Err...my parents?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=37443

tylerc

16-04-2006 06:21:28

Last night before my mom went to bed she came in and asked if I was going to church tomorrow. She knows, as well as my dad, that I don't believe in that shit. There may be a God, there may not be, but regardless, I don't think it affects my life. People say "oh God gave me this nice house, a great job". No, you fucking earned that.

Anyway, enough of that, let's not turn this into a religious discussion.

After my mom left and I basically told her no, I wasn't planning on it, without actually saying it, my dad comes in 5 minutes later and tells me I'm going. I got into it with him about how he knows I don't believe in that and going to church tomorrow isn't going to change a damn thing.

Then, this morning, my dad gets me up and I get around (not happy about being up before 900, especially on Sunday, which is usually a catch up day for me to sleep). My mom sees me getting around and says "I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET HIM UP". I finish getting around, and go downstairs to grab some pizza for breakfast, while my dad is telling me I'm not going, they don't want me going, etc etc. I figured it would be better just to go and shut them up, rather than have to listen to a bullshit lecture coming from 2 people that I would hardly consider religious preach to me.

I sent my mom a text that said I really don't get anything you gave me a choice then dad comes in and says I'm going and now you don't want me going.

She replied "I'm tired of everything being my fault and I'd rather you guys didn't come--please."

What the fuck is my parents' problem?

Averagejoe1039

16-04-2006 07:27:42

Parents are crazy. BTW, I would go just to get them to shutup. Who knows, god may change you. Church is a very poowerful place.

Brutus

16-04-2006 07:56:41

[quote586d3411be="tylerc"]What the fuck is my parents' problem?[/quote586d3411be]

Sounds like you are.

Your parents asked you to go to Church with them on Easter, and you threw a hissy fit. Even if you don't beleive in this 'shit', you could still do something nice for them on what some people consider to be a very special day.

tylerc

16-04-2006 08:33:05

My parents are the type of Christians that go on Christmas and Easter, and maybe 2 other times throughout the entire year.

FreeOffersNow

16-04-2006 09:12:51

[quotea86a7bff31="tylerc"]My parents are the type of Christians that go on Christmas and Easter, and maybe 2 other times throughout the entire year.[/quotea86a7bff31]

Just because your parents don't attend services regularly, doesn't mean they don't at least try to be religious. Also, from what you've said...I'd say they are more concerned with doing something as a family than forcing their beliefs onto you. Nonetheless...you throwing it back in their face pretty much just makes it a huge emotional let-down for them. You've got to realize that your parents have feelings too ( Think of the sacrifices they've made for you...attending a 2 hour service once a year shouldn't be a big problem for you.

Sweeney2066

16-04-2006 09:13:06

[quotee936cd6e8c="tylerc"]My parents are the type of Christians that go on Christmas and Easter, and maybe 2 other times throughout the entire year.[/quotee936cd6e8c]

Making no reason for you to go with them. I won't have gone in your situation either.

Veek

16-04-2006 09:15:39

[quote04ee5c71f8="Brutus"][quote04ee5c71f8="tylerc"]What the fuck is my parents' problem?[/quote04ee5c71f8]

Sounds like you are.

Your parents asked you to go to Church with them on Easter, and you threw a hissy fit. Even if you don't beleive in this 'shit', you could still do something nice for them on what some people consider to be a very special day.[/quote04ee5c71f8]

IAWTC. Don't let pride get in the way of what possibly makes your parents enjoy a day they might really want to.

theysayjump

16-04-2006 09:16:33

Chances are it's something special for them, regardless of how often they go and they know you're growing up and you'll (maybe) be leaving soon.

They just want to spend some time with you and didn't think it was too much to ask for you to sit on your arse in the car to get to church, then sit on your arse in church and then back on your arse on the way home.

If it's something you are strongly against and you're not, not going just because it's boring and such, then don't go. The more you stand up for what you believe in or believe to be right, the better you'll feel about your beliefs, no matter what anyone else thinks.

good2speed

16-04-2006 09:24:55

hey its got to be better than fasting during an entire month (ramadan). Did I spell that right.... Hopefully there are no extreme fundamentalists reading this site and decide to take revenge for my misspelling of the holidAy.

its just 2 3 days of the year you gotta go to church just go.

though I must point out aethists must have the best schedules. Absolutely no obligation to wake up on sun. Where do aethist get married and by whom? If a an ethist prays who does the aethist pray to or does the aethist not pray at all? Does an aethist ever use the phrase Holy shit or god damn?

PsychoAU

16-04-2006 09:48:53

Dude, quit being a teenage rebel and do what you're told. Would it kill ya to make your mom happy for a day? Are you afraid you might actually get converted when you step foot in the church? I didn't think so. So be a man and own up to some responsibility. It's one day a year. Get over it.

Sweeney2066

16-04-2006 11:06:26

I think alot of your are over analysing the situation. He told his mom he didn't want to go but then his dad wanted him to go. It sounds more like their fight that he got in the middle of.

FreeOffersNow

16-04-2006 11:14:36

[quotef41242acb3="Sweeney2066"]I think alot of your are over analysing the situation. He told his mom he didn't want to go but then his dad wanted him to go. It sounds more like their fight that he got in the middle of.[/quotef41242acb3]

How old are you? It's clear he was the cause of the argument...his mother really wanted him to go, and his father could probably care less. It seems to me his father was trying to force him to go (to make his mother happy), but she didn't want to [if41242acb3]force[/if41242acb3] him to go...she wanted him to [if41242acb3]want[/if41242acb3] to go. Just my 2 cents )

johnjimjones

16-04-2006 11:15:30

[quote256a0fb940="FreeOffersNow"][quote256a0fb940="tylerc"]My parents are the type of Christians that go on Christmas and Easter, and maybe 2 other times throughout the entire year.[/quote256a0fb940]

Just because your parents don't attend services regularly, doesn't mean they don't at least try to be religious. Also, from what you've said...I'd say they are more concerned with doing something as a family than forcing their beliefs onto you. Nonetheless...you throwing it back in their face pretty much just makes it a huge emotional let-down for them. You've got to realize that your parents have feelings too ( [b256a0fb940]Think of the sacrifices they've made for you...attending a 2 hour service once a year shouldn't be a big problem for you.[/b256a0fb940][/quote256a0fb940]
The point I was going to make. I don't see why you made it a big deal. I don't like church a lot but I go anyways.

[quote256a0fb940="PsychoAU"]Dude, quit being a teenage rebel and do what you're told. Would it kill ya to make your mom happy for a day? Are you afraid you might actually get converted when you step foot in the church? I didn't think so. So be a man and own up to some responsibility. It's one day a year. Get over it.[/quote256a0fb940]

That about sums it up.

Veek

16-04-2006 11:17:35

Maybe if there was a bottle of vodka in church, he'd want to go.

Sweeney2066

16-04-2006 11:21:30

[quoted8031193f8="FreeOffersNow"]

How old are you? It's clear he was the cause of the argument...his mother really wanted him to go, and his father could probably care less. It seems to me his father was trying to force him to go (to make his mother happy), but she didn't want to [id8031193f8]force[/id8031193f8] him to go...she wanted him to [id8031193f8]want[/id8031193f8] to go. Just my 2 cents )[/quoted8031193f8]

16. The way he expressed it his mother just asked if he wanted to go and he never implied that she wanted him to go. She probably did. But it didn't really become a problem until the dad forced him to go and the argument. I probably would have argued with my dad too. But then in the morning he was going fine and dandy at which point his mom got all emotional.

i blame history

16-04-2006 11:39:39

quick ramadan thought i dont THINK ramadan is something an extreme fundamentalist does. i could be wrong, though. i thought ramadan just involved fasting during daylight hours only.

but anyways, yeah, i dont see why going to church on a holiday to make your parents happy would be such a problem. sure, church can be boring, and i need to remember that as when i do go to church i go to one that is actually very entertaining. talented people, video projects, and a huge live band with people who actually know how to play the instruments. i guess you could say i am "the type of christian that goes to church on holidays." i dont particularly think that going to church is a requirement of considering yourself a christian. i dont think its a BAD thing and i dont mind going, but i normally just dont go. on holidays, yes, but i didnt even go this weekend. i was gling to go to a saturday evening service with my parents, but since we wanted a nice dinner and everything was running late, we decided to not go so we could go so we could just visit more (i live about a half hour away, so im not even in the same city as the church anymore). my parents go every weekend, though. they enjoy it, and i must say, services at my church ARE enjoyable, and they are very... i dont know if 'liveral' is the word i want to use, but they are evry open and accepting.

i guess i have just learned that certain things make certain family members happy, and if it requires almost nothing of me to do it, then why not? i lost many chances with my mom, who died when i was ten, but my dad is almost 68 and if sitting at the table after dinner and talking about his trips to germany or what goes on when he works at the food pantry make him happy then i know what i will be doing after dinner. these are the people that paying for me to go to college, along with paying for just about eveything else i need, just because they feel like it is their job. my step mom, who could retire fairly soon, is going to continue to work until i am done with school. and this is my step mom, who i have only known for 6 years.

i was a terrible teenager, and i guess it was just be trying to be a kid again since i really was unable to the first time around, but i quickly realized that i was a piece of crap that just needed to let go. for the longest time, i too refused to go to church. but they minute they just said "so emily, do you want to go to church?" instead of "get up, youre going to church," i started going. surely, though, i fi met someone now who is exatcly how i was from about age 12-16, i would more than likely punch them in the face. then again, i know quite a few people who would love to go back in time and give their younger selves a swift kick to the buttockular region, along with a nice "what the HELL are you thinking?!"

JUNIOR6886

16-04-2006 12:12:23

[quote251bb8e4e9="tylerc"]Last night before my mom went to bed she came in and asked if I was going to church tomorrow. She knows, as well as my dad, that I don't believe in that shit. There may be a God, there may not be, but regardless, I don't think it affects my life. People say "oh God gave me this nice house, a great job". No, you fucking earned that.

After my mom left and I basically told her no, I wasn't planning on it, without actually saying it, my dad comes in 5 minutes later and tells me I'm going. I got into it with him about how he knows I don't believe in that and going to church tomorrow isn't going to change a damn thing.

Then, this morning, my dad gets me up and I get around (not happy about being up before 900, especially on Sunday, which is usually a catch up day for me to sleep). My mom sees me getting around and says "I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET HIM UP". I finish getting around, and go downstairs to grab some pizza for breakfast, while my dad is telling me I'm not going, they don't want me going, etc etc. I figured it would be better just to go and shut them up, rather than have to listen to a bullshit lecture coming from 2 people that I would hardly consider religious preach to me.

I sent my mom a text that said I really don't get anything you gave me a choice then dad comes in and says I'm going and now you don't want me going.

She replied "I'm tired of everything being my fault and I'd rather you guys didn't come--please."

What the fuck is my parents' problem?[/quote251bb8e4e9]

The question is actually "what the fuck is wrong with [i251bb8e4e9]you[/i251bb8e4e9] " I was actually in a similar situation this very morning. Im a christian and i believe in god and everything but i find church to be the most boring place on earth... I really felt like skating insted of going to church but when my mom asked me if i wanted to go i said yes to make her happy.

More than likely in the future you'll find someone else close to you who needs you to do something you dont feel like doing... hopefully you'll consider someone else's feelings besides your own then....... ?

good2speed

16-04-2006 15:24:38

[quote5a558618bb="i blame history"]quick ramadan thought i dont THINK ramadan is something an extreme fundamentalist does. i could be wrong, though. i thought ramadan just involved fasting during daylight hours only.
[/quote5a558618bb]

I would assume an extremist definetely participates in the activities during the fasting month hence the term extremisim. Obviously the extremist ignores the part in the koran that menthions being accepting and respectful of other cultures but for the most part they follow the Koran word for word. Its as if that book has all the answers and there is no need for an update or revision. Extremists also wish to have a muslim state that practices the islamic holy law, aka the sharia. This is evidenced by Taliban ruling Afghanistan and forcing all to abide by the code of the sharia. I could not imagine an extremist not participating in one of the most holiest holidays a Muslim experiences besides a haji.

Yes the muslims only fast during the daylight hours and if youve been friends with any Muslims you will realize that even doing the day fasting is not an easy task. Im one who enjoys a good lunch and am pretty happy my religion does not oppose my eating at a certain time of day.

justinag06

16-04-2006 15:29:57

[quote51a7556e88="Veek"]Maybe if there was a bottle of vodka in church, he'd want to go.[/quote51a7556e88]

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/smilies_mod/upload/0acc3e12e7be8769bac6af50a5088718.gif[" alt=""/img51a7556e88]

kevxross

16-04-2006 16:16:42

I hope this forum still exists in 4 or 5 years so you can come back and do a search for all your posts. I guarantee you'd get a good laugh. Your posts are so "Leave it to Beaver" or "Full House"ish. Why you feel the need to post all your newly blossoming teenage moments on a free iPod forum, I don't know, but it is kinda funny. I feel like I'm watching you grow up; I was there for your first drink of alcohol, your first crush, your first spring break, and now the rebellion stage lol

justinag06

16-04-2006 16:21:20

yeah and who can forgot pokernerds first girl stalking thread, then he came back to inform us he has had sex since he was banned and subsequently made another 30 names

JordanE

16-04-2006 16:36:55

lmao

h3x

16-04-2006 17:11:30

[quoteaf31649d26="tylerc"]Last night before my mom went to bed she came in and asked if I was going to church tomorrow. She knows, as well as my dad, that I don't believe in that shit. There may be a God, there may not be, but regardless, I don't think it affects my life. People say "oh God gave me this nice house, a great job". No, you fucking earned that.

What the fuck is my parents' problem?[/quoteaf31649d26]

Without saying what everyone else has said already..... Grow up.

Nimh

16-04-2006 17:37:29

It's posts like these that make me glad my parents are Atheists.

[quote5f33a68d54]though I must point out aethists must have the best schedules. Absolutely no obligation to wake up on sun. Where do aethist get married and by whom? If a an ethist prays who does the aethist pray to or does the aethist not pray at all? Does an aethist ever use the phrase Holy shit or god damn?[/quote5f33a68d54]

To answer your questions
Depends on the situation. If 2 Atheists marry, they can get married in a ceremony anywhere they choose (as most people can and do), and they would get married by a judge who has the legal power to grant marriage licenses.

Atheists don't pray. If they don't believe in a god, who would they pray to?

Yes, Atheists do use those phrases, but they hold no religious significance. They rank on the same level as the other "four-letter words" to an Atheist, except those particular words may bother religious types.

I'm actually Agnostic, but I'm not planning on turning this thread into a religous discussion. If anyone really feels like arguing, they can hit me up on AIM.

As for the OP, I do have to interject one thing on his behalf I don't see how him going to church on Easter is "doing something as a family." Everyone's tired that early. Even if he has just said yes and gone, he'd sit there half-asleep for the ride there, sit through two hours of church (it's not like they're having a conversation), and drive back. I personally think his time would be much better spent sleeping so that when he wakes up when they get back, he'll be awake to spend time with his family during the rest of the day. As long as he doesn't plan on leaving to go hang with friends on Easter, I don't see the big deal. I don't really understand why his parents (or maybe just his father? that's another question did his mom even want him to go that badly? it seems like it was only his dad's doing.) wanted him to go to church with them in the first place.

tylerc

16-04-2006 17:54:28

I think my mom wanted me to go more than my dad--she was just trying to give me a choice and hoping I would say yes I guess.

I went (with my family) out to my grandma's house and spent 5 hours with them this afternoon.

PsychoAU

16-04-2006 18:02:34

Your mom is a woman (I'm assuming) and that is how women work. One day you will learn that.

i blame history

16-04-2006 18:56:27

[quote39722fe5d3="good2speed"][quote39722fe5d3="i blame history"]quick ramadan thought i dont THINK ramadan is something an extreme fundamentalist does. i could be wrong, though. i thought ramadan just involved fasting during daylight hours only.
[/quote39722fe5d3]

I would assume an extremist definetely participates in the activities during the fasting month hence the term extremisim. Obviously the extremist ignores the part in the koran that menthions being accepting and respectful of other cultures but for the most part they follow the Koran word for word. Its as if that book has all the answers and there is no need for an update or revision. Extremists also wish to have a muslim state that practices the islamic holy law, aka the sharia. This is evidenced by Taliban ruling Afghanistan and forcing all to abide by the code of the sharia. I could not imagine an extremist not participating in one of the most holiest holidays a Muslim experiences besides a haji.

Yes the muslims only fast during the daylight hours and if youve been friends with any Muslims you will realize that even doing the day fasting is not an easy task. Im one who enjoys a good lunch and am pretty happy my religion does not oppose my eating at a certain time of day.[/quote39722fe5d3]

i thought i said that i didnt think ramadan was something that ONLY extremists do. i just left out that key word, there. the post i was commenting to there seemed to say that only extremists participate in fasting for a month, and what i meant to say was that i thought that ramadan was something that many people, not just extremists, participate in, and that i thought it was mainly just fasting during daylight hours only.

kdollar

16-04-2006 23:20:49

i dont know if this has been posted but besides makin them happy, u do live under their roof and they provide u with a lot of shit, wouldnt hurt to do one small hr thing...since u get a lot free!

shopaholic

17-04-2006 01:29:35

[quotedffd23d8b6="theysayjump"]

If it's something you are strongly against and you're not, not going just because it's boring and such, then don't go. The more you stand up for what you believe in or believe to be right, the better you'll feel about your beliefs, no matter what anyone else thinks.[/quotedffd23d8b6]

yep. your beliefs. your choice.

good2speed

17-04-2006 07:47:35

[quote5f87b2e2e9="Nimh"]It's posts like these that make me glad my parents are Atheists.

[quote5f87b2e2e9]though I must point out aethists must have the best schedules. Absolutely no obligation to wake up on sun. Where do aethist get married and by whom? If a an ethist prays who does the aethist pray to or does the aethist not pray at all? Does an aethist ever use the phrase Holy shit or god damn?[/quote5f87b2e2e9]

To answer your questions
Depends on the situation. If 2 Atheists marry, they can get married in a ceremony anywhere they choose (as most people can and do), and they would get married by a judge who has the legal power to grant marriage licenses.

Atheists don't pray. If they don't believe in a god, who would they pray to?

Yes, Atheists do use those phrases, but they hold no religious significance. They rank on the same level as the other "four-letter words" to an Atheist, except those particular words may bother religious types.

I'm actually Agnostic, but I'm not planning on turning this thread into a religous discussion. If anyone really feels like arguing, they can hit me up on AIM.

As for the OP, I do have to interject one thing on his behalf I don't see how him going to church on Easter is "doing something as a family." Everyone's tired that early. Even if he has just said yes and gone, he'd sit there half-asleep for the ride there, sit through two hours of church (it's not like they're having a conversation), and drive back. I personally think his time would be much better spent sleeping so that when he wakes up when they get back, he'll be awake to spend time with his family during the rest of the day. As long as he doesn't plan on leaving to go hang with friends on Easter, I don't see the big deal. I don't really understand why his parents (or maybe just his father? that's another question did his mom even want him to go that badly? it seems like it was only his dad's doing.) wanted him to go to church with them in the first place.[/quote5f87b2e2e9]

thanks I can now move on with my day. 8)

was more of a hypothetical quetion but glad I now have some answers

EatChex89

17-04-2006 11:01:15

happy easter, bitches.

yea it's over and whatnot but happy easter anyway, bitches

bballp6699

17-04-2006 15:02:02

What you guys have to understand is that most of you are in college or grown to a level where you aren't under your parent's lock and key.

When I was living with my parents when I was 17 I was like tyler, but now as I move out I appreciate what they did for me and try to return the favor.

I'm sure every one of you guys declined going somewhere before when your parents asked.

With that in mind. Why the fuck would you post about this shit?

RM200

17-04-2006 15:12:41

your lucky they didnt tell you get the fuck of the house.

justinfreestuff

17-04-2006 15:48:46

ahahaha

Wolfeman

17-04-2006 15:52:57

I go to church with my Mom on holidays even though I'm not that religious because it makes her happy. Its 1 hour and she is happy so I figure its worth it.

I'm Catholic by the way...

tylerc

17-04-2006 16:53:56

[quote9265afac38="RM200"]your lucky they didnt tell you get the fuck of the house.[/quote9265afac38]

Yeah, I'm sure kids get kicked out of their houses all the time for not wanting to go to church with their parents.

CollidgeGraduit

17-04-2006 17:21:34

[quote99307aa2ab="tylerc"][quote99307aa2ab="RM200"]your lucky they didnt tell you get the fuck of the house.[/quote99307aa2ab]

Yeah, I'm sure kids get kicked out of their houses all the time for not wanting to go to church with their parents.[/quote99307aa2ab]

No, more for being alcoholic, disrespectful tools.

i blame history

17-04-2006 17:30:42

only adding numbers to make it easier, i promise!

[quoteddb30bc42c="bballp6699"]
[bddb30bc42c]
1. [/bddb30bc42c]What you guys have to understand is that most of you are in college or grown to a level where you aren't under your parent's lock and key.

[bddb30bc42c]2. [/bddb30bc42c]When I was living with my parents when I was 17 I was like tyler, but now as I move out I appreciate what they did for me and try to return the favor.

[bddb30bc42c]3. [/bddb30bc42c]I'm sure every one of you guys declined going somewhere before when your parents asked.

[bddb30bc42c]4.[/bddb30bc42c] With that in mind. Why the fuck would you post about this shit?[/quoteddb30bc42c]

1. correct
2. similar experiences, myself
3. yes, but as before, i know realize how pathetic i was, and i just feel the need to point out the fact that it is not necessary to defy your parents just because you are under age 18, and really, by 17, i had come to my senses.
4. that is a very, very good question. i am glad someone asked it... heh.

hairyferry

17-04-2006 17:35:18

i spent from 730am-noon at church on Sunday for all the Easter stuff going on, so count your lucky stars.

tjwor

17-04-2006 17:35:58

Parents are the ultimate freebie, keep them happy so you can live with them as long as you need/want... The more you do for them the more they'll do for you... you become a dick to them, they may start charging you rent or something shrug

Veek

17-04-2006 17:40:20

[quotefe02458cc3="CollidgeGraduit"][quotefe02458cc3="tylerc"][quotefe02458cc3="RM200"]your lucky they didnt tell you get the fuck of the house.[/quotefe02458cc3]

Yeah, I'm sure kids get kicked out of their houses all the time for not wanting to go to church with their parents.[/quotefe02458cc3]

No, more for being alcoholic, disrespectful tools.[/quotefe02458cc3]

I was waiting for someone to say that.

CollidgeGraduit

17-04-2006 17:44:07

http/" alt=""/img461.imageshack.us/img="461/3042/owldrunk4np.jpg[" alt=""/imgbe234f3d6b]

BobMakihara

17-04-2006 18:33:41

[quote8e8187c551="i blame history"][quote8e8187c551="good2speed"][quote8e8187c551="i blame history"]quick ramadan thought i dont THINK ramadan is something an extreme fundamentalist does. i could be wrong, though. i thought ramadan just involved fasting during daylight hours only.
[/quote8e8187c551]

Yes the muslims only fast during the daylight hours and if youve been friends with any Muslims you will realize that even doing the day fasting is not an easy task. Im one who enjoys a good lunch and am pretty happy my religion does not oppose my eating at a certain time of day.[/quote8e8187c551]

i thought i said that i didnt think ramadan was something that ONLY extremists do. i just left out that key word, there. the post i was commenting to there seemed to say that only extremists participate in fasting for a month, and what i meant to say was that i thought that ramadan was something that many people, not just extremists, participate in, and that i thought it was mainly just fasting during daylight hours only.[/quote8e8187c551]

Yep, you would be right about that.

My parents are about as muslim as tylerc's parents are Christian. IE, they only visit the mosque every now and then, mainly on important days.

Ramadan, however, is something most people in my family usually participate in. Heck, I've always participated since like, 3 years before the "required" age, and still plan to, eventhough I'm not suite sure if I'll continue being muslim like my parents.

Why? It's fun and a nice change of pace. And I can assure you, I'm far from being an extremist. p