drowned alive

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=38424

amir89630

30-04-2006 18:48:05

you guys seen that commercial for david blaine, and how he's gonna go underwater and stay their for a while. How does david blaine do it. It's gotta be fake or something. Cuz how can like someone get frozen (like he did before).

Edit i found out he's supposed to go under for 9 minutes. I think its on ABC or something.

PsychoAU

30-04-2006 18:57:23

are you flicking serious?

Bill

30-04-2006 18:59:28

Please stop posting.

ilanbg

30-04-2006 19:10:30

I think this more or less confirms his requests for a ban. He's had his chances; ban his ass.

Iloveipods2

30-04-2006 19:14:34

I've seen one video before where was some English dude that "drowned" himself for a while. It doesn't count as drowning since drowning is when your lungs fill up with a liquid. Since when they perform it, they actually just passout.

[quote59383a299e]Water entering the upper airways If water enters the airways of a conscious victim, the victim will try to cough up the water, or swallow it, thus inhaling more water involuntarily. Upon water entering the airways, both conscious and unconscious victims show laryngospasm, i.e. the Larynx or the vocal cords in the throat constrict and seal the air tube. This prevents water from entering the lungs. Due to this laryngospasm, water enters the stomach in the initial phase of drowning and very little water enters the lungs. Unfortunately, this can prevent air from entering the lungs, too. In most victims, the laryngospasm relaxes some time after unconsciousness, and water can enter the lungs; this is called wet drowning. However, about 10-15% of victims maintain this seal until cardiac arrest; this is called dry drowning as no water enters the lungs. In forensic pathology, water in the lungs indicate that the victim was still alive during drowning. The absence of water in the lungs may be either a dry drowning or a death before submersion.[/quote59383a299e]-wikipedia

so you pass out because you're recieving oxygen, not because water fills your lungs. YOu're then in a state where you're not neccesarily dead, you're (the average)brain still works for up to 7 mins without oxygen.(correct me if i'm wrong). So then the dude had two of his friends ready to just CPR him back to consciousness after, I think, 5 mins.

funny part is, the guy did it because he thought it was "art"

drummer_kew_03

30-04-2006 19:22:14

[quotec056addd6c]drowned alive[/quotec056addd6c]

Can you drown while dead?

bruman

30-04-2006 19:41:38

http//www.thatvideosite.com/view/934.html

This guy drowns himself for real

amir89630

30-04-2006 20:25:06

[quote8817b24ab0="ilanbg"]I think this more or less confirms his requests for a ban. He's had his chances; ban his ass.[/quote8817b24ab0]

ilan, chill. 8)

Tholek

30-04-2006 20:29:18

Blaine is a douchebag. The guy couldn't even hold onto Josie Maran.

mnx12

30-04-2006 20:31:11

i liked david blaine when he did street magic, and now all he does are these big stunts and they are lame.

johnjimjones

30-04-2006 20:32:44

[quote0bc716dcc3="mnx12"]i liked david blaine when he did street magic, and now all he does are these big stunts and they are lame.[/quote0bc716dcc3]
I agree, between this and that stupid hanging iceblock he's gone downhill.

syriandoode

30-04-2006 20:49:11

[quote19bf8de300="amir89630"]
Edit i found out he's supposed to go under for 9 minutes. I think its on ABC or something.[/quote19bf8de300]

its possible to hold your breath for that long if you have strong lungs, but you'll lose quite a bit of brain cells after 5 mins.

bballp6699

08-05-2006 18:06:21

He's about to do this shit. I just saw his pull some chicks teeth out and spit them back in her mouth. Fucking crazy.

dmorris68

08-05-2006 18:43:20

Actually, his stunts are the only things impressive about Blaine. His "street magic" is elementary at best, and is known to anybody who has studied magic for any time. He does no original illusions -- they are all either direct copies or close derivatives of other works.

Which is fine -- all magicians do other magicians' work. But the public believes Blaine is a god, and he lets them continue to believe that. At that point it seemed that he started believing his own hype is when I lost interest in his magic. Oh, that and lying about no camera tricks, which have been proven to be used in some of his street routines.

bballp6699

08-05-2006 18:54:36

I don't give a shit about his magic. The dude just stayed underwater for like seven and a half minutes. This isn't a diver and shit, just some normal guy. Even the people that always attack him have to give him props.

OldManWrigley

08-05-2006 19:04:12

that was insane. 708 was the offical time....he was completely blue when they pulled him out......

victory in my eyes

shrug

dmorris68

08-05-2006 19:21:41

Yeah, like I said, his stunts are where his "skill" is at, if you want to call it that. I think he realized that he wasn't going to stay on top doing everybody else's magic, he needed a gimmick. Torturing himself is something he definitely seems to be good at. )

Too bad he missed the world record he was shooting for though. After seeing his condition after a week underwater, I thought there was no way in hell he'd hold his breath for 9 minutes in a weakened state like that. 7 minutes is damned impressive as it is.

special k

08-05-2006 19:23:22

[quote7176b0c723="OldManWrigley"]that was insane. 708 was the offical time....he was completely blue when they pulled him out......

victory in my eyes

shrug[/quote7176b0c723]
Not to fucking mention being underwater for 7 days before with his body in shit condition from that, getting hardly any sleep, only drinking liquids of gatorade and water, no eating, having to undo chains that he was strapped to. Id say thats rediculous.

bballp6699

08-05-2006 19:32:00

He also had to escape from chains underwater. If he didn't have to do that I'm convinced he would have made atleast 8 minutes.

Did anyone see the magic trick before hand where he pulled that girls teeth out and then blew them back in? That was nuts. I still think his magic is amazing too. He has incredible hand speed and can toss cards around like a nut...

Let's be honest, well I like the guy, so I guess it doesn't take much for me to be honest, but anyways, the guy has to have some incredible skill otherwise he wouldn't be as famous as he is...

dmorris68

08-05-2006 19:56:23

[quote8b7dbaa25b="bballp6699"]Did anyone see the magic trick before hand where he pulled that girls teeth out and then blew them back in? That was nuts. I still think his magic is amazing too. He has incredible hand speed and can toss cards around like a nut...

Let's be honest, well I like the guy, so I guess it doesn't take much for me to be honest, but anyways, the guy has to have some incredible skill otherwise he wouldn't be as famous as he is...[/quote8b7dbaa25b]
And that's where his popularity comes from people who aren't a student of magic. If you don't know any better, and frankly most people wouldn't, what he does seems amazing.

But the truth is Blaine is a great showman, but he's only an average magician. His sleight-of-hand is weak in several areas. He uses stooges and camera tricks in his specials. And the tricks that he actually does do, like I said, are ordinary and known to most any amateur magician (much less a professional). I read about Blaine's first big break in showbusiness, and as is often the case with average talent, he just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and made a good sales pitch. His first show was a huge hit because magic on TV had been on a decline for many years, and when it WAS shown it was big flowery stage productions like David Copperfield and Lance Burton. Blaine's "street" magic was gritty and different and in your face, and he dressed and talked and carried himself like the "hip" young people on the street. All of which captivated the younger generation of audiences that hadn't been exposed to that sort of performance before.

So Blaine deserves credit for getting his foot in the door at Fox (IIRC) and putting the spotlight back in the art -- but it's an art that's been around about 400 years. ) He's not a pioneer in the art at all, he just kicked off the current wave of interest that, like all the cycles before, will wane eventually until a new generation comes around and somebody does something a bit different to get their attention.

I've known many magicians that aren't nearly as famous who have a much MUCH better skill at magic than Blaine. They just don't pursue the limelight or expensive productions that Blaine does. People like Brad Christian, of ellusionist.com, can do everything Blaine can do and then some. Except for the stunts, which is one area that Blaine really does excel at. Brad chooses to make his fortune with his company, and I'd rather watch 2 hours of Brad doing tricks than Blaine.

Sorry to get off on a long-winded diatribe, it's just a subject I have a lot of interest in, being involved with magic for nearly all of my life. So it's easy for me to get carried away. )

bballp6699

08-05-2006 20:01:24

Computers, home theaters, magic, anything you're not an expert at...? ;)

bruman

08-05-2006 20:03:33

When he tied his shoe just by wiggling his foot around a little bit - was that also an act or was that some crazy skill?

UniPrize Media

08-05-2006 20:05:27

[quote192b8f473c="bruman"]http//www.thatvideosite.com/view/934.html

This guy drowns himself for real[/quote192b8f473c]

I saw this video before and i thought it was fake. This guy didnt struggle at all. He has like three seconds of struggle and then passes out. I would think it would take a lot more than that to drown.

MyungChunHa

08-05-2006 20:11:31

Heh, when I went to that site, ellusionist.com, the first thing that popped up was David Blaine lol ...I just thought it was funny how you went into this huge thing about David and then mentioned Brad Christian and that site, then I go and it has David all over it...

BTW, very good arguement about Blaine not being that great, I always liked him but never knew anything about that kind of stuff...

[quotea56d54bffb="ulenie"][quotea56d54bffb="bruman"]http//www.thatvideosite.com/view/934.html

This guy drowns himself for real[/quotea56d54bffb]

I saw this video before and i thought it was fake. This guy didnt struggle at all. He has like three seconds of struggle and then passes out. I would think it would take a lot more than that to drown.[/quotea56d54bffb]
Are you sure, even if you were TRYING to drown....I think you can easily do that if you wanted to....

dmorris68

08-05-2006 20:12:50

[quote0210053cfb="bballp6699"]Computers, home theaters, magic, anything you're not an expert at...? ;)[/quote0210053cfb]
Heh. If I can claim to be an expert at anything, it limightli be computer stuff, as that is how I've earned my professional living for about 20 years (not counting the 5 year stint in the Army). Home theater, magic, and a few other things are just hobbies of mine. Expert, no... well-read on the subjects, yes. ;)

MyungChunHa

08-05-2006 20:14:22

[quote4d512bef85="dmorris68"][quote4d512bef85="bballp6699"]Computers, home theaters, magic, anything you're not an expert at...? ;)[/quote4d512bef85]
Heh. If I can claim to be an expert at anything, it limightli be computer stuff, as that is how I've earned my professional living for about 20 years (not counting the 5 year stint in the Army). Home theater, magic, and a few other things are just hobbies of mine. Expert, no... well-read on the subjects, yes. ;)[/quote4d512bef85]
Damn, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

I guessing.......43?

dmorris68

08-05-2006 20:15:20

[quoted051dfff83="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]Heh, when I went to that site, ellusionist.com, the first thing that popped up was David Blaine lol ...I just thought it was funny how you went into this huge thing about David and then mentioned Brad Christian and that site, then I go and it has David all over it...[/quoted051dfff83]
That's because Brad is smart and knows what people want. ) They want to know how Blaine does his stuff, and if they're willing to pay, Brad will show them. But you can find it at any number of other places as well. I have some books that were written in the early 1900's that have several of the SoH illusions that Blaine does.

dmorris68

08-05-2006 20:17:23

[quotebba0e84787="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]Damn, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

I guessing.......43?[/quotebba0e84787]
Not quite. But close. I will only say my wife is 42. P

God I hope she doesn't visit this site...[/sizebba0e84787]

MyungChunHa

08-05-2006 20:23:24

[quoteef738797b9="dmorris68"][quoteef738797b9="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]Heh, when I went to that site, ellusionist.com, the first thing that popped up was David Blaine lol ...I just thought it was funny how you went into this huge thing about David and then mentioned Brad Christian and that site, then I go and it has David all over it...[/quoteef738797b9]
That's because Brad is smart and knows what people want. ) They want to know how Blaine does his stuff, and if they're willing to pay, Brad will show them. But you can find it at any number of other places as well. I have some books that were written in the early 1900's that have several of the SoH illusions that Blaine does.[/quoteef738797b9]
Hmmm, is it at all easy to do those tricks....I'm assuming it is after knowing what the illusion is...

[quoteef738797b9="dmorris68"][quoteef738797b9="AbSoLuT_xXxEr0"]Damn, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

I guessing.......43?[/quoteef738797b9]
Not quite. But close. I will only say my wife is 42. P

God I hope she doesn't visit this site...[/sizeef738797b9][/quoteef738797b9]
Lol o

dmorris68

08-05-2006 20:24:52

[quoteffb984b556="bruman"]When he tied his shoe just by wiggling his foot around a little bit - was that also an act or was that some crazy skill?[/quoteffb984b556]
http//www.ellusionist.com/Blaine/Tricks/Self-Tying-Shoe-Laces-Blaine.html

;)

Oh, and note that the effect was created by Jay Noblezada (the guy in the video there). Not David Blaine. )

amir89630

08-05-2006 20:28:43

is there a youtube or torrent for this. I effin missed it .

dmorris68

08-05-2006 20:34:12

Oh, and let me just warn you guys -- it may sound corny but if you just want to buy the effects to figure out how Blaine (or any magician) does them, with no real intention of practicing and performing them yourself, then you'll probably be disappointed. Why? Because the appeal of a magic performance is the mystery of the illusion, in being fooled. Once you know how it is done, even if you can't do it yourself, that mystery is broken and it's a major letdown.

So if you are entertained by magic and want to keep it that way, don't go and spoil it for yourself. The vast majority of amazing illusions have incredibly simple and clever explanations, which will tend to make you go "is that all he did?" while diminishing the skill and practice involved in fooling you. Yes, Blaine has skill, I never said he didn't. It's just that his skill isn't unique or elite, it's about average among magicians.

I just wanted to throw that out to any of you with a few bucks to spend and a curious nature, before you go to ellusionist and Penguin and spend $20 only to find out, "is that it?" ;)

bballp6699

08-05-2006 20:37:05

I can't believe he's charging $20 for that shitty DVD.

Veek

08-05-2006 20:42:00

He's wild! However, I don't like how he tries to come off as a hardcore badass, especially in the ice one where his face was like "... indiff ..."

Hard to explain.

dmorris68

08-05-2006 21:00:13

[quoteb7830edf78="bballp6699"]I can't believe he's charging $20 for that shitty DVD.[/quoteb7830edf78]
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Unless you're going to practice and perform the trick to get something out of it, whether for money, or bragging rights, or just love of the hobby, you'll be disappointed. The effects are priced to keep the curious from learning too much, unless they're just silly rich. But a magician will gladly pay $20, $50, $100 or more for a good effect.

I've bought lots of effects that I wasn't thrilled with once I realized the trick. But practicing them and actually blowing somebody away who DOESN'T know the trick makes it worthwhile.

jordan90

08-05-2006 21:19:41

Did you guys see his feet and hands after being in the water for a week? I can't believe he was able to walk. Even if he didn't stay under for the 9 minutes he wanted to, the 7 days underwater is still incredible.

johnjimjones

08-05-2006 22:23:26

what a wuss, 7 minutes? plz lol

h3x

08-05-2006 22:49:08

The only thing I really liked about Blaine was the levitation.. So I can't really comment on his other stunts.

ajasax

08-05-2006 23:13:50

I really liked Blaine when he first started out doing street magic, but my interested dwindled w/ more recent stunts. Personally, I don't care if his skills are mediocre. If everyone knew the secrets to the magic tricks...nobody would be interested, am I right? And there would be no more work for "magicians." It's the unknown that keeps audiences watching. And if he's really good at stunts...then more power to him.

Has anyone seen that other guy Kris Angel (sp?) Mind Freak? His show is pretty interesting, as are his stunts/tricks. Oh, and this thread also reminded me of that SP episode where they join Blaine's "magic school" but turns out to be a cult lol

akalic

09-05-2006 01:03:35

cyril takayama for the win.

youtube it.

dmorris68

09-05-2006 04:56:53

[quotede720f1bb3="ajasax"]I really liked Blaine when he first started out doing street magic, but my interested dwindled w/ more recent stunts. Personally, I don't care if his skills are mediocre. If everyone knew the secrets to the magic tricks...nobody would be interested, am I right? And there would be no more work for "magicians." It's the unknown that keeps audiences watching. And if he's really good at stunts...then more power to him.[/quotede720f1bb3]
Exactly my point from my earlier posts. If you knew how everything was done, it wouldn't be entertaining. We lilikeli being fooled and trying to figure out how on our own. However, with few exceptions, once we're shown how, it's a letdown.

[quotede720f1bb3]Has anyone seen that other guy Kris Angel (sp?) Mind Freak? His show is pretty interesting, as are his stunts/tricks. Oh, and this thread also reminded me of that SP episode where they join Blaine's "magic school" but turns out to be a cult lol[/quotede720f1bb3]
I'd rate Chris Angel higher than Blaine in magical talent, I just don't care for the whole Goth thing. More importantly, however, I really don't like street magic that depends on stooges. Some of Angel's most impressive "street" tricks involve them. I have never cared for magic that required stooges -- to me, that's cheating your audience. IMO a magician should rely only on his own skills to fool an audience, not complicity from a member of the audience who the audience believes to be trustworthy. The most impressive close-up magic is that which is totally impromptu and can be performed on a moment's notice with no preparation.

But I also understand that, as somewhat of an "insider," I look at these performances differently than their intended audience. These guys are very popular with their target audience, and if they're entertaining folks and giving them what they want, then they're doing a good job. Like I said, magic popularity is cyclical, and thanks to these guys, it's running high now for the last several years. That's always a good thing for a hobby or profession that you're interested in, so for that I applaud them.

kidd2108

09-05-2006 14:18:35

Chriss Angel is better for now. I saw his trailer for the next season and he has some sick tricks.

theysayjump

09-05-2006 14:23:20

I've mentioned him on here a couple of times before. You guys should check out Derren Brown.