners have overrun protection (burn-proof/justlink/smartburn/etc), which all recent ones do, and the PC is of recent vintage (especially dual-core), then it would certainly be possible -- I'm just unsure how the USB drive will handle it.

You can always try, if you're willing to sacrafice a couple of coasters to find out. Or you could use some high-speed RW's. But don't try low-speed RW's and think if it works, that it'll work with high-speed -R/+R's. The higher speed burn would put more load on the CPU and might not work as well. The best test would be to use the same media you would use for the real burns, and just be willing to lose the media if it doesn't work. It's not like media is super-expensive anymore.