Rapper from D12 shot and killed

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=37149

Aurelius

11-04-2006 11:27:23

not my type of music but for all those who might care...

Proof Shot Dead
Proof of the hip-hop group D12 was shot and killed this morning at an illegal afterhours club on Eight Mile, police said.

Proof, whose real name is Deshaun Holton, was dead on arrival at Conner Creek Medical Center in Detroit, according to a spokeswoman for St. John Health System. He was 32.

Proof was among the most pivotal players on the Detroit hip-hop scene, and revered as one of the best freestyle MCs in the city. He befriended Eminem long before he was a houshold name, and was a nearly constant presence as the rapper rose to superstardom. He toured with Eminem as his on-stage hype man, was a member of his group D12, had a bit role in the "8 Mile" movie and served as the best man at his wedding in January.

An unidentified 35-year-old man, who was shot along with Proof, is in critical condition at Detroit's St. John Hospital.

Police were called to the shootings around 5 a.m, following reports of a fight and shots fired.
The club where it occurred is called 3C, and it's at 8 Mile near Hayes. The club isn't illegal but it was operating illegally after hours.

This is the second shooting involving Eminem's entourage in three months.

t.money

11-04-2006 11:49:17

Source?

KeithA

11-04-2006 11:50:05

http//news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=rapper+proof&btnG=Search+News[]http//news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=rapper+proof&btnG=Search+News

Stroid

11-04-2006 12:30:05

damn that blows i always liked proof

good2speed

11-04-2006 12:37:54

before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly. Well for the most part. The report doesn't say anything about a robbery so I can only imagine there was an altercation or beef which led to the shooting. Why rappers who have sold many records and went on world tours continue to live the street life is beyond me.
Not to be deragotory or dissmissive but a hiphop quote is

you can take a nigga out the hood but you can't take the hood out the nigga.

Analysis of this quote also leads me to believe that some rappers or young black males will continue to lead a destructive life regardless of financial success.

I Can remember a time where blowing up and moving out the hood to distance one's self from abject poverty was considered a good thing. Seems like rappers today would rather just attain material wealth and remain in the hood rather than move out and create a better life for them and their family.

I feel remorseful and confused at the same time. How can someone attain so much success and continue to put himself in a situation where he can be killed for petty reasons at a given notice.

I also don't undertsand the negative stereotype associated to rappers who move out and never return to their old neighborhoods. 50 cent recieves a lot of flak for not getting anhy respect in his hometown of South side Jamaica, even though it's in his and his family's best interest that he remains outside of the hood. He's already been shot so I suppose heknows better. JayZ who must live in NYC penthouses still gives respect to Marcy projects but is smart enough to realize that his star status prevents him from living a past life

CollidgeGraduit

11-04-2006 12:39:27

[quoted06ef1e963="good2speed"]before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly.[/quoted06ef1e963]

You've never lived in Detroit, have you? ;)

good2speed

11-04-2006 12:44:33

[quotefce03470ad="CollidgeGraduit"][quotefce03470ad="good2speed"]before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly.[/quotefce03470ad]

You've never lived in Detroit, have you? ;)[/quotefce03470ad]

i see the wink so I suppose your being somewhat sarcastic. But I've lived in Ny and have seen or heard about a lot of shootings. Of course stray bullets fly and hit an unintended target but I've rarely heard of a scenario of a gunmen opening fire on a random group of people without provocation. The only instance I can remember that happening is some dude shot Long Island reailroad passengers on their way home from work.

kdollar

11-04-2006 13:00:11

while i agree with ur statement, that also was his home through his childhood, so maybe he doesnt live there but makes visits maybe as a reminder of where he came from, so wealth and success doesnt go to his head, and by bad luck got shot one day

Wolfeman

11-04-2006 13:02:45

[quote4dc37a5f13="CollidgeGraduit"][quote4dc37a5f13="good2speed"]before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly.[/quote4dc37a5f13]

You've never lived in Detroit, have you? ;)[/quote4dc37a5f13]
MurderTown, USA...

good2speed

11-04-2006 13:41:44

[quote8dd6ed754e="kdollar"]while i agree with ur statement, that also was his home through his childhood, so maybe he doesnt live there but makes visits maybe as a reminder of where he came from, so wealth and success doesnt go to his head, and by bad luck got shot one day[/quote8dd6ed754e]

doubt it was a case of bad luck. I'll retract my statement from people dont get shot randomly to rappers dont get shot randomly. 95% of the time a shot is fired at a rapper it is done by a gunmen who is well aware of the victim's status. Would be a horrible if it was just a robbery and he was killed over some jewelry. I haven't heard of such a lead so I can only assume there was provocation or some beef. The victim being a rapper just helps to enforce my belief.

Ok off the top of my head playing detective with some leads.

D12 and royce get into serious beef where shots might be fired. Was a point where assumed beef was over not sure of the current status.

Obie Trice shot on det hgwy. Very close to D12 aND Eminem. Police should try to join links of both cases since they seem somewhat similar. Shootings against a group of close rappers with no intention of robbery. ie serious beef. likely the same suspects. something to look into...

to be continued.

can the cops ever solve a hiphop murder?......

ibtheib

11-04-2006 13:47:18

[quotec02e069801="good2speed"][quotec02e069801="CollidgeGraduit"][quotec02e069801="good2speed"]before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly.[/quotec02e069801]

You've never lived in Detroit, have you? ;)[/quotec02e069801]

i see the wink so I suppose your being somewhat sarcastic. But I've lived in Ny and have seen or heard about a lot of shootings. Of course stray bullets fly and hit an unintended target but I've rarely heard of a scenario of a gunmen opening fire on a random group of people without provocation. The only instance I can remember that happening is some dude shot Long Island reailroad passengers on their way home from work.[/quotec02e069801]

Many incendiary comments deleted by CG.

--If you can't get your point across intelligently, please don't waste the space.

good2speed

11-04-2006 14:02:36

[quoteb90567bc13="ibtheib"]
u really are an idiot. people get killed daily for no reason around the globe. ever heard of gang initiations? well where i live (in jersey city nj), to enter a gang, u sit in a car with another gang member. the next caru see that flashes its headlights, you gotta drive after them and kill everyone in the car. its either that or the gang ur trying 2 get initiated to kills u.

so yeah people do get killed for no reason. a lot. and for ur little rant about proof, learn ur hiphop history. proof is one of the greats, im still in shock about his death. rap has had a great loss this day... without him ur little pussy ass rapper called the game wouldnt exist, cause god know he doesnt have the talent 2 have made it big w. out dre's help. eminem is part of the reason dre got so big. and proof made eminem. think about that. and btw the game is garbage.[/quoteb90567bc13]

Don't hold back. Tell me how you really feel

wow you sure are an opinionated one.

You should join that well caring gang of yours in Jersey Cuty. Seems like good people.

lol lol

ah if nitriv didnt say that thing about Vince Young you just mioght have made my sig with that Proof is one of the greatest comments.

One of the greatest? One of the greatest?

Well maybe if you extend your list of greatest to 80.

Your still in shock huh?

k what else did you say lets see.

how does proof have anthing to do with Game.

Let me guess bc Eminem got with Dre and blew up Proof also gets that respect. Wrong Dre found Game in Compton not Detroit. Dre wouldve put out Game with or without Eminem, 50 cent, or D12. He just decided to capitalize on the buzz Gunit created and put Game on with 50 and them.

Eminem got made by Proof?

thats pretty pathetic. Jay rapped with Biggie but didnt ever get made by Biggie. Lox got put on by bad boy but they were never made by Puffy. being made by someone is some bitch shit. Kim was made by Big. Chingy was made by Luda

thought about it and threw it out the window. Eminem mightve rapped with Proof but he made himself.

I feel bad for what happened but still believe he put himself in a bad situation.

Wolfeman

11-04-2006 14:04:25

If I had to guess I'd say it was retaliation, fight gone to far, or robbery gone bad but we will see...

FreeOffersNow

11-04-2006 14:05:40

[quote59bfa7f977="good2speed"]before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly....JayZ who must live in NYC penthouses still gives respect to Marcy projects but is smart enough to realize that his star status prevents him from living a past life[/quote59bfa7f977]

I clipped out most of the quote...but that was a pretty thoughtful rant. I'm not saying I agree with it...but it really seemed like you either stole someone else's thoughts, or wrote a paper on it at some point ;)

good2speed

11-04-2006 14:09:24

[quotec0327bca44="FreeOffersNow"][quotec0327bca44="good2speed"]before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly....JayZ who must live in NYC penthouses still gives respect to Marcy projects but is smart enough to realize that his star status prevents him from living a past life[/quotec0327bca44]

I clipped out most of the quote...but that was a pretty thoughtful rant. I'm not saying I agree with it...but it really seemed like you either stole someone else's thoughts, or wrote a paper on it at some point ;)[/quotec0327bca44]

nah just catching a breather from a heavy work and travel week. Pretty relaxing just to sit here and rant..

kdollar

11-04-2006 14:11:11

a real rapper......

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza[]http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza

good2speed

11-04-2006 14:16:40

[quote42607cb0ea="kdollar"]a real rapper......

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza[]http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza[/quote42607cb0ea]

lol guess Proof will have to be the second greatest after kfed drops.

damn I liked Proof's rhymes and feel bad about his death. No more jokes about Proof.

williebeamin2000

11-04-2006 14:19:24

it sucks that he died, but i mean what do you expect when you try to live a life like that, and if he died without fault then im sorry about everything that has been said on here so far.

MakeDamnSureTBS

11-04-2006 14:38:06

RIP not a big fan of rap he got shot in the head (

dmorris68

11-04-2006 14:38:30

[quote5a801a4c0b="ibtheib"]... some rediculous stuff about a gang initiation that has never actually happened ...[/quote5a801a4c0b]
Dude, you are so bogus. That old "gang initiation" story is an old, OLD urban legend that has been passed around for 20+ years but never really happened.

Click -> Google is your friend.[=http//www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL2005-09,GGGLen&q=gang+initiation+headlight]Google is your friend.

Wolfeman

11-04-2006 14:41:31

My sister dated Proof. She is bummed...

ajasax

11-04-2006 14:47:51

Sadly, not surprising. It's like hearing about a rock star dying from OD. Not being racist but most likely gang-related, drug deal gone bad, or just jealousy of his wealth and fame.

kevxross

11-04-2006 14:48:34

[quoteaed372b2b1="kdollar"]a real rapper......

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza[]http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza[/quoteaed372b2b1]

I prefer the remix[=http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaiJIbweU6g]the remix.

Armstrong

11-04-2006 19:41:12

[quote037f657ea8="Wolfeman"][quote037f657ea8="CollidgeGraduit"][quote037f657ea8="good2speed"]before I feel bad for what happened to proof I must remind myself that people don't get shot and killed randomly.[/quote037f657ea8]

You've never lived in Detroit, have you? ;)[/quote037f657ea8]
MurderTown, USA...[/quote037f657ea8]

These Fucking playboys won't quit giving our city a bad name! Im getting real tired of it. Detroit has tried so hard to rebuild both the city and its image, then punks like these go around shooting like a bunch of cowboys and single handedly bring it all down. I hope the rest of this band gets shot in some other city so they too don't crap out detroit. I understand its a poor and faltering city, but were not going to get anywhere when a bunch of worthless thugs go running around with loaded weapons.

agree or disagree, I live in downtown detroit so I'm allowed my opinion...

bballp6699

11-04-2006 19:50:55

Why in the world would you want to know so much about rap?

I like Rock music. I don't know my favorite band's biography. Oh well, maybe it's just me... shrug

PoPoJiJo

11-04-2006 19:54:47

The gang initiation your talking about is an urban myth but for some gangs you do have to kill someone before they let you in and sometimes the only criteria is the color of the persons skin

Sweeney2066

11-04-2006 23:27:25

[quote1612ed813a="ajasax"]Sadly, not surprising. It's like hearing about a rock star dying from OD. Not being racist but most likely gang-related, drug deal gone bad, or just jealousy of his wealth and fame.[/quote1612ed813a]

Well no shit. Most deaths are caused from feuds or money or respect in any aspect of life.

midnightgt

12-04-2006 00:26:14

First off good2speed +karma, i agree with everything u said.

[quote4d952df8aa="bballp6699"]Why in the world would you want to know so much about rap?

I like Rock music. I don't know my favorite band's biography. Oh well, maybe it's just me... shrug[/quote4d952df8aa]
It is more a part of the music then any other genre. Many raps are dedicated to the rappers personal life styles, including gang relations, drug sales, and beefs with other rappers. Any listener explain a rapper's story.

akalic

12-04-2006 01:10:52

[quoteb4b0167853="kevxross"][quoteb4b0167853="kdollar"]a real rapper......

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza[]http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv3IrK5_Pg&search=popoza[/quoteb4b0167853]

I prefer the remix[=http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaiJIbweU6g]the remix.[/quoteb4b0167853]

AHAHAHA and both videos, shit. thats too good

good2speed

13-04-2006 08:14:29

just heard a report that Proof was the first to fire a shot

CollidgeGraduit

13-04-2006 08:34:39

[quote649cc802c6="good2speed"]just heard a report that Proof was the first to fire a shot[/quote649cc802c6]

Yup, he pistol-whipped and shot an unarmed man, and that man's cousin shot Proof in retaliation.

bballp6699

13-04-2006 08:36:15

Good for him.

He seems like he was a real role model.

Sweeney2066

13-04-2006 09:48:16

That's pretty dick of Proof but I wouldn't mind hearing the reasoning behind it. I still like the guy.

idrinklisterine

13-04-2006 09:56:56

Right now it seems like the story is that Proof pistol whipped and shot an unarmed man after an argument over a pool game. He was shot by the man's cousin as he was standing over the victim's body.

good2speed

13-04-2006 10:12:02

[quote398234b0c3="idrinklisterine"]Right now it seems like the story is that Proof pistol whipped and shot an unarmed man after an argument over a pool game. He was shot by the man's cousin as he was standing over the victim's body.[/quote398234b0c3]

at least I now know to just walk away from a bad pool game. Thats not a way to die. Damn I may never play pool again. Everyone be on the lookout for Mike Massey he may be a prime suspect

http//www.insidepool.com/images/upload/Mike_Massey_TSM.jpg[" alt=""/img398234b0c3]

halfbreed

13-04-2006 11:52:22

Proof had some kickass rhymes, that sucks that he died...watch Eminem is next. And didn't em rap in 'Like Toy Soldiers' that he would walk away from it all before letting get any further.

Wolfeman

13-04-2006 11:54:05

Where are you guys hearing this about him shooting first because I heard only 2 people got shot, him and his friend. My sister said he wasn't like a thug, he was just a nice guy...

good2speed

13-04-2006 12:04:03

[quote8a9d16c748="halfbreed"]Proof had some kickass rhymes, that sucks that he died...watch Eminem is next. And didn't em rap in 'Like Toy Soldiers' that he would walk away from it all before letting get any further.[/quote8a9d16c748]

Eminem has way too much security to ever be shot. Plus he doesn't hang out in the hood no more. He grew up out that and once he discovered penthouses and what not he'll never go back.

[quote8a9d16c748="Wolfeman"]Where are you guys hearing this about him shooting first because I heard only 2 people got shot, him and his friend. My sister said he wasn't like a thug, he was just a nice guy...[/quote8a9d16c748]

radio. No disrespect but your sister's not the best reference for who Proof really was?

Wolfeman

13-04-2006 12:05:04

[quote8de9127076="good2speed"][quote8de9127076="halfbreed"]Proof had some kickass rhymes, that sucks that he died...watch Eminem is next. And didn't em rap in 'Like Toy Soldiers' that he would walk away from it all before letting get any further.[/quote8de9127076]

Eminem has way too much security to ever be shot. Plus he doesn't hang out in the hood no more. He grew up out that and once he discovered penthouses and what not he'll never go back.

[quote8de9127076="Wolfeman"]Where are you guys hearing this about him shooting first because I heard only 2 people got shot, him and his friend. My sister said he wasn't like a thug, he was just a nice guy...[/quote8de9127076]

radio. No disrespect but your sister's not the best reference for who Proof really was?[/quote8de9127076]
I trust someone that actually knew him and dated him over the radio...

t.money

13-04-2006 12:11:51

Your sister dated him?

zomg.

Wolfeman

13-04-2006 12:14:12

[quote117505b4b6="t.money"]Your sister dated him?

zomg.[/quote117505b4b6]
Yeah. They dated for a short time but she kept in contact with him. She said he wasn't the "gangsta" type. Thats just what you have to be in public I guess to sell albums shrug

Veek

13-04-2006 12:15:19

Meh.

good2speed

13-04-2006 12:16:41

prrof was never considered a gangster even in the rap world. But no one knows how he realy acted. Guys are different with their ladies than when they are single. Who knows it could have been over some girl.

From the reports which are spreading now it sounds like he had a gun and used it on another. I still dont consider him gangster just someone who possibly had a short fuse.

bballp6699

13-04-2006 12:30:06

He wasn't considered a gangsta until he missed the 8 ball in the corner pocket.

dmorris68

13-04-2006 12:59:46

[quote341da673ba="Wolfeman"]Where are you guys hearing this about him shooting first because I heard only 2 people got shot, him and his friend. My sister said he wasn't like a thug, he was just a nice guy...[/quote341da673ba]
It's all over the news now, Wolfie. Says he shot the guy after a fight, then the guy's cousin who is a bouncer there shot him. The cops are even saying it'll probably be ruled self-defense from all the witness statements, who are all pinning it on Proof as the one who started everything.

Veek

13-04-2006 13:00:28

Not much of a nice guy.

good2speed

13-04-2006 13:12:49

Whats the status update on the person he shot. Is he dead or living?

dmorris68

13-04-2006 13:57:32

[quotea0fec242bc="good2speed"]Whats the status update on the person he shot. Is he dead or living?[/quotea0fec242bc]
Critical condition, last I heard.

kevxross

13-04-2006 14:01:02

I don't even know who "Proof" is outside of this thread, but after reading this and assuming it's the truth, I'm glad he's dead.

Brutus

13-04-2006 14:14:45

CNN Article[=http//www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/13/music.rapdeaths.ap/index.html]CNN Article

good2speed

13-04-2006 14:43:08

[quotef4d01a9cea="Brutus"]CNN Article[=http//www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/13/music.rapdeaths.ap/index.html]CNN Article[/quotef4d01a9cea]

very good article by CNN surprised they had a good hiphop editorial.

Pretty much mimicked much of what I said.

suspicious CNN has been reading this thread wink

except for this quote

[quotef4d01a9cea]
"Many of us rappers are trapped within the stereotypes and images projected and sensationalized by the media," he said. "We find ourselves trying to live these wild-cowboys ideas. Our concept of manhood is taught on a street level.

"In the rap game, it's one of the few jobs where you can smoke weed all day and actually be working."[/quotef4d01a9cea]

kdollar

13-04-2006 15:08:51

"Proof's friends said his allegiance to the ghettos of his hometown, and his willingness to partake in dangerous situations, grew even as his success afforded him other options."

i knew i was right.