NetFlix vs. BlockBuster Online.... which one is better?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=39302

Blink182=Gone

15-05-2006 16:13:13

ok, quickly

I'm wanting to rent dvds online using either NetFlix or BlockBuster. Which service is better? I know that NetFlix puts their customers that rent more frequently on the bottom of the list for new dvd rentals. What about shipping times for each service (I live about 2 hours East of Columbus).

I realize that Blockbuster gives away some coupons every once in a while, is that the only difference? shock

Wolfeman

15-05-2006 16:17:06

I perfer Netflix but its cool you get some free in-store rental with Blockbuster...

Blink182=Gone

15-05-2006 16:25:26

[quote27c408a24c="Wolfeman"]I perfer Netflix but its cool you get some free in-store rental with Blockbuster...[/quote27c408a24c]

What's the average shipping times? Say I order a DVD from Netflix right now...when would u usually get it?

Veek

15-05-2006 16:27:04

Netflix.

Wolfeman

15-05-2006 16:27:07

I'd say you'd get it by Wed. Netflix was faster for me but I can see it being different depending on where you live...

Veek

15-05-2006 16:27:41

FYI, if they send out a movie today, I'd get it tomorrow. If I'd send them one today, I'd get the next one by Wed.

bballp6699

15-05-2006 16:30:21

I preferred Blockbuster simply for the print out coupons. Netflix was faster at first, but as the month went on for my trial they got slower. Netflix has more to choose from though.

Blink182=Gone

15-05-2006 16:33:32

[quoted83296e569="Veek"]FYI, if they send out a movie today, I'd get it tomorrow. If I'd send them one today, I'd get the next one by Wed.[/quoted83296e569]

Veek, do u rent frequently from Netflix? Have you ever had them push you down the holding list for new movies?

phoebe7

15-05-2006 16:53:20

I liked Netflix more. They had a shipping center right in my city, and Blockbuster's was out of state. So therefore Netflix was a lot faster. They also have a bigger selection.

My only complaint is when I'd be renting TV shows on DVD and they sent me them out of order. This could be because it was out or something. But anyways, go with Netflix. I mean the whole point people do online DVD rentals is because they don't want to go to the store. So while the coupons from Blockbuster are nice I wouldn't really be putting them to use. Plus, no matter how long you hold on to the mail rentals there are no late fees. With in store there is.

Blink182=Gone

15-05-2006 16:55:44

[quote9afb125f30="phoebe7"]I liked Netflix more. They had a shipping center right in my city, and Blockbuster's was out of state. So therefore Netflix was a lot faster. They also have a bigger selection.

My only complaint is when I'd be renting TV shows on DVD and they sent me them out of order. This could be because it was out or something. But anyways, go with Netflix. I mean the whole point people do online DVD rentals is because they don't want to go to the store. So while the coupons from Blockbuster are nice I wouldn't really be putting them to use. Plus, no matter how long you hold on to the mail rentals there are no late fees. With in store there is.[/quote9afb125f30]

apparently netflix is the better choice. I'm glad I asked for some opinions, cause i was actually thinking more towards BlockBuster (don't ask why).

Anyone with any comments, please post D

dmorris68

15-05-2006 17:00:10

Well, I'll be the odd one and say BlockBuster, at least based on speed. Not because I've tried NetFlix -- I haven't -- but my son-in-law did and said NetFlix was slower. BB gets me DVD's in 1-2 days, and they must have some system integration or agreement with the USPS, because I can drop a DVD in the mail at 4pm today and tomorrow morning get an e-mail saying they're shipping my next movie. No way in hell they got it that fast since it's in the next state, so they must get notified when USPS scans it in.

But as was mentioned, it probably depends on your location relative to the nearest service center.

BTW BlockBuster was my very first offer even done on a freebie site (freeipods.com) well over a year ago, and I'm still a subscriber! No c-word for me! )

jy3

15-05-2006 17:00:52

we tried both. my wife did a netflix trial, i did a blockbuster. blockbuster was great for the instore coupons but netflix was SUPER fast for us for getting us films and saying they got our movies.
a big difference is that if u stop the service u have a month with blockbuster and a 1 week with netflix to return the flicks.

ajasax

15-05-2006 22:58:40

Another vote for Netflix. I currently use the service and it's pretty fast. I can get a new movie from 2-3 days (the closest distr. center is in Denver), which is okay. The return trip seems to take a little longer though. As for shows/series, they always got them to me together in succession. I would never use Blockbuster since I've had bad experiences with the physical rental store. They keep sending us a bill for overdue fees roll

stackmjwiz

15-05-2006 23:11:57

Netflix generally arrives faster than Blockbuster (1 day for me). And so far in my experience with Netflix, movies are almost always available (unlike Blockbuster) I also like the Netflix website interface better.

Blockbuster has the in-store coupons. Ships out pretty quickly.

xXHasek99

16-05-2006 01:55:42

blockbuster lies! you'd think they have something, they show release date or whatever, but when you sign up, they give you the finger. NetFlix for life... i've used it for a year or so, nice service, yeah they hold your order for an extra 24 hours occasionally... but overall they do what they say.

RM200

16-05-2006 04:42:58

i dont know blockbuster online is now but when it first started they never had any new movies in stock while netflix always had the movies i wanted and came the next day.

dmorris68

16-05-2006 05:04:03

Heh, I like how nearly all posts are for NetFlix, but the poll is tied 7/7. )

Narakukuku

16-05-2006 06:59:08

Netflix is faster in my opinion and have what seems to be a wider selection. If you're like me and you like renting obscure foreign film and performing art DVDs in addition to popular films this just works out better. I've been a member of blockbuster for 2 months and I've noticed they have a habit of listing films as available when in fact they are not. Instead, they end up showing up weeks later. But if you live nearby a blockbuster maybe it is the better choice for you.