Need DSL Internet and Wireless Router Help!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=40752

BD2006BD

06-06-2006 19:33:32

I used to have cable with a wireless router hooked up. Now I have DSL, the same way.. everything is hooked up the same.. but the internet doesn't work when the router is plugged in. I can connect to the connection, but no internet. It is also no internet on the main wired computer. What should I do?

bballp6699

06-06-2006 19:35:41

You sure they activated it yet? Sounds like a dumb question, but I got impatient when I got my DSL equipment and didn't realize they weren't activating it until 2 days later...

Ryizan

06-06-2006 19:46:31

My friend ordered BellSouth DSL 1 or 2 moths ago and they still havent activated it! Some "technical difficulties" They are getting really pissed! I would make sure its activated, as bball said...

BD2006BD

06-06-2006 22:25:03

Yea the internet works when it is connect right to the computer without the router. I guess I will just keep trying different stuff and hoping it helps. Could I call netgear (my router) and they help me? Or centurytel?

bballp6699

07-06-2006 05:07:44

I'd call your ISP. They should be able to tell you out.

doylnea

07-06-2006 06:08:16

Did you reset the router to factory settings when you went from Cable to DSL? Depending on your Cable/DSL settings, you may be configured for a DSL connection that is incompatible with your Cable connection. In my router, I had to configure the PPPOE settings to see the outside world.

You can certainly call Netgear, or CenturyTel. I would call your DSL provider first, though they're going to ask you to reset all of your devices and start fresh, so you may as well do that yourself before you call. The first time configuring a router is the most difficult, after that, it gets easier.

freedesktoppc

07-06-2006 08:21:34

Here are some tips, a program prob. came with your dsl to connect, if you have a router, you no longer need to use that program, but you essentially need the router to do it for you, whereas with cable there is generally no config. on the router side. You are gonna need to set up your router for Ppoe, and get the settings from your isp.