HDTV Help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=40674

Brok3n_Sword

05-06-2006 17:19:43

I'm trying to help my father pick out an HDTV, and I'm just swamped with all of the information. His budget is about $1500. I've heard CRT televisions are better in one aspect of viewing non high-def shows (plasmas and LCD make regular shows look worse than a standard tv). Is there any truth to that? Which technology should I go with? DLP? LCD? It also be nice if the tv came with a built in tuner and supported 1080i resolutions. I guess what I'm asking for is suggestions if any of you guys own hdtvs. What should I be looking for?

Peinecone

05-06-2006 17:32:49

I have a 1080i 42" plasma. I don't have any complaints.
If he isn't worried about size, i would tell him to get a rear projection DLP TV. They are quite a bit cheaper than plasmas. Or for around 1500, you are probably looking at a 36-38" LCD with tuner. I wasn't concerned with a tuner when i bought mine. If you use cable or satalite for your HD signal, you don't need a tuner.

PsychoAU

05-06-2006 17:42:27

[quotee0056ad3b4="Peinecone"]I have a 1080i 42" plasma. I don't have any complaints. [/quotee0056ad3b4]

What model number do you have? I am also looking at TVs and am debating between a cheaper, but bigger DLP or with a smaller plasma. It seems that all of the DLPs I have seen only get a 768 vertical resolution...

How long have you had yours?

andyjeep

05-06-2006 17:50:57

DLP

Brok3n_Sword

05-06-2006 17:55:03

[quote86fad1c6b6="PsychoAU"][quote86fad1c6b6="Peinecone"]I have a 1080i 42" plasma. I don't have any complaints. [/quote86fad1c6b6]

What model number do you have? I am also looking at TVs and am debating between a cheaper, but bigger DLP or with a smaller plasma. It seems that all of the DLPs I have seen only get a 768 vertical resolution...

How long have you had yours?[/quote86fad1c6b6]

I've found the same. It seems DLP tvs only have 768 up until a certain price range, a fairly high one.

jy3

05-06-2006 18:14:45

we LOVE our tv we purchased in november for 33%off
http//www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=186

Peinecone

06-06-2006 03:55:47

[quotefc6f23e65f="PsychoAU"][quotefc6f23e65f="Peinecone"]I have a 1080i 42" plasma. [/quotefc6f23e65f]

What model number do you have?
How long have you had yours?[/quotefc6f23e65f]

http//www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hdm12.shtml

I have had it about 6 months. Only thing i don't like is, to select an input, i have to cycle through all of them, instead of just pushing a button for each one.

dmorris68

06-06-2006 06:10:19

It's not the cheapest option, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out what I consider to be the best quality HDTV picture you can buy at the consumer level Sony's SXRD.

The SXRD line, based upon the $20,000 Qualia line, had the best picture of any set I looked at when I was shopping around. I had originally settled on DLP but once I saw an SXRD, that was it. It looks much better than LCD and even better than plasma. You can't hang it on a wall, but the 60" model I have is only about 18" deep. They haver recently dropped in price again, as well.

If SXRD are out of your price range, then I concur about DLP. For the money, that's the best choice AS LONG AS the viewer isn't sensitive to the rainbow effect. Higher speed color wheels have minimized the effect for most people, but some can still see it. Samsung makes the best DLP's in my opinion (and most others).

You might check out AVSForum for further guidance.

iamzim

06-06-2006 06:47:02

If you look on cnet you'll see a ton of info about the differences between the multiple types of hdtvs (crt, dlp, lcos, lcd, plasma). Of all of them, you'll get the best black levels from the CRT tvs, but they're pretty large and heavy! Next in terms of that wold be the dlp. my parents and my brother each have an lcd projection tv. they're only about 13 inches deep, so they're not that big, and the picture is great...but not as good as the dlps. also, my parents are on their 4th light bulb in the past year and a half, so if you're getting the tv from someplace like bestbuy, and it uses the lamp, (lcd projection, dlp, lcos) i'd definately get that extended service plan!

PsychoAU

06-06-2006 07:44:00

So it seems DLP is the way to go. But which manufacturer is best? I liked the Samsungs because they have RGB inputs for computers. But how does their image quality hold up to others? I haven't had a Samsung TV so I don't know how durable they are...

dmorris68

06-06-2006 11:02:28

[quote81b8fa6d6d="PsychoAU"]So it seems DLP is the way to go. But which manufacturer is best? I liked the Samsungs because they have RGB inputs for computers. But how does their image quality hold up to others? I haven't had a Samsung TV so I don't know how durable they are...[/quote81b8fa6d6d]
As I said, Samsung rules the DLP roost. Theirs consistently get the highest marks and reviews of DLP sets. And Samsung does have 1080p DLP sets, but they're almost as expensive as an SXRD, which is better. For example, the 50" Samsung 1080p DLP model retails for $2700, the 50" SXRD for $3000.

Also, if you're interested in hooking up a computer, you don't want RGB. You want (preferably) DVI, VGA, or HDMI.

h3x

06-06-2006 12:04:17

[quote2507a96f52="dmorris68"][quote2507a96f52="PsychoAU"]So it seems DLP is the way to go. But which manufacturer is best? I liked the Samsungs because they have RGB inputs for computers. But how does their image quality hold up to others? I haven't had a Samsung TV so I don't know how durable they are...[/quote2507a96f52]
As I said, Samsung rules the DLP roost. Theirs consistently get the highest marks and reviews of DLP sets. And Samsung does have 1080p DLP sets, but they're almost as expensive as an SXRD, which is better. For example, the 50" Samsung 1080p DLP model retails for $2700, the 50" SXRD for $3000.

Also, if you're interested in hooking up a computer, you don't want RGB. You want (preferably) DVI, VGA, or HDMI.[/quote2507a96f52]

Samsung DLPs are the only way to go if you don't care about those grainy-looking plasma TVs.

I got a 42" Samsung DLP and I love it. I have no regrets (except I wish that I could actually receive HD programming).

Peinecone

06-06-2006 12:16:49

Ya don't worry about RGB connectors. Go with HDMI and/or DVI.

h3x

06-06-2006 12:58:13

The only difference between Component (RGB) connectors and HDMI is that Component connectors have 5 plugs instead of 1. That's the only difference..

Oh, and it doesn't have that stupid High Definition Content Protection on it.

In terms of quality and performance, there is no difference.

Peinecone

06-06-2006 13:01:46

But if he is looking to connect to a computer, HDMI (which can easily convert to DVI) or DVI is the best bet.

h3x

06-06-2006 13:05:34

[quotecf0bcb040a="Peinecone"]But if he is looking to connect to a computer, HDMI (which can easily convert to DVI) or DVI is the best bet.[/quotecf0bcb040a]

I misread that.. I thought he was going to capture content off the TV using a set-top box..

But yeah.. I'd go with DVI (with HDMI, you'll just need a damn adaptor or a really high end video card [if they even make cards with HDMI])

PsychoAU

06-06-2006 13:23:10

Actually, I didn't mean RGB... that was a mistake. I meant they have VGA connectors. And I was only thinking about that because they usually only have one HDMI and maybe a DVI. It is becoming more rare to even find DVI connections anymore since HDMI is taking over so much.

And is it true that DLPs don't get burn-in? If I am hooking a computer to it, I would really be concerned about that (with the static task bar for example). Essentially I would use the TV as an HD TV and as a high res computer monitor. So I would want to run my comp through it full time.

dmorris68

06-06-2006 13:55:22

[quotee8ba91afb8="h3x"]The only difference between Component (RGB) connectors and HDMI is that Component connectors have 5 plugs instead of 1. That's the only difference..[/quotee8ba91afb8]
Whoa, not true. Composite and HDMI/DVI are very different, both in signal technology and in quality.

The only difference between the video signals of HDMI and [be8ba91afb8]DVI[/be8ba91afb8] is the connector configuration. HDMI also adds audio and DRM (HDCP) capability.

However, Component video shares no similarity with HDMI/DVI. Component is an analog RGB source. HDMI/DVI is a digital signal (aside from the analog DVI-A conversion from VGA, which many sets won't accept). I have seen striking differences between composite and digital signal formats -- they are definitely not the same. Of course, feed a crappy signal to both, and you'll get no difference. But feed a quality signal to both, using a quality TV, and you'll notice a distinct improvement on the digital inputs.

It's like people saying EDTV looks just as good as HDTV. Not true at all, particularly to the discerning eye. EDTV might look [ie8ba91afb8]acceptable[/ie8ba91afb8] and even great, but put the two side by side and you'll notice a significant difference. Same is true with component vs HDMI/DVI.

dmorris68

06-06-2006 14:00:15

[quotef0b32beb8f="PsychoAU"]Actually, I didn't mean RGB... that was a mistake. I meant they have VGA connectors. And I was only thinking about that because they usually only have one HDMI and maybe a DVI. It is becoming more rare to even find DVI connections anymore since HDMI is taking over so much.[/quotef0b32beb8f]
My SXRD has two HDMI and one VGA connector. The Panasonic plasma freebie I just got also has a VGA connector. So they're still out there.

[quotef0b32beb8f]And is it true that DLPs don't get burn-in? If I am hooking a computer to it, I would really be concerned about that (with the static task bar for example). Essentially I would use the TV as an HD TV and as a high res computer monitor. So I would want to run my comp through it full time.[/quotef0b32beb8f]
While it is technically possible for ANY television/monitor display suffer from image retention -- even LCD's -- it is typically not permanent in non-CRT and non-plasma technologies. DLP is particularly safe since it uses a single mirror per pixel, and mirrors don't suffer from image retention.

nobody2000

06-06-2006 15:07:18

www.slickdeals.net

On the right hand of the screen they rotate 3 featured televisions. Look out for 42" plasma HDTV and buy it...the deals are great, and usually the brands are good. Verify that the stores that are selling are legit, as the occasional scam site gets in there.

andyjeep

06-06-2006 18:55:38

I have a 52" Toshiba DLP TV and its pretty tite especialy in hd