*Official Photography Questions Thread?*

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=38889

tjwor

08-05-2006 20:59:51

It seems like i'm making a new thread about it every other day so can we just have a main one that I (and other photography noobs) can ask questions in?

Ok, i'm shooting with a Sony W-7, is there any way to have a shutter speed setting of "B", so I can just have it open, A storm was moving in this evening and I wanted to get some lightning pics, right now on the night setting the shutter stays open for a I think 1 sec, but that doesn't work too well with lightning shots, any way to do this? If so Please let me know! +Karma for help! D

http//www.ams-design.info/media/SONY-DSC-W7z.jpg[" alt=""/img9e7999ea05]

hopefully you can see the setting buttons well enough to know if it is possible or how to do it D

Thanks again!

unknown uchiha

08-05-2006 21:01:57

That's a nice camera there. However, I suck at digital photography. I know like jack about it >< I had photography last year and still have my Minolta SLR that I bought. I feel that it was a waste of money though since I don't even use it anymore...

Veek

08-05-2006 21:03:46

You need an all manual SLR to be able to have complete control over your images. I wouldn't waste my time on semi-manual point-and-shoot cameras.

unknown uchiha

08-05-2006 21:07:48

liCorrection I have a FILM SLR =P I should sell it or do something productive with it soon...

CollidgeGraduit

09-05-2006 03:44:22

Yeah, I think to have any luck with something like a lightning picture, you need full control over your shutter speed and aperature. I haven't been able to try any lightning pics, but I bet that due to a longer shutter speed, depending on the time of day, you'd need to put a 2x neutral density filter on there to keep from overexposing the shot.

It's a slippery slope, I'm finding out. The more you learn about photography, the more that you find out you still NEED to learn. The more equipment you buy, the more you find out you need to get a better shot.

tjwor

09-05-2006 07:36:54

I was taking them when it was completely dark out, so I think it would have been fine to keep it open for much more than 1 sec... maybe i'll invest in a more expensive camera sometime... shrug

CollidgeGraduit

09-05-2006 09:10:03

Silly question did you use a tripod?

tjwor

09-05-2006 10:13:21

[quoted22d50fc3a="CollidgeGraduit"]Silly question did you use a tripod?[/quoted22d50fc3a]

No, i didn't have one, but I sat on the ground against a car and propped it on my knee with my arms reasted, so it wasn't a matter of motion...

CollidgeGraduit

09-05-2006 10:59:49

[quote3b678f6871="tjwor"][quote3b678f6871="CollidgeGraduit"]Silly question did you use a tripod?[/quote3b678f6871]

No, i didn't have one, but I sat on the ground against a car and propped it on my knee with my arms reasted, so it wasn't a matter of motion...[/quote3b678f6871]

You'd be surprised how much motion shows up, even if you're propped up like that, especially in a 1 second exposure. Even in a 1/2 second, or 1/10 of a second, it can be noticed.

theysayjump

09-05-2006 11:19:12

Yarly.

I have a Tripod but it's a pile o' shite. Even when I have my camera on it and it's as tight as possible on the Tripod, when I hit the shutter button for a long exposure it pushes the camera down slightly and when I let go, it goes back to it's original position.

If you're seriously into photography or want to seriously get into it, do a few Freebie sites for Paypal and buy yourself the Canon Digital Rebel XT. Currently you can get it for about $700 on eBay which is a bargain considering it hasn't even been out for 1 year yet.

CollidgeGraduit

09-05-2006 12:53:24

Yeah, I need to get a small table-top tripod to take with me, for low-to-the-ground shots like this[=http//www.deviantart.com/deviation/32897012/]this. Then, I could put a ND filter on there, choose a nice big aperature, and get lots of good detail.

theysayjump

09-05-2006 13:14:33

Yup.

I believe your pictures are sharpest with an f/stop of 16, povided you have an equivelant shutter speed.

tjwor

09-05-2006 23:29:45

[quote9b5b367aaa="CollidgeGraduit"][quote9b5b367aaa="tjwor"][quote9b5b367aaa="CollidgeGraduit"]Silly question did you use a tripod?[/quote9b5b367aaa]

No, i didn't have one, but I sat on the ground against a car and propped it on my knee with my arms reasted, so it wasn't a matter of motion...[/quote9b5b367aaa]

You'd be surprised how much motion shows up, even if you're propped up like that, especially in a 1 second exposure. Even in a 1/2 second, or 1/10 of a second, it can be noticed.[/quote9b5b367aaa]

Yes, I know how much motion shows up, but since it was pitch black out and only the lightning showed up so it couldn't really see motion because it was only for the quick flash of the lightning on the few times I caught some... if it were in any light I know a tripod would be necessary...