dvd burning problem...need help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=39723

topbillin1

21-05-2006 17:18:19

I'm learning about dvd backups and so forth, anyways I downloaded a movie and I encoded it with winavi (avi to dvd) and the problem is that I cannot view the dvd in a ps2 and my friends dvd player but I can watch the movie in my portable dvd player and it my computers dvd player.

I would like to know if the cause of the problem is that clone dvd used pal over ntsc or is they're something else I am messing up on.

I mainly use Nero 7, clone dvd, winavi and nero encode, the movies are in avi format, also what is dye and how do I check to find it?

good2speed

21-05-2006 17:50:48

http//www.videohelp.com/

myy intitial response is that some players (ps2) may be of a version that only supports a sepcific type of media DVD-R not the + type.

compuguru

21-05-2006 19:12:17

Not sure if the PS2 supports Pal or not, but if your in the US, the standard is NTSC. It's PAL if you're in Europe I beleive.

topbillin1

21-05-2006 19:24:40

Thanks, I use Clone dvd and since I'm in the us it should read on the ps2, maybe it's the disk..

For anyone that buys blank dvds, what are some good brands at walmart?

compuguru

21-05-2006 19:28:52

I don't know if the brand matters, but I always by DVD[b4d19f8d064]-[/b4d19f8d064]R. The Sony ones I've bought have given me no trobule.

dmorris68

21-05-2006 19:32:39

First, the PS2 is very picky (some revisions moreso than others) with DVD copies.

If you have a burner/firmware that supports it, try using DVD+R and set the booktype to DVD-ROM. If +R won't work, use -R and burn at a slow speed, around 4x.

There aren't many good brands at Wal-Mart unless you can still find Maxell "Made in Japan." WM was selling these in the hub printable variety in 25 or 30 count spindles, but not all are still made in Japan. The Japanese media are Taiyo Yuden, the best media you can buy. Made in Taiwan is a total crapshoot, with most of these being made by CMC Magnetics and pretty much junk. If your WM happens to carry Ritek, they are liusuallyli good but not as good nor nearly as consistent as TY.

Of course different burners (and firmware versions) prefer different media, so check out your burner in the videohelp.com link previously mentioned. It should contain user reviews of what media has the best results in that burner.

topbillin1

21-05-2006 20:19:13

[quote93d4f4b346="dmorris68"]First, the PS2 is very picky (some revisions moreso than others) with DVD copies.

If you have a burner/firmware that supports it, try using DVD+R and set the booktype to DVD-ROM. If +R won't work, use -R and burn at a slow speed, around 4x.

There aren't many good brands at Wal-Mart unless you can still find Maxell "Made in Japan." WM was selling these in the hub printable variety in 25 or 30 count spindles, but not all are still made in Japan. The Japanese media are Taiyo Yuden, the best media you can buy. Made in Taiwan is a total crapshoot, with most of these being made by CMC Magnetics and pretty much junk. If your WM happens to carry Ritek, they are liusuallyli good but not as good nor nearly as consistent as TY.

Of course different burners (and firmware versions) prefer different media, so check out your burner in the videohelp.com link previously mentioned. It should contain user reviews of what media has the best results in that burner.[/quote93d4f4b346]

I use dvd+r, I bought a 50 pack from Office depot, it's actually the in store OD brand.

About the burner, Nero should be able to do all that stuff correct?

Also, Compusa, Best Buy should carry some decent ones, if not then Ebay should work for media....

dmorris68

21-05-2006 20:38:18

[quote268c6afc89="topbillin1"]I use dvd+r, I bought a 50 pack from Office depot, it's actually the in store OD brand.

Also, Compusa, Best Buy should carry some decent ones, if not then Ebay should work for media....[/quote268c6afc89]
Office Depot brand media is complete and utter crap. Don't store anything on there that you intend to keep for years. They're famous for "CD rot" where the dye disintegrates over time. 'Nuff said.

Burner means the drive itself. As far as burning software goes, yes recent versions of Nero can set booktype on +R to DVD-ROM, however your burner firmware must support it.

CompUSA and BB sometimes carry good media, but not always. The problem with buying media at retail is that the retail brand means almost nothing -- most brands OEM media from a variety of manufacturers and you don't always know what you'll get. The only safe bet to know when retail media is quality, is to look for the "Made in Japan" on the label. Made anywhere else is a total crapshoot.

If you're serious about buying quality media, buy from the well known online media stores. I've personally purchased quality media, including Taiyo Yuden (the best), from all of the following

http//www.allmediaoutlet.com
http//www.meritline.com
http//www.supermediastore.com

topbillin1

21-05-2006 20:43:11

[quotef1534d6255="dmorris68"][quotef1534d6255="topbillin1"]I use dvd+r, I bought a 50 pack from Office depot, it's actually the in store OD brand.

Also, Compusa, Best Buy should carry some decent ones, if not then Ebay should work for media....[/quotef1534d6255]
Office Depot brand media is complete and utter crap. Don't store anything on there that you intend to keep for years. They're famous for "CD rot" where the dye disintegrates over time. 'Nuff said.

Burner means the drive itself. As far as burning software goes, yes recent versions of Nero can set booktype on +R to DVD-ROM, however your burner firmware must support it.

CompUSA and BB sometimes carry good media, but not always. The problem with buying media at retail is that the retail brand means almost nothing -- most brands OEM media from a variety of manufacturers and you don't always know what you'll get. The only safe bet to know when retail media is quality, is to look for the "Made in Japan" on the label. Made anywhere else is a total crapshoot.

If you're serious about buying quality media, buy from the well known online media stores. I've personally purchased quality media, including Taiyo Yuden (the best), from all of the following

http//www.allmediaoutlet.com
http//www.meritline.com
http//www.supermediastore.com[/quotef1534d6255]

I've burned a couple movies to the OD discs already, should I just trash them? And a couple more questions and I truly appreciate your help.

1. So what discs do you recommend? I'd like to stay under $25.00
2. (off topic) Do you know of a software that can burn my dvds to my hard drive, then to avi format?

dmorris68

21-05-2006 20:52:24

[quoteadc21f437e="topbillin1"]I've burned a couple movies to the OD discs already, should I just trash them? And a couple more questions and I truly appreciate your help.

1. So what discs do you recommend? I'd like to stay under $25.00
2. (off topic) Do you know of a software that can burn my dvds to my hard drive, then to avi format?[/quoteadc21f437e]
If you plan to keep the movies on the OD discs for awhile, re-burn them to better media once you get it. If you're just burning to watch once or twice, there's no need.

As I said, Taiyo Yuden are the only discs I pay money for. TY and MCC (Matsushita Chemical Corp) are both made in Japan and are the best quality media you can get. If you go to those links I posted, you'll find Taiyo Yuden.

http//www.videohelp.com or http//www.doom9.org will have plenty of articles and downloads for transcoding DVD's. You will need something to decrypt the DVD first (I recommend DVDFab Decryptor, it's free) then you'll need something like NeroVision Express, WinAVI, TMPeg, or any number of other transcode utilities to convert to AVI, DivX, or whatever.

topbillin1

21-05-2006 20:55:21

thanks, I've gotten help also here.

http//forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/344860

told me to get some Verbatim - 50 for 14.99

dmorris68

21-05-2006 20:58:35

Verbatim's are lioftenli good, but sometimes crap. YMMV, but you're probably okay with that. If I had to buy retail, I'd buy Maxell and Verbatim. Memorex and store-brand I avoid like the plague.

topbillin1

21-05-2006 20:59:37

oh crap quick question, the disk speed says 16x but my burner will burn it at 8x meaning the disk speed means nothing? It only says how fast it can burn at? And with burning, the slower the better.

topbillin1

21-05-2006 21:00:13

I got it, don't worry I was right about my last post....

compuguru

21-05-2006 21:05:43

Ya, 8x is the max your burner can go, and 16x is the max that your disc can handle. Slower means less chance for errors and such, I think.

topbillin1

21-05-2006 21:10:53

Last question and I'll order online right damn now...

Basically just buy some dvd-r over dvd+r and get a lower speed 8x and I'm good to go, I don't have to worry about the rest of the crap...

Of course get a good brand like ritex or tayo

tylerc

21-05-2006 21:16:16

I use Dynex DVD+Rs.

$3 for a 75 pack (+25 CD-Rs) the day after Thanksgiving P

dmorris68

22-05-2006 05:39:48

[quote35f5f03dba="topbillin1"]Last question and I'll order online right damn now...

Basically just buy some dvd-r over dvd+r and get a lower speed 8x and I'm good to go, I don't have to worry about the rest of the crap...

Of course get a good brand like ritex or tayo[/quote35f5f03dba]
-R vs +R depends on what you're going to do with it and the equipment you have. It's a good idea to get at least a sampling of both until you're sure.

In the early days of DVD burning, -R was more compatible with set-top DVD players than +R. However, with the recent development of booktype settings, +R is sometimes more compatible now. You can't set booktype on -R media -- it will always showup to the player as a -R, and if the player doesn't want to allow that, then it won't. Setting the booktype on +R media to DVD-ROM fakes the player into thinking this is a real, i.e. pressed, DVD media and provided it's laser pickup is sensitive enough (you need a more sensitive laser to read burned media vs. pressed media) as most all recent hardware is, then compatibility can actually exceed -R.

So, there isn't one right answer for you. I tend to prefer -R and burn it probably 90% of the time, but I always keep some +R on hand as well. I have a 1st gen PS2 and haven't tried to play burned media in it since shortly after I got it (the day they came out). -R playback was very spotty, I never tried +R with a booktype after that.

burritopunk

22-05-2006 09:45:34

I've used TDK +Rs for years and have had no problems.

dmorris68

22-05-2006 10:53:08

[quotefef15fec3e="burritopunk"]I've used TDK +Rs for years and have had no problems.[/quotefef15fec3e]
Yep, TDK is generally a good brand too, but it can still depend on where they're from. I've seen TDK made by TDK, Taiyo Yuden, and CMC. The former two being good and the latter being mediocre at best. Still usually a safe bet if you must buy retail.

I do have some early TDK +RW media that is extremely finicky though, to the point I don't use them anymore. They would never read reliably in most drives I tried them in.

good2speed

22-05-2006 11:31:36

also remember its not a good idea to play a DVD +/- R in a PS2.

Can do it but from my experience you can ruin the laser and end up with a defective machine and need to replace the laser. Always use a cheap stand alone DVD player to view your own rips.

What Ive also done is find a player that works and watch all the movies off of that. If friends want a DVD I tell em its at your own risk I offer no tech support except try your computer.