it's one of those days...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=37969

shopaholic

23-04-2006 16:15:23

So last night, I didn't get to bed until 5 AM. I woke up this morning drenched in sweat! Turns out the A/C is broken and it's over 90 degrees in the room (the thermometer goes only up to 90, so no idea how hot it really was). So, I go lay by the pool, because I can't take it anymore. I must have been real tired from the lack of sleep... cause when I finally got up to dip my feet in the water, I noticed some little hot pink thing at the bottom of the pool... IT'S MY CELL PHONE at the bottom of the stupid pool!

stupid me. I have no idea how it got there. So, it won't turn on now. No phone for me... cry ... and I'm still on contract.

guelah75

23-04-2006 16:16:51

that sucks, here's hoping that your day get much BETTER

did you have insurance on the phone?

Wolfeman

23-04-2006 16:37:16

I always get the insurance. Sorry to hear about your shitty day (

hehehhehe

23-04-2006 16:46:27

Take the batteries out and let it dry out. Then try again.

It seems like as long as you didn't try to turn it on (which you probably did), it'll turn back on when thoroughly dry.

bullseye4u

23-04-2006 16:49:33

what kind of cellphone you have ?

akalic

23-04-2006 16:51:19

i wish i had a pool at my disposal

killerman

23-04-2006 16:52:00

probbly a razr

sorry, that really sucks.

shopaholic

23-04-2006 16:56:37

I didn't have insurance... didn't think it was necessary.

I tried to dry out the batteries and everything... but it still won't turn on. The screen has water inside.. so it doesn't do anything at all. I'm wondering if I can just use my sim card and put it in another phone.

It was a motorola V600 I think... V something who knows. I bought a face plate for it online then it got scratched up. Then, this guy in the mall gave me a hot pink one for free. That's why it's hot pink.

BTW (for the person mentioning about the pool), I don't have a pool. I went to an apartment pool and pretended I lived there... that's what us poor folks do.

t.money

23-04-2006 17:02:24

To answer your sim card related question, yes, you can buy any old phone on ebay as long as its GSM (assuming it is becuase you said sim card) and just drop the card into the phone and itt'l be good as new.

PsychoAU

23-04-2006 17:04:40

I always love the stories of people dropping their phones into toilets when they go to pull down their pants. priceless. )

theman2005

23-04-2006 18:26:35

sorry to hear about your day ( , i guess things just happen when unexpected.

I've dropped my V600 on hard concrete a few times and its already kind of messed up too..... With Tmobile, i can get it replaced for a lower cost if i join them with a contract for another year. Not sure if its the same for yours.

Good Luck

unknown uchiha

23-04-2006 18:28:33

Phones.Freepay.com?

VrExe

23-04-2006 18:44:08

[quote8d8d150249="PsychoAU"]I always love the stories of people dropping their phones into toilets when they go to pull down their pants. priceless. )[/quote8d8d150249]

Do they all have like a diarrhea or something to drop their pants that carelessly to drop the phone into the toilet? roll

hehehhehe

23-04-2006 18:53:09

[quotecbafdefb25="shopaholic"]I tried to dry out the batteries and everything... but it still won't turn on. The screen has water inside.. so it doesn't do anything at all. I'm wondering if I can just use my sim card and put it in another phone.
[/quotecbafdefb25]
You have to dry it out much more than that (the phone, not the battery). The water in the screen means there's water in the phone. Leave out the battery and stick it in the oven and try it in several days but it's probably fucked now.

shopaholic

23-04-2006 18:54:47

HAHAHA so gross.

I have cingular. I think we have an extra phone at my parents, but it acts up. I think i'll go try to get that... but its an hour drive. guess i'll do it later tonight or tomorrow.

actually i dont have a v600. i just looked it up. its a v551.

if i get desperate, i might try to call one of the call center cingular manager and see if he can hook me up. last time, he gave me a free phone and a free upgraded sim card and 300 free minutes. he gave me his cell phone number and told me to feel free to call him if i need any other help. maybe he'll remember me and help me out.

nope, no freepay for me until they give me my other two items.

Godrockdj

23-04-2006 18:57:34

[quote579422ef53="hehehhehe"][quote579422ef53="shopaholic"]I tried to dry out the batteries and everything... but it still won't turn on. The screen has water inside.. so it doesn't do anything at all. I'm wondering if I can just use my sim card and put it in another phone.
[/quote579422ef53]
You have to dry it out much more than that (the phone, not the battery). The water in the screen means there's water in the phone. Leave out the battery and stick it in the oven and try it in several days but it's probably fucked now.[/quote579422ef53]

The oven?! Are you serious? That can't be good for it. I know you're not supposed to blow dry it but come on...

This goes back to my thread of a few days ago asking where to get a new phone. There seem to be no real good deals for freebie sites. Good = reasonable refs/ shipping time. Plus everyone said don't get a RAZR now... I had a motorola V551 but it bit the dust in a similar way a few days ago...

kevxross

23-04-2006 19:25:27

[quoteadc59ea7b2="shopaholic"]if i get desperate, i might try to call one of the call center cingular manager and see if he can hook me up. last time, he gave me a free phone and a free upgraded sim card and 300 free minutes. he gave me his cell phone number and told me to feel free to call him if i need any other help. maybe he'll remember me and help me out.[/quoteadc59ea7b2]

Probably not, unless you slept with him, which is the only reason you got all that free stuff the first time ;)

You've probably fried it by now, since you tried turning it on. For future reference don't attempt to turn on any piece of electronic that's wet. Take it apart as best as you can/feel confident with, then pour some rubbing alcohol on it. The alcohol will evaporate quickly, taking a lot of the water with it. Let it sit until you're completely sure it's entirely dry, then reassemble and test it out.

dmorris68

23-04-2006 19:41:11

I was about to post what kevxross said.

This might be a longshot if any electrical damage has already been done, but is cheap to try and you've got nothing to lose. Get a bottle of alcohol, as high a percentage as you can get (the regular 70% isopropyl will do, but 90+% is better, though harder to find). Pour a whole bottle (or at least enough to cover the phone completely) in bowl or shallow dish and submerge the phone overnight. Then remove it from the alcohol, shake it dry as best you can, then place it in a warm place for another day or two. When it looks to be dry, replace the batter and try again.

Alcohol displaces water, so the alcohol bath will remove all the water. The alcohol itself will evaporate very quickly once removed from the bath. This is an old electronics trick that I've used many times to clean water and other grime from things like cellphones and TV remotes. Try it, you might get lucky.

megotcash

23-04-2006 19:52:25

sorry today sucked so bad, but at least tomorrow is MONDAY. oh shit...

winkie

23-04-2006 19:57:20

do you have a friend who works in a science lab? dessicant has saved many wet electronic devices

tylerc

23-04-2006 20:10:20

This is what happens when you drink.

tjwor

23-04-2006 20:38:18

[quote31f00d3ce4="megotcash"]sorry today sucked so bad, but at least tomorrow is MONDAY. oh shit...[/quote31f00d3ce4]

Looks like somebudy's got a case of the Mundays

hehehhehe

23-04-2006 20:55:26

[quote83ef9f55b6="Godrockdj"]The oven?! Are you serious? That can't be good for it. I know you're not supposed to blow dry it but come on...
[/quote83ef9f55b6]
Yep, I'm serious. No need to turn it on, of course, and ovens are very dry inside. This would be helpful particularly if you live in a humid area. Its life is shortened anyway, a little aging by the low heat of the pilot lamp isn't going to hurt.

UniPrize Media

23-04-2006 21:30:30

[quotee3271e3f94="shopaholic"]HAHAHA so gross.

if i get desperate, i might try to call one of the call center cingular manager and see if he can hook me up. last time, he gave me a free phone and a free upgraded sim card and 300 free minutes. he gave me his cell phone number and told me to feel free to call him if i need any other help. maybe he'll remember me and help me out.

[/quotee3271e3f94]

Looks like he was hitting on you D

Some one at work stole my razor a while back (fucking thieves), but I went to the cingular store to see if I can get another one for a discount price but didn't have enough money for the phone i wanted and the girl there liked me or something, so she said she had an extra phone and will let me use the phone until I can buy the phone I wanted. Anywayz after a couple of days i was looking through the pictures on her phone and there was a picture of some guy's dick on there shock I then deleted it and never mentioned it. She is probably pissed for that and also embarrassed every time she sees me.

shopaholic

23-04-2006 22:08:35

[quote37e720e21e="ulenie"][quote37e720e21e="shopaholic"]HAHAHA so gross.

[/quote37e720e21e]

Looks like he was hitting on you D

Some one at work stole my razor a while back (fucking thieves), but I went to the cingular store to see if I can get another one for a discount price but didn't have enough money for the phone i wanted and the girl there liked me or something, so she said she had an extra phone and will let me use the phone until I can buy the phone I wanted. Anywayz after a couple of days i was looking through the pictures on her phone and there was a picture of some guy's dick on there shock I then deleted it and never mentioned it. She is probably pissed for that and also embarrassed every time she sees me.[/quote37e720e21e]

HAHAHA omg i can't believe that!! wow thats cool she let u borrow a phone.. that is the weirdest thing.

the manager guy was on the phone with me for 2 hours twice cause of some situation we had to deal with that he was helping me with. long story. anyways, because of my patience and that i was nice, he said to just call him if i need something. so a few months later, i called him to tell him my phone was actting weird, thats why he gave me a new phone. actually he said i could choose from whatever on the site but only up to $100. but i wanted the $150 one at the time, so i said please and he said ok. then he said i had to sign a 2 yrs but i didnt want to. so i told him i wanted 1 yr and he did that. then i asked him if i could get a bigger sim card (more memory) and he told me to just buy it and send him the receipt and he will pay for it. which i did!! he's really great! he also told me about how he's a DJ for his other job and so forth. my bf makes fun of me and calls him "my cingular boyfriend". anyways, i dont like bothering him though unless i have to. ok i gotta go to bed seriously.

thanks everyone for making me feel better. thanks wolfeman for u know what.

CoMpFrEaK

23-04-2006 23:21:33

[quote9e6859026e="dmorris68"]I was about to post what kevxross said.

This might be a longshot if any electrical damage has already been done, but is cheap to try and you've got nothing to lose. Get a bottle of alcohol, as high a percentage as you can get (the regular 70% isopropyl will do, but 90+% is better, though harder to find). Pour a whole bottle (or at least enough to cover the phone completely) in bowl or shallow dish and submerge the phone overnight. Then remove it from the alcohol, shake it dry as best you can, then place it in a warm place for another day or two. When it looks to be dry, replace the batter and try again.

Alcohol displaces water, so the alcohol bath will remove all the water. The alcohol itself will evaporate very quickly once removed from the bath. This is an old electronics trick that I've used many times to clean water and other grime from things like cellphones and TV remotes. Try it, you might get lucky.[/quote9e6859026e]

I had fun with some 99.9% isopropyl last time -P

had to get it from behind the counter though, lady was like "you cleaning stuff."

Works pretty well on the bottom of the CPU HSF P

dmorris68

24-04-2006 05:52:02

[quotee399d3432b="CoMpFrEaK"]I had fun with some 99.9% isopropyl last time -P

had to get it from behind the counter though, lady was like "you cleaning stuff."

Works pretty well on the bottom of the CPU HSF P[/quotee399d3432b]
Yep, 99% Iso is great for that, but I've found something better. The Arctic Silver folks make a 2-part citrus-based solution called ArctiClean that is amazing. It's cheap, I think I paid like $6 from Newegg for it after reading rave reviews. Just a couple drops of solution #1 totally dissolves thermal gunk, then solution #2 cleans it off. I mean it's like 2 wipes with a cloth and it's gone, and the CPU core and HSF lishineli. No elbow grease or effort at all. Try some!

http//www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

Now back OT...

KeithA

24-04-2006 06:00:08

[quote8378ec973e="PsychoAU"]I always love the stories of people dropping their phones into toilets when they go to pull down their pants. priceless. )[/quote8378ec973e]

I did this about 6 months ago. And shamelessly retrieved the phone, checked for a water-damage sticker (there was none), returned the phone, and received a brand new one for $9.95 shipping.

8)

shopaholic

24-04-2006 09:53:45

[quoteb4b2508f0d="KeithA"][quoteb4b2508f0d="PsychoAU"]I always love the stories of people dropping their phones into toilets when they go to pull down their pants. priceless. )[/quoteb4b2508f0d]

I did this about 6 months ago. And shamelessly retrieved the phone, checked for a water-damage sticker (there was none), returned the phone, and received a brand new one for $9.95 shipping.

8)[/quoteb4b2508f0d]

HAHAHAHAAAA out of nasty curiosity, was anything else in the toilet?

shopaholic

27-04-2006 19:53:44

OK! so i finally called the cingular manager today like I was telling you guys about... he said he could give me a free phone. I was trying to choose between the razer, motorola v557, or nokia 6102. anyone have personal experiences with them? i looked up their review.. they're all about the same. anyways, i choose the v557 b/c it has bluetooth and i had to make a choice on the spot! he told me that i can change my mind within 30 days and get a different one. i also got him to make my contract one year instead of two! so nice!

theman2005

27-04-2006 20:48:33

wow, that's awesome. very lucky indeed. (The Razr is over rated in my opinion)

Allen626

28-04-2006 13:27:29

[quotebb129aede9="dmorris68"][quotebb129aede9="CoMpFrEaK"]I had fun with some 99.9% isopropyl last time -P

Works pretty well on the bottom of the CPU HSF P[/quotebb129aede9]
Yep, 99% Iso is great for that, but I've found something better. The Arctic Silver folks make a 2-part citrus-based solution called ArctiClean that is amazing. It's cheap, I think I paid like $6 from Newegg for it after reading rave reviews. Just a couple drops of solution #1 totally dissolves thermal gunk, then solution #2 cleans it off. I mean it's like 2 wipes with a cloth and it's gone, and the CPU core and HSF lishineli. No elbow grease or effort at all. Try some!

http//www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

Now back OT...[/quotebb129aede9]

<3 AS5

shopaholic

02-05-2006 10:08:38

YAY! the new phone came in yesterday. I just called the manager today to let him know... turns out I just have to move the sim card over and not really do anything. however, i had to call him so he'll know how much to credit me cause i did pay for it first and so he can reduce my contract. I couldn't remember how much i paid for it and couldn't find my invocie but I had an idea. So he just rounded it up to the next whole figure. He was also telling me stories about the crazy things people say to him when they call. I told him how one of you guys dropped your phone in the toilet once. He said that actually happens quite often!! hahaa

the v557 is black and has this ticker thing. otherwise, i don't know if anything is different. do i have to pay for the ticker thing? does anyone know? b/c when i went to turn to option to off in the settings, it said to go to manage my account to unsubscribed. however to get to manage my account, you have to go online from your phone. i KNOW that part charges you, so i really don't want to do it unless i have to. does anyone know??