My 50 inch sony Wega is messing up

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=38645

special k

04-05-2006 07:25:36

Ive had a 50 inch sony HDTV for probably 5-6 months now, and whenever I turn it on I get this greenish tint around the bottom right and top. Is there a quick solution for this, or am I going to have to use my warranty. I saw from searching google Sony doesnt accept it as a problem, and people are trying to get a class action lawsuit on them. So if anybody has this TV and can help thanks.

dmorris68

04-05-2006 07:40:13

Is it an SXRD? Does the green only appear on power up and then disappear?

My 60" SXRD -- and pretty much all of them -- has a greenish "blob" around the center of the screen for about 30-60 seconds after power on. It's normal and should go away quickly as the set warms up. A lot of people have complained about it but I don't see the big deal -- it's part of warmup and goes away in seconds. CRT's have been needing time to warmup to display correct focus and colors for years, so I don't see what the outcry is about.

Now if it's staying green all the time, then yeah you have a problem and I'd get a warranty claim going. If so, you (or Sony) might be confusing your more serious problem with the completely benign and very temporary SXRD issue I mentioned.

bballp6699

04-05-2006 07:56:40

Magnets can do that. Don't know it it relates to your problem.

dmorris68

04-05-2006 07:59:24

[quotedcd234cb37="bballp6699"]Magnets can do that. Don't know it it relates to your problem.[/quotedcd234cb37]
Magnets only affect CRT's like that.

I assumed his 6-month old Wega HD was an LCD/SXRD panel, though I could be assuming wrong. That whole ass, you, me thing. )

special k

04-05-2006 13:54:39

Yeah its the SXRD but no it stays on the whole time. Its only visible if there is white at that spot or the side gray bars when its not on stretch.

dmorris68

04-05-2006 14:25:42

[quote6c213089bb="special k"]Yeah its the SXRD but no it stays on the whole time. Its only visible if there is white at that spot or the side gray bars when its not on stretch.[/quote6c213089bb]
I remember reading about a couple of people on AVSForum complaining that their green blobs never went away, and that they got their dealer or Sony to replace the set. Virtually everybody sees the green at powerup, but like I said it should go away within a minute. Sounds like you might actually have a defective set, so I'd push for a warranty claim. Tell them that a few other people have reported similar problems and gotten it handled. Point them at AVSForums if need be.

special k

04-05-2006 14:35:43

Thanks a lot man ill do that +kma