Foreign Accent Syndrome

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=36894

SeniorDave

06-04-2006 20:14:17

I just saw this on Primetime and thought it was pretty intresting. Wake up one morning and have a foreign accent. First I've ever heard of it.

More Info Here[=http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_accent_syndrome]Here

ajasax

06-04-2006 20:34:41

It's on right now for me. I've heard of it before on an online news article about this woman in Florida who had a stroke and woke up with an English accent. Pretty interesting. And those people that actually wanted to be amputees? That was strange...

SeniorDave

06-04-2006 20:36:08

[quote252f75903b="ajasax"]It's on right now for me. I've heard of it before on an online news article about this woman in Florida who had a stroke and woke up with an English accent. Pretty interesting. And those people that actually wanted to be amputees? That was strange...[/quote252f75903b]

Yeah I was watching that with my mom, it's sick how the guy froze his legs so the doctors would be forced to amputate it. Wait until you watch the next story ? shock ?

ilanbg

06-04-2006 20:39:49

What's really weird is noticing your own vernacular changing over the course of a year or so when you change schools or something.

Wolfeman

06-04-2006 21:04:32

I'd love to wake up with an English accent. Chicks are into it...

i blame history

06-04-2006 22:45:35

i watched that show. my mom was a double above the knee amputee, most definately not by choice.
now, i can find even the slightest bit of 'legitimacy' in many things people do their bodies that i would never do (tattoos, extensive piercings, suspensions, tongue splitting, penis splitting [if i had one], etc) because i can see bits of reason, even if i think something is completely ridiculous. but with this amputation thing, i can honestly say for the first time in my life that this is the one thing that i completely can not understand. its not a "ohmygawdYERSICK oh noes YOU IDIOT!" lack of understanding, but more of i have thought about this, and thought some more, and all i can say is that i can come up with no idea why someone would have this desire. i know many people would react to it with much disgust, but i just sat there with my mouth hanging open, wanting to cry or something.
its sad that the one guy regrets his decision now. its him that made me re think what i said to my boyfriend ealrier in the program... i said that while i have absolutely no understanding of it and i find it extremely disturbing after seeing what my mom went through in a non voluntary situation, i would still almost support doctors performing surgeries to give these people what they want simply so they do not take matters into their own hands and end up dead. sort of like abortion... its sad that it has to exist, but it would be even worse if it was illegal, because in any situation, people will likely do what they want, and the ultimate outcome will depend on how they had to go about it.
but when that guy said he regreted what he did, i realized that its not as simple as "well, if they want it, lets at least do it right..." but with that, you also get into other irreversable things, like sex changes, hysterectomies, many cosmetic surgeries.... it opens up a whole can of worms.
truly sad condition, though. i may not be able to see any legitimacy in wanting to remove a [healthy, problem free] limb, but somehow, beyond my level of comprehension, some people find it absolutely necessary.

/sorry about the topic change

h3x

06-04-2006 23:24:22

It just finished about half an hour ago here.. I was mostly interested in the 'killer alarm clock' and the newly discovered pages about Judas.

d3athtonic

07-04-2006 08:45:09

Whenever I talk to someone with a foreign ascent, I mysteriously start talkin like him for the next 5 mins or so. I think that's one of the symptoms.

ajasax

07-04-2006 09:03:27

Lol. That happened to me one time. I went to my Calc. profs office to talk to him. I accidentally said a word with an English accent when I was talking with him lol What can I say....I just like the English accent wink

SeniorDave

07-04-2006 12:31:01

[quote3fe9f599a7="h3x"]It just finished about half an hour ago here.. I was mostly interested in the 'killer alarm clock' and the newly discovered pages about Judas.[/quote3fe9f599a7]

I was going to make a thread about the Judas pages, but I figured that would open up a huge religious debate and end up getting nasty. Then I was going to post about the killer alarm clock, but I thought this was more funny / intresting. The amputee thing was just too depressing. Really made me sad when he said how he misses the sand under his toes....... cry

Sweeney2066

07-04-2006 15:28:11

[quote88622e1329="SeniorDave"]
I was going to make a thread about the Judas pages, but I figured that would open up a huge religious debate and end up getting nasty. Then I was going to post about the killer alarm clock, but I thought this was more funny / intresting. The amputee thing was just too depressing. Really made me sad when he said how he misses the sand under his toes....... cry[/quote88622e1329]

What was the killer alarm clock?

SeniorDave

07-04-2006 17:23:35

the killer alarm was about this girl who died from the shock of her alarm clock. Apprently there's some disease where any loud random noise (cell phone, buzzer at basketball game, alarm clock, any loud unexpected noise in general) can make you have a heart attack, or stroke. I don't really remember. Has something to do with EKG tests if you want to try and google it...... ?