xbox 360 VGA cable?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=39886

iamzim

24-05-2006 05:55:31

Has anyone here used this cable?? I've heard it's good, and I would like to hook it up to my monitor so i can get 1280x1024, instead of my SDTV. However, there are 3 different models, 2 offbrand, and 1 MS. the offbrand ones are $20, and the MS is $40. I would probably also be running it through a switch so i can use my PC too, without having to disconnect cables all the time.

Does anybody here have a similar setup?? I'm trying to find the best solution. I've heard of people using a VGA splitter cable, but with that, i wouldn't be able to have my PC on at the same time, so unless there's one with a switch on the cable, i dont think that's a good option.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions.

KeithA

24-05-2006 06:00:37

I've been using the Microsoft cable as well as the component cables that came with the system. The VGA is noticeably better when you quickly switch back and forth between VGA and component, but I haven't been disappointed by the component picture.

I actually need to get a switcher too, becuase I've started using my display with my laptop.

dmorris68

24-05-2006 06:03:24

The MS branded stuff is just overpriced. The generic/off-brand versions will work just as well.

You'll need a KVM switch, there are some semi-decent cheap ones available from Belkin and IOGear.

iamzim

24-05-2006 06:16:36

i don't actually need the full KVM, because i'll only be using the V! there was one at walmart for $24, but i'm afraid that it might be too cheap, and my connection will be affected by it.

http//www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3609875

Any thoughts on that?

as for the cables, i think i'll probably go with the off-brand and use the extra i save from that for the kvm. my main concern, obviously is the quality of the picture.

dmorris68

24-05-2006 07:25:19

You tend to get what you pay for. )

However some inexpensive ones are okay. The problem is usually with crappy cable quality. If the VGA cable is thick and shielded, with ferrite cores at both ends, you would probably be fine. Cheap KVM's & cables will cause seroius ghosting and interference at higher resolutions. I had one KVM once that was almost unuseable past 1024x768, but things have improved since then. The great thing about Wal-Mart is that it should be easy to return if you don't like it.

Allen626

24-05-2006 16:21:33

[quoteda1ed391ef="dmorris68"]You tend to get what you pay for. )

However some inexpensive ones are okay. The problem is usually with crappy cable quality. If the VGA cable is thick and shielded, with ferrite cores at both ends, you would probably be fine. Cheap KVM's & cables will cause seroius ghosting and interference at higher resolutions. I had one KVM once that was almost unuseable past 1024x768, but things have improved since then. The great thing about Wal-Mart is that it should be easy to return if you don't like it.[/quoteda1ed391ef]

QFT when I was shopping for KVMs the only good ones I could find where too expensive then what I wanted. I couldnt find anything that was under 30$ that would do the job so I just gave up.