I have a few questions about buying a cellular telephone

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=40091

geej86

27-05-2006 15:30:24

1. Being 19 years old, am I able to walk into a phone store and purchase a cell phone and contract? I have no credit history (do they take into account your credit? Before I turned 18 my phones were under my moms name.

2. the phone I want to buy is the Motorola Q through verizon wireless. When you buy it with a data package (total $80/month) the phone is $200. Otherwise it is $300. Would they let me sign up for the $80/month plan and if I decided to change it after 1-2 months let me downgrade to a basic $30-40 talk only plan?

thanks

edit also, here is the motorola Q, it doesn't help answer a question but it's HOT!
http//www.motorola.com/mot/image/13/13973_MotImage.jpg[" alt=""/img896657d759]

dmorris68

27-05-2006 15:37:06

Most states allow 19yo to enter into a contract, but it's easy enough to determine with a phone call.

Without any credit they will probably want a depost. Several years ago my daughter tried to get a phone on her own when she turned 18 or 19, and they wanted like $300. This was Cingular, don't know anything about Verizon.

As to the discount on the phone, that usually requires a contract and if you break the terms of the contract, they can charge you a pretty hefty fee. Pay attention to what you sign, and ask if you are held to the terms of the plan through the entire contract length, or if you can change plans later. With Cingular, when you sign a contract to get a phone discount, they require you to maintain a minimum plan level, but you are free to change plans around as much as you want, provided you stay above that level (I think it's a $30/month).

geej86

27-05-2006 15:41:23

sweet, thanks for the info. I think i'm going to call my local verizon right now actually.

t.money

27-05-2006 15:42:23

Perhaps I can be of assistance. With the Q, or any other verizon wireless data device, they WON'T sell you the device without a data plan becuase it constantly checks the network, regardless of if you're actually using the line. So no, you can't downgrade it. The q will be $219 for new customers with no previous plans and if you purchase a data plan, or $419 for full retail (existing customers)

I can't comment on the credit question because my credit has always been good and I had no problems with Verizon (deposit or what have you)

geej86

27-05-2006 16:04:58

okay, first I called verizon and the rep said if you're over 18 they will sell you whatever. Second, she said that "verizon wants to meet your changing needs" so you can change your plan whenever you like.

t.money i hope you arn't right because I really want that phone. I've read at more than one source that you will be able to purchase the Q without a data plan but you will not receive the 100 rebate (so basically it costs $300 with a talk plan). Also, as far as I know the Motorola Q does not feature a 'push email system' that gives immediate emails (like the blackberry), I believe it is like many other phones, able to check for new email at a set interval shortest being 5 minutes. yea i've been reading about this phone

t.money

27-05-2006 16:28:25

The shortest interval is 3 minutes. And no, it doesn't have push ( Thats the biggest gripe I have with my 700w.

No, you won't be able to get it without the data plan. I guarentee you that. I own three pda phones with verizon (treo, blackberry, htc apache) and they all had to have their own data plans - they WOULD NOT sell them to me without the data plan (the 10mb or unlimited) even though all I use the xv6700 (htc) for is taking notes - never internet or email.

Take my word for it.

dmorris68

27-05-2006 16:39:47

[quote3bf4c7f0a1="t.money"]The shortest interval is 3 minutes. And no, it doesn't have push ( Thats the biggest gripe I have with my 700w.

No, you won't be able to get it without the data plan. I guarentee you that. I own three pda phones with verizon (treo, blackberry, htc apache) and they all had to have their own data plans - they WOULD NOT sell them to me without the data plan (the 10mb or unlimited) even though all I use the xv6700 (htc) for is taking notes - never internet or email.

Take my word for it.[/quote3bf4c7f0a1]
FWIW, Cingular will sell PDA/Smart phones without data plans. I recently bought a Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard/Qtec 9100/etc) and didn't get a data plan. Didn't want one -- I use it on the WiFi network at home and work, and when I go mobile and need to get online I just use the ala carte Edge/GMRS dialup.

t.money

27-05-2006 16:50:59

liI meant one minute intervals, which is what I've got it set at for my pop emails. I also only fetch headers + 3kb messages.
Problem with verizon is that it always tries to fetch data from evdo (vzw's edge) regardless of if you use wifi, if you don't even use it ect.

It still charges you even if you use your own wireless network.

( verizon.

The 8125 is a pretty nice phone though - its very similar to the apache in build and I like the keyboard - works great with my skinny ass hands.