I need help with a virus

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=39581

freedesktoppc

19-05-2006 12:34:58

I seem to have gotten some type of virus, it has not really slown down my PC, but these are my symptoms which have made using my computer a pain in the ass

I will click on something and nothing happens, gotta wait a few secs for my click to finally "catch"
clicking on links takes a few tries
etc.

So I have booted into safe mode ran ad-aware, spybot, and avg, and panda online scan. Avg found one "trojan" and deleted it. After I boot back into regular mode, the problem seems to be reappearing again.

Anyone have any experience with a virus like this or knows what it is? Or any recommendations to fix it?
+kma for help

ilanbg

19-05-2006 13:03:44

Download Norton antivirus 2006 from limewire or a torrent or something.

freedesktoppc

19-05-2006 13:10:36

I don't mind buying it, but from my experience real viruses like these need to be removed manually, no antivirus is usually better than others. So unless someone has solved this problem w/ norton, I'd like to stay away from the bloatware.

manOFice

19-05-2006 13:15:55

Get F-Secure =P

kidd2108

19-05-2006 13:16:56

Norton isnt that good nowadays,but u can try a free scan as well. Do you have a firewall? I use doctor alex along Spybot and Adware SE.
http//www.download.com/Doctor-Alex/3004-8022_4-10469526.html?tag=tab_scr

A couple of weeks ago it found a keylogger that panda platinum,spybot and adware didnt find.
Also does your computer sound as if its running a program or is it silent?

JOSHBOX

19-05-2006 13:35:52

try a free online scan from bitdefender in safe mode, if that dosent work, pull your hdd and scan it remotely from another machine with bitdefender, kaspersky or pc cillin, best 3 anti virus IMO.

theysayjump

19-05-2006 14:06:12

It seems like I'm saying this every couple of days.

Kaspersky is consistently performing better than nearly all of the other AV's.

akalic

19-05-2006 14:57:41

I recommend using AVG and avast! for a one time quick scan to get rid of most viruses before installing something permanent like kaspersky for protection in the future..o

dmorris68

19-05-2006 15:03:29

Norton is the debbil. It's a worse virus than the virii it's supposed to catch. I'm continually fixing clients machines by removing Norton and installing AVG which works much better.

I'm a huge AVG fan, and it's free.

I'm guessing you have more wrong than JUST a virus. That, or you having something embedded so deep that the regular tools aren't helping. When it gets to that point you have two choices

1. Format and re-install Windows. That's the easiest (and sometimes only) way for people who don't like or know how to manually clean.

2. Manually clean. This involves manual registry editing and use of something like HiJack This. Beware this isn't for the neophyte because you can nuke the wrong thing and cause all sorts of problems. I can clean pretty much anything this way, but often resort to a format just because it takes less effort.

KameksCurse

19-05-2006 16:04:15

I agree with David - don't even try the manual clean unless you really know what you are doing. You can turn an annoyance into a disaster! Format and re-installing the operating system will get rid of just about anything.

mpj31

19-05-2006 18:09:36

get hijack this...look at ur registry...etc etc.

dont post on these forums...there are others like computerannoyances that can help you if you post a hijackthis log.

Along with spybot and norton/avg this should work.

Also look at what programs start..in your contrl+alt+delete panel. In xp its a little bit harder, but in 98 and 2000 it was a bit easier.

Deleting your registry...type in regedit in run, then go to local disk>current version>software>microsoft>windows>currentversion>run and look at some things you dont recognize and search...

There oculd be some parts messed up in this post but u get the gist.