Honda or Toyota???

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=37265

iamzim

13-04-2006 04:15:16

Ok, I'm looking at buying a new car, and would just like to know what everybody thinks. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two brands. The civic looks cool, but i feel it is a bit costly for what you get. The corolla is a great car (one in my family already) but the new 2007 camry looks pretty pimpin! I'm also considering the prius (with the cost of gas supposedly going up, getting 60/51mpg city/highway wouldn't be that bad!!!) So, anybody own these? There's also a camry hybrid, but it doesnt get as good mpg as the prius. And i'm not all that familiar with the civics......other than the fact that they look really cool!

I'd really like to hear something from prius owners, because I've never been in one. Is the gas mileage what they say? how does that screen in the middle work? Anything that you hate about it? anything that you really like?

Thanks for your help!

dmorris68

13-04-2006 05:11:08

Both Honda and Toyota are fine brands, you can't go wrong with either.

That said, my personal preference is Toyota/Lexus. I like their vehicle designs better and they continue to dominate in the Top-10 lists for reliability, resale value, etc. with Honda a close second.

I used to buy GM and then Ford and traded every 2-3 years. I finally got fed up with the declining quality and resale value from the domestics, so I traded my last Expedition in 2001 for a Sequoia Limited 4x4. 5 years later I'm still driving it, loving it, with no real desire to get rid of it. And when I do, it will have great value, unlike my last Expedition which traded at less than payoff.

i blame history

13-04-2006 06:36:26

i have no experience with hondas, so here is my toyota imput.

i will only ever drive toyotas. my boyfriends 1990 camry station wagon has almost 290k on it, and it is amazing. yes, it has some leaks, but we just keep putting fluids in and it works wonderfully.

as soon as he gets a job ("flexible for student hours" really means "if you go to class and are not available 9 to 5 every day, you can go to hell) he is going to get a new car. a used corolla and a new scion were i the running, both being the same price. because we like the space, we decided to go with the scion. about $16,000 for a new one. now, yes, they are horribly ugly boxes on wheels. dont get me wrong. i hated them until i climbed inside one. there is SO MUCH ROOM in these things. the ceiling is VERY high, the seats feel like chairs in the sense that when you sit down, your feet go right down below you as if you were sitting in a chair, as opposed to straight out in front of you in a regular car. and the back seats are the EXACT same way. it is physically impossible for me to sit for very long (i dont know, its been a problem since i was about 4) and back seats were always out of the question because my legs were too long and could NOT be bent up. i can sit in the back of the scion for god knows how long, and i am fine.
i got over the ugliness REALLY quick after seeing it. its a 4cyl and gets roughly 30-34mpg, even though it is a box. the 16 year old wagon gets about 30, even.
we considered a corolla simply due to the 40mpg factor. that would be wonderful, but we NEED the space for groceries (sams club), music equiptment, kids in the future, ourselves because we are tall and fat.... the back seats fold down, and the front seats even go down as well, leaving you with a nice big open sleeping space if you ever find yourself without a house, i guess.

my dad even worked for GM/delphi for roughly 35 years, and he does not think he will be purchasing another GM car. whenever i get around to learning how to drive (when i dont have a death inducing fear of it) he has agreed to get me a decent used car, and he has already insisted that it be a toyota. no complaints here! i would love to have a prius, but the fact that the technology is fairly new... i am not sure yet. i will wait a while and see what develops... i am just nervous about the $3,000 battery prospect.

TeeRatt

13-04-2006 06:56:18

It's all about the Altima[/size58648870e7]
http//www.autoblog.com/media/2006/04/01-2007-Altima-Static.jpg[" alt=""/img58648870e7]

Kinmar

13-04-2006 07:26:00

I was recently in your exact possition. Was really strongly considering a Camry Hybrid. But once i found out that it will run about $25,000 - $27,000 i quickly shifted my thought process and started looking at civics. I ended up buying a new Civic EX 2dr and love the thing. It gets 30/40 mpg compaired to like 40/38 of the Camry Hybrid. Also to note the Prius is widely scrutinized because of its in ability to actually obtain the MPG numbers it advertises so i would expect the same from the camry. I just got back form a 600 mi. trip to Michigan (and back) on which i averaged 37 mpg in my civic. All in all i am very happy with my civic and would recommend it to anyone.

But as was said before both Toyota and Honda are great brands and you cant really go wrong with either. GL

(I ended up paying around Invoice for my '06 Civic EX 2dr about $18750)

tylerc

13-04-2006 08:48:12

My dad drives a 2004 or 2005 Acura 3.2 TL, and it drives great (whenever I get the rare opportunity to drive it). Downside-it only takes premium fuel.

I drive a Toyota Celica and have had no problems with it.

cyberpunk243

13-04-2006 08:53:33

I have wanted one of those Scion TC's for a while now. The "car" looking Scion, not the box or the station wagon looking thing.

skillet2003

13-04-2006 09:09:41

i too am looking at getting a scion, i need a new car and toyota is always a great choice, plus the tc just looks cool. if money was no object, my ideal car would be a new infiniti g35 those are just awesome. but since money is far between a tc will do just fine.

johnjimjones

13-04-2006 09:21:09

I love Honda, great cars.

Mapik

13-04-2006 09:25:52

The was a recent new report out somewhere on how the hybrids don't pay for themselves. It all depends on how long you plan on keeping it for and all the variables that go with it. Crunch the numbers and figure it out.

Honda and Toyotas are both great, I prefer Hondas though.

Stroid

13-04-2006 09:26:43

Honda

iamzim

13-04-2006 10:22:44

I forgot to mention that one....I was also considering the tC. It looks cool! (and i don't have to worry about upgrading the parts either because it's basically fully loaded out the door!) and a great price too!! (I have a friend who has the xB, (xBox) as his license plate says. and it's a very nice car....very roomy.....but it's a box!!! i have this fear of it blowing over in a really windy storm! Thanks for everybody's input. Hopefully there will be some more info/experiences shared!

Thanks!

johnjimjones

13-04-2006 10:37:42

[quoteb8b01db92e="iamzim"]I forgot to mention that one....I was also considering the tC. It looks cool! (and i don't have to worry about upgrading the parts either because it's basically fully loaded out the door!) and a great price too!! (I have a friend who has the xB, (xBox) as his license plate says. and it's a very nice car....very roomy.....but it's a box!!! i have this fear of it blowing over in a really windy storm! Thanks for everybody's input. Hopefully there will be some more info/experiences shared!

Thanks![/quoteb8b01db92e]
Yeah tC is a nice car too. But I'd take a Honda over any Toyota.

h3x

13-04-2006 11:14:26

Toyota is by far the best jap car on the market. Next would be, Honda.. But whatever you do.. Don't buy a Nissan (those things are [ba430cb4fd0]shit[/colora430cb4fd0][/ba430cb4fd0])

CollidgeGraduit

13-04-2006 15:11:15

Personally I prefer this car..

http/" alt=""/img98.imageshack.us/img="98/9885/22875638hd.gif[" alt=""/imgafbdebc8d9]

Vector

13-04-2006 15:32:28

as long as it is japanese you are fine....

HYUNDAI IS KOREAN!

ajrock2000

13-04-2006 15:34:19

[quotebd1dadbb51="CollidgeGraduit"]Personally I prefer this car..

http/" alt=""/img98.imageshack.us/img="98/9885/22875638hd.gif[" alt=""/imgbd1dadbb51][/quotebd1dadbb51]

lol +karma

Veek

13-04-2006 15:45:27

LOLLLL @ CG.

bigchan2k

13-04-2006 17:34:16

In my family, we have 2 Toyotas and 1 Acura (which is mine). Having driven all 3, I like the feel of the Acura more. It has a little harder suspension than the Toyotas so you can feel more of the road and you also have excellent control of the car (steering-wise). Of course, the downside to this is that when you hit a pothole or something, you'll feel it a lot. The Toyotas make for a little more comfortable ride with the softer suspension. Also, from my experience though, the Toyotas are easier to maintain (hardly needs any maintenance). My Acura has had some problems here and there, but nothing major.

45udogg

14-04-2006 02:38:34

[quote07a6c03d8c="CollidgeGraduit"]Personally I prefer this car..

[" alt=""/img][/quote07a6c03d8c]

+kma to you, CG

and between toyota or honda I don't think you can go wrong, both have high quality vehicles for a good price. I agree with you, the 07 camry looks pretty sweet, I might be gettin that one myself

iamzim

14-04-2006 03:20:11

any idea where I can pick that car up CG??? screw the toyota or honda now!! i know what i'm getting!!! +kma for making me laugh today )

amir89630

15-04-2006 10:28:22

TOYOTA homes. ACURA is pretty good too tho, but alil $$$ pricy