All-In-Wonder 2006 edition? (buying a new gfx card)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=38652

mr_black

04-05-2006 10:51:37

thoughts? im looking to buy a new TV card/gfx card and i was looking around this looks decent but im not 1337 when it comes to choosing gfx cards. anywayz im wondering if its worth it or if i shud just get a tv only card or maybe some1 has a suggestion of a different card just keep in mind i work @ best buy, so i would rather buy something instore to get my ub3r 1337 discount 8) . thx in advance guys.

btw im just doing mostly web design/imaging not a gamer, and watch some videos, but i do plan on playing my PS2 on my PC screen with the card.

iamzim

04-05-2006 11:05:19

from my experience.....

I used to have an AIW 9800. I have found that the AIWs tuners are not as good as the stand alone...i'm not sure if ati has fixed this or not. I have been using the ATI TV Wonder elite, and I LOVE the thing! It has on board MPEG2 encoding, the theater 550 pro chipset. It uses NONE of your CPU to encode the mpeg 2 files. Just to test it out, I was recording a show while downloading stuff and playing Half Life 2, and I didnt drop any frames (that I noticed....and i'm pretty picky about my recordings) I have 2 of those cards in my system right now (and a 3rd for sale or trade for a 360 game) So, I Highly recommend going separate. But, like I said, as for quality of the AIWs now, i'm not sure. Hopefully someone will chime in that has one!

mr_black

04-05-2006 22:46:37

no 1 else?

jadem

05-05-2006 03:42:56

If I used the TV tuner portion of mine more often, I'd have a better answer to give you. However, I do have an ALL in Wonder (not a 2006 version) and I love it! )

I think I'll use it more when the desk and TV are not in the same room (like it was at my last apartment).

iamzim

05-05-2006 04:47:40

another question...what type of imaging are you doing?? is it just using photoshop and stuff...or are you talking about something like 3D modeling and rendering??

If you're talking about photoshop or maybe fireworks, or something, it doesnt really matter. But, if you plan on using it for 3D modeling/Rendering, I'd suggest a card with a little more kick to it, like the ATI FireGL workstation cards....but they're HELLA expensive!

mr_black

05-05-2006 12:30:18

[quote24c35f1e15="iamzim"]another question...what type of imaging are you doing?? is it just using photoshop and stuff...or are you talking about something like 3D modeling and rendering??

If you're talking about photoshop or maybe fireworks, or something, it doesnt really matter. But, if you plan on using it for 3D modeling/Rendering, I'd suggest a card with a little more kick to it, like the ATI FireGL workstation cards....but they're HELLA expensive![/quote24c35f1e15] nah i dont do Maya anymore (frikkin nerve rackin) im just doing Fireworks, Photoshop stuff and some Flash

Allen626

05-05-2006 13:10:39

Newegg prices will probaly be lower then the card with your instore discount. But I have heard good things about the AIW cards. They do not have any HD in I do not think though. The xbox 360 has a VGA adapter you can buy for it though.